Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally My '26 Chevy Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Six Ball, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I was talking about getting zero deck height. The Ross pistons stick out 0.020 and the 307s are about 0.020 down the cylinder. Actually that would be fine for my use just use a thin gasket. Save the Ross pistons for the next one.:rolleyes: I have 2 more blocks.

Tim and Outback like this.
  2. Twisted6

Twisted6

Aw I got you now. I am fixing to step up My Game with these Big boys. Not to take from your topic.

Attached Files:

Six Ball likes this.
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

So what are you up to now? Pulling a Burt Monroe? :D

brEad likes this.
  4. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I think sixball is referring to the compression height of the newer pistons, where the mfgrs take it upon themselves to raise the piston pin height in relation to the top of the piston, thereby dropping the slug into the hole - all claimed to be needed to lower compression ratio due to bad gas... They used to be referred to as "stroker pistons". These shenanigans only increase to deck height space, & there goes your squish + "mechanical octane". = Sucks huge x large.
    Only cure is proper pistons, or cut the deck - a lot... Or offset grind the crank stroke to compensate for the amt down in the hole = beat the bastards at their own game, gaining cubes n comp n squish back... :D .
    Marcus...

5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yeah, That is what I was trying to say! :)

Stogy likes this.
  6. Twisted6

Twisted6

Nope

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Got everything off the wall today so tomorrow I can pull nails stuff was hanging on and put up furring strips for pegboard. I found 2 half sheets of pegboard in the corner behind the blast cabinet. I also found the rest of the transmission so now I can finish the floor shift conversion and assemble it.
    100_0691.JPG

100_0692.JPG

8. Twisted6

Twisted6

You're moving along , Looking good Tom.

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't realize you had that much headroom...lots of space for a lift...

Feels good eh!!

Outback, Six Ball and TFoch like this.
  10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I think I would be inclined to paint the walls while you can. It makes things a lot brighter.

patmanta, Stogy, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Not quite enough room for a lift. :(
    I though about painting but I'm using white pegboard. It'll be about the same. I will probably paint what doesn't get pegboard.
    Yeah , Larry moving but didn't get out today and won't the next few days either.

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

As a tie into the current subjects in hoping my 153 has flattops in it.

much smaller than your monster inliner the little 4 I’m using was also a power source. It was bolted right to a big power take off, had a weird back draft carb and governor on it.

I’ve read there were 3 different piston shapes that came in these the 307/flattop was used in propane engines so I’m crossing my fingers for now and half way keeping an eye out for some cheap to free 307 pistons just in case

brEad and Six Ball like this.
  13. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Great thread, keep it up:)

Six Ball likes this.
  14. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

I'd still see if there's one you can shoe horn in there. It does look like a lot of space in the pics, but pics are often deceiving. How tall are the walls?

Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  15. Twisted6

Twisted6

I am picking up dead 153 I think Unless it is a 181 , But do know it is froze up more then likely tighter then dicks hat band from the looks of the photo. But nothing a nice amount of heat won't fit. I'll melt them old puppy's out of the block.

Six Ball likes this.
  16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

10' I think but I'll measure it. My issue is the relatively little time I need a lift compared to having to stumble around it the rest of the time. I'm trying to free up floor space in the 16'x24' tall space though it is 24'x24' counting the shorter 8'x 24' lean to side

I passed on a 181 a while back because of rust. I wish I had grabbed it now.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  17. Twisted6

Twisted6

I am just going to use it to do Part fitment I have both heads. After this upcoming weekend I will get back on that side cover And I will get those others back to you.

Six Ball likes this.
  18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Larry. I forgot about that. Was it just a stock stamped side cover? Just keep it no since spending money on it.

19. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

OMG, I have been over here a couple time and knew you were cleaning, but I'm really glad to see what you've accomplished. Really looks under control. Not only does the space looks great now, it looks pretty clean all around the frame. Good job, that is a herculean effort, hadn't realized how busy you were...now you're making me feel bad...you've been way busier than me...:oops:

Six Ball, Tim and Outback like this.
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks, encouragement is helpful. Headed out in a few minutes to start tacking up furring strips. All of the open wall space will soon be covered with hanging parts & tools. A big part of the sorting process will be what deserves wall space or what will help make work time be time more efficient. Everything left after the walls fill up again is in danger. After this wall there is the back wall to do. It has a lot of area with no obstructions. There is a nice sign that says CITY CARAGE that was used in the Clint Eastwood movie Honkytonk Man largely filmed here. I got this and a ton of good oat hay when they were done. Got to meet Clint Eastwood & his son, Marty Robbins, and John Russell (The Lawman). I almost got the windmill from the beginning of the video. The sign was on a building across the street from the jail break scene. The car in front in the jail break belonged to a friend they repainted it for her.

I can almost see my frame on the chassis table again.

Tim, TraditionalToolworks and Outback like this.
  21. Twisted6

Twisted6

Tom
    You sent me a stock and a marine side cover. And I think??? I will be getting one alone with this motor I am picking up. And I hope he has an oil pan, And I am kind of thinking he said he had that as well.

22. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

See, you could have taken advantage of him, as some other unnamed person may have done.;)

Six Ball likes this.
  23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Larry, I don't have a need for them right now if you want to send the MerCruiser one back I'll hang it up with the rocker cover just to keep them together till they find a new home either on one of my other engines or someone else's.

24. Twisted6

Twisted6

I kinda am LOL I am making billet covers. That is why he sent me the covers .

Six Ball likes this.
  25. Twisted6

Twisted6

Hey Tom does that 153 or 181 have Motor mount bosses on it??

Six Ball likes this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Larry, My blocks, all 153, have a pair of holes about 4 1/2" apart on each side 1" above the pan rail. They are in individual square bosses. The right one is just below the fuel pump. I plan to makefront mounts that use existing holes and a transmission mount off the center of the BW T86.

27. Twisted6

Twisted6

Nope not this bad boy LOL But I did see another pic from a friend who has pretty much the same block. It uses the holes next to the timing cover. So pretty much a Block plate would be needed But I have No plans to ever rebuild this thing so Really it's no big deal to me.

Six Ball likes this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Still chipping away. Lots of things interfering with my time. I'm not going to get as much done as I hoped before the Inliner Convention a month away.
    It is tough having to do it in small pieces. I had a hard time putting up an almost full sheet of pegboard. Had to use jack stands and lift from the ladder/scaffold. Also that sheet got wet and did not dry flat. Too lazy to fix it. Next time I'll trim the full sheet to fit at the bottom so I only have to lift smaller pieces all the way up. The work bench & chassis table have disappeared again but the bench will be back when I get the cabinets back up.
    Got some parts hung so they're not piled on other stuff. Some of this was hung before but some came from other places. There is a lot more to go on the rest of this wall. I raised the shelf under the window and turned it around so it clears the lid of the parts washer. I have to go to town tomorrow for a doctor appointment. I'll pick up 3 more sheets of pegboard, more screws, and some mollies to mount the cabinets.
    100_0710.JPG 100_0712.JPG 100_0715.JPG

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  29. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Don't you just love trying big stuff all by yourself? Looks like you did great. Making good headway. I like seeing your different parts up!

Six Ball likes this.
  30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Stay tuned the Studebaker parts are lining up with the Chevy four extras. Also had to order a bunch more hooks.

Jet96, Outback and Tim like this.