Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need advice on build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doug Sonnenberg, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Hi everyone. Im building a 1929 chrysler roadster. Im working on fixing the cowl. Im wondering how to connect the cowl to a subframe/floor. How is the section in my picture with the arrows welded. Also how did you make the pilars where the door would attach. See my picture, where i have my arrows is where im wondering how to attach. I have to make my own subframe/floor structure and i plan on using 2x1 and 1x1 rectangular/square tubing. Any suggestions and please post pics. Thanks
    Screenshot_20220423-192908_Gallery.jpg

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Run some square or rectangular tube inside to mount hinges as well as strengthen overall body/ cowl . You get as fancy as you want for body mounts . Google Model A’s or 1948 Ford F1’s . Google body mounts ideas should set you on the path .

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Also , mount of your subframe after tying it in to your body .

4. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

So where i have the areows in my picture is that just spot welded to a piece of tubing?

5. twenty8

twenty8

Yeah, I know it's a Ford and not a Chrysler, but this should be very helpful for you.

47chevycoupe likes this.
  6. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Thank you. Yes he has some great videoas. I have watched alot of them for inspiration amd ideas.

7. twenty8

twenty8

The early part of that video shows the cowl mounts and the front pillars. No reason you couldn't do something similar. Either that, or you will have to find a '29 Chrysler for reference.

8. evintho

evintho

I built a cowl cage for my roadster. 1" square tubing, 1/8" wall. Welded the 4 uprights to my 2"x3" rect tube frame then bolted the cowl to the cage with strategically placed 1/4" buttonhead bolts threaded into the square tubing.

P2160024_zpsmskrqouu.jpg

P2160022_zpsqp2bnn1m.jpg

Just Gary likes this.
  9. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Nice job!! I want to do the same thing and build some sort of cage in my cowl. Mostly to attach steering wheel and hang pedals. Thanks for the pic

10. Or bend a piece on a 90* then shape with a shrinker/stretcher to the desired contour.
    That would build a clean jamb. You can brace with tubing if desired behind it.

11. Jinocraf35

Jinocraf35

I really like to watch restorations or discussions about car restorations. I enjoy watching a tin can be transformed into a new car, as if after a salon. It's cool that there's a discussion about this stuff, I just keep an eye out for new cars and old ones have always been interesting to me. Check out the replicar club website if anyone is interested in learning more about this kind of forum.