Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

This was a AAA event, sanction number 1462. I think it's fair to say that the AAA wasn't overly interested in dirt track racing at the time, merely tolerating it, hence the "backwater" atmosphere! However, roundabout this time a reappraisal took place, and bit by bit things did improve until Sprint car racing, much as we know it today, took off in the thirties. Perhaps you may be interested in reading a post I made on another board a few years back, titled "1924, and all that!", which deals quite extensively with that reappraisal: https://forums.autosport.com/topic/148375-reading-fairgrounds-pennsylvania/?p=5057071

As for assumed names, all kinds of reasons I guess: showmanship, "branding", hiding from rival associations, irate wives, worried mothers, or even the IRS? Take your pick :D

Old Dawg likes this.
  2. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

To be perfectly frank, I don't remember all the details - it's been several years since I looked into this! I don't think Duesenberg built that many racing cars, in fact I think this was one of only three built to that specification. It's possible that the streamlining was part of special preparations for the record attempts, which would then perhaps have been removed to make it easier to service during regular racing - but really, I don't know. Numbers were usually assigned for the long run, but not necessarily so - you can sometimes spot remnants of old numbers, simply painted over. If I recall correctly, this particular car kept its number #10 from 1919 for the early 1920 events, and I even think I can recall that I used the wind-cheating shield before the driver's head as the main identifier - no guarantees, though!

Suffice it to say, its engine was then used in the Milton double-eight LSR car, while a new 183 CID straight eight went into it for Indy, where it was either #29 or #31, to be replaced later in the year by a new chassis. At some point, my guess is that one of the engines from the record car went back into the original racing chassis (i.e. this one or its sister car), and ended up with Norm Batten. The other chassis was likely the one that ended up with the Miller engine from the Durant Special wreck which killed Roscoe Sarles in 1922 - it was then owned and/or raced by Al Melcher, and underwent a few modifications over the next dozen years or so, while it popped up infrequently racing in California. The third chassis of this type seems to have kept its engine, and stayed in the east, although I don't recall any particulars. The other engine from the record car probably went to Ira Vail first, then to Bill Albertson and finally Charlie Ganung before I lose track.

EDIT: Had a chance for a quick look at my records, the third car that stayed in the East appears to have ended up with Jimmie Benedict in New York State. However, it seems its engine came from LSR car, too, so maybe it was its original engine that went to Vail/Albertson/Ganung... Hope I don't sound too confusing! :confused::(:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    Old Dawg and Carter like this.
  3. 96HP

96HP

1923 Fiet Mefistofele Racer  243.jpg

Does anyone know the original color of the 1924 Fiat Mefistofele racer? I see both red and black examples.

motoklas and bugatti7 like this.
  4. 96HP

96HP

Does anyone have any B&W photos of the 1920 Maybach Special?
    Specs:
    Wheelbase?
    Width?
    Etc
    1920 Maybach Special Rennwagen  25.jpg

Burny, motoklas, bugatti7 and 2 others like this.
  5. j hansen

j hansen

6. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Thanks to noboD's connections we now have a nice set of 1914 to 18' Dodge Brothers spindles, a tie rod and drag link for the Model T Ford racing car.

Arthur Chevrolet, who sold and built Fronty Ford racing cars, parts and components, said in an a published article that he recommends using Dodge spindles for high-speed racing for safety when using a T front axle. They can be installed after doing some machine work and making a few pieces and a set of king pins. When the right pitman arm ball is found the drag link will easily attach to the racing steering box.

The spindles are forged from Chrome Vanadium steel, and drop the car an extra 1/2 inch more than late T pieces.

c104.jpg c101.jpg

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    rod1, banjeaux bob, motoklas and 5 others like this.
  7. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

This is the late-'20s DOHC Fronty crankshaft that is part of the Fronty engine that was one of two used used in the 1913 Ford T racing car. It is extra heavy-duty and was made to stand up to the power of the single-cam S-R and DOHC "Fronty" heads, and both the mains and the rod journals are 1.625."

The rods are Chevrolet and the pistons are also Fronty, although #4 has been changed and has a slightly different dome, probably done to make a race in time.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  8. T-Head, is that crank one solid casting, or pieces that bolted/pinned together (like the Porsche twin cam 4's)???

9. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Mac, It was machined out of a forged billet of chrome-nickel steel and then heat treated. It is the revised edition of the one in the ad and made lighter by cutting down the full round webs between 1 & 2 and 3 &4.

Attached Files:

• a189.jpg
      a189.jpg
      File size:
      46.6 KB
      Views:
  10. Thanks, T- great to see you back!!!

11. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

12. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

13. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]12[/url] by David Greenlees, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Michael, I have maintained, driven, and been involved with the "Benedict Special" for 30 years. Both myself and its owner have done extensive historical research over that time. It is one of the last three four cylinder double-drop frame cars built. It was a Duesenberg team racing car that was driven by Wilber D’Arlene to a second place finish in the 1916 Indianapolis “300” that was only the only year the race didn't cover 500 miles The pre-race 1916 Indy inspection numbers remain on the right front frame horn.

The sale of the remaining four cylinder cars didn't happen until the new eight cylinder cars were ready for competition. This car was never fitted with a straight eight engine and still retains the original 16-Valve four that was in the car when Benedict purchased it.

It has always been powered by one of the Duesenberg’s 16-valve “walking beam” 300 c.i. four-cylinder engines. After the race, it was fitted with the latest version of bodywork and was sold to racing driver Jimmy Benedict of New York, who was a riding mechanic for the Duesenberg brothers on occasion. It is one of only a handful of American pre-WW1 racing cars that have survived intact; its complete history is known and documented and backed up by numerous period photos from 1916 thru to today.

The sale of the remaining four cylinder cars didn't happen until the new eight cylinder cars were ready for competition. This car was never fitted with a straight eight engine and still retains the original 16-Valve four that was in the car when Benedict purchased it.

This photo of it was taken at Lime Rock Park in 2021 when I ran it in four races at the VSCCA Fall Finale race meet. A photo of the engine and a second image with the side covers removed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    banjeaux bob and motoklas like this.
  14. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

We're talking about two different cars. Jimmie Benedict had an 8-cylinder Duesenberg after he'd sold the 4-cylinder to Louis Hoyt in 1921. It was frequently entered as a Meteor Special or Meteor Duesenberg, so my guess is it was the Dave Lewis/Ralph Mulford/Willie Haupt/Wade Morton car in 1919/'20 - this was a straight-frame car.

15. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

It was a bit confusing which was the reason for the reply :)

16. 96HP

96HP

Need some photos and information on a 1904 Panhard Levassor race car. As with any search for old race cars, info is conflicting, one site says front tires were 31" and another 34", rear tires 34" and another 36.8". Wheel base and width are also at odds. But, I really am looking for photos that are not already posted on the Vanderbiltcupreaces.com site. Please let me have any info or photos you have. Thanks

301904 Panhard Race Car  134.jpg

bugatti7, Old Dawg, Six Ball and 4 others like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

96HP is that the car that won the Vanderbilt Cup in 1905? Is so I have a copy of a glass plate negative somewhere around here. Bob

96HP likes this.
  18. 96HP

96HP

Yes, there were 3 Panhard's in the 1904 race #7, #14 and #15. One Panhard in the 1905 race #14. 1904 and 1905 Panhard's look similar, but some modifications to cowl.

The37Kid likes this.
  19. Anabel Higgin

Anabel Higgin

Hi Vitesse,

Dan Higgin was my grandfather- do you have any further information on him that you would be willing to share with me?

Many thanks

20. j hansen

j hansen

Skärmavbild 2022-06-08 kl. 14.07.24.png A long time since he was here.

21. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

312370421_10228489895368522_1741056585702195869_n.jpg Ernest Von Zelius poses with his Auto Union Grand Prix car in the 1937 Vanderbilt Cup race held at Roosevelt Raceway in New York on July 3, 1937.

jimmy six, The37Kid, Old Dawg and 2 others like this.
  22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

23. Yup- pace car for the Vanderbilt race that year :D

Six Ball and Old Dawg like this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Bob Swanson in the same Vanderbilt Cup Race, car was still racing in the 1950's, talked to the second to last driver. Somewhere in a ball in California. I'd buy it if found. Bob 12393626133_b06f978c15_b (1).jpg

Old Dawg, Six Ball, Carter and 3 others like this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [​IMG]
    SAME CAR some time around 1952. I'll buy ANY remains of it. Bob

[​IMG]

26. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I really like the tire / wheel selections on this car. I want to replicate them.

27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That won't be cheap, but would look good on your Champ!

28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I have already decided to deliver the car to Dayton Wire Wheels after which I'll take it to Chattanooga for a set of Coker track tires. I want to let their techs deal with any issues associated with the fit-up of those wheels and tires. It will be the biggest investment in my replica by far, but for a car like this cutting corners on the wheel/tire combo will not do it justice.

Six Ball and jimmy six like this.
  29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Wheels & stance gotta' be right or everything else is a waste of time. That is a big commitment. Can't wait to see it.

30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

True. I'll also be adding an additional leaf to the rear spring which will bring it up a bit in back. Right now its sitting level without me in it and I expect it to settle in a bit. I want a little more clearance under me.

Six Ball likes this.