Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest An Interview with Manuel Reyes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Apr 15, 2022.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

An Interview with Manuel Reyes

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Thanks for the interview, Joey. Manuel Rules!

J.Ukrop, Stogy and HEMI32 like this.
  3. wicarnut

wicarnut

Kool ! Thanks !

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  4. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Great interview! It's nice to see the owners talking about the cars and their histories.

Chris

J.Ukrop, Stogy and Tman like this.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Met Manuel thru Julian Alvarez at the LARS. What a nice man. They always invited me to eat with them under the big shade tree.

J.Ukrop, Stogy, lowrd and 1 other person like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fantastic Joey! It’s Friday!

7. Thanks Joey. Manuel is a great guy! He found and mixed the lacquer paint I used on my truck and invited my family and I to his house to see the spray outs when we were on holidays in California. I had the pleasure of seeing his car being assembled in his garage at the time and have him show me all the cool little touches he had done to it.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

What a great video, Joey! Manuel seems like a good dude.

9. Stogy, pwschuh, lurker mick and 6 others like this.
  10. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Thanks for this thread!! I have always liked socal hot rod history and the people involved.............

11. If you get to talk with Manuel again, ask him if he remembers this. He painted it for me in 1960. Yeah, he spelled Halibrand wrong. ;)
    [​IMG]

12. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

congrats manuel and sylvia ! great picture ! rick pontnak and mike arola. (8) Manuel & Sylvia Reyes with their '36.jpg

J.Ukrop, 41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Going to California...it's worth writing about...the Cars and Culture...pretty notable indeed...

Manuel, such a pleasant man...and what a life he has had and is still living...Joey and frankly any of you that have met this man are better for it...he has incredible vision and taste in Hotrod/Custom, that's highly evident and has had some very influential friends along the way...

Thanks for sharing...I just bumped Ryan's Thread up...why not...it never gets old...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  14. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool, thanks for this story !

15. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

While out at GNRS 2022 at the Drive In portion of the show outside the buildings, Manual and Sylvia's 36 stopped me in my tracks. Reggie and I would up spending at least an hour with them talking about that car and all the incredible and mostly subtle details on that car. So many cool details everywhere you looked, but nothing over the top, nothing too much, everything just right. You see I am a freak about 36 Fords, especially 3Ws and this one is a good as it gets. But the best part about the whole thing and that car is its owners. So much talent and yet the most gracious people on top of it. Super enjoyable hang with them.

16. Rob Magnus

Rob Magnus

My buddy and I met Manuel at the 2015 GNRS. He drove in to the parking lot in a 56 F100 and parked next to us.
    We were just a couple of Kiwis at our first big US car show, we started talking trucks as we both owned 56 F100's at that time, and ended up spending about a half hour with him. What a great humble guy, he casually told us about working on the California Kid and many other famous cars, I recall he said he owned a 36 Ford Custom, great to see the video here and nice to know he is still very active in our hobby.

17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 10.23.55 AM.png
    I love hearing everyone's Manuel Reyes memories. I first met him while working on the tale of the "15oz. Coupe" for TRJ back in 2017. From the minute we jumped on the phone, he was excited to help with the project. He's the real deal, and I'm not at all surprised to hear that everyone feels the same way. With any luck, we'll collaborate on another project soon!

18. mgermca

mgermca