Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big daddy's 1960 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 18, 2020.

1. No 4 speed man. I'm building a new house, wife left UK hospital and went to work for the police department at about a $20hr pay cut, down with a bad shoulder, etc.... I'm broke. I can't afford a flywheel, clutch set, bellhousing, hydraulic throwout bearing, etc... that'd cost me another $500 and take more time that I don't have lol... but, the plan is to get this car to Bowling Green, in 7 weeks! Then I plan on building horsepower and 4 speed, maybe this winter, maybe next, still gotta buy flooring, cabinets, siding.... the list goes on. :rolleyes:

2. Budget36

Budget36

Damn. I’ve some stuff you can use, when I round it up I’ll pm you.

Stogy, mad mikey and 427 sleeper like this.
  3. What do ya do when you're off work and have shoulder surgery? Patchwork floor! 2 floor pans for a 66 chevelle, $129 each from muscle car central, a little 18 gauge, a lot of welding, sealed and ready to paint! I'm happy with it, and now I can move on to painting the dash and putting the windshield in, and the floor shifter. Here's before and after... 20211201_174935.jpg 20220426_161857.jpg 20220426_161902.jpg

swade41, Tman, Squablow and 18 others like this.
  4. Little HUDBRITE HUD12 20220426_163458.jpg 20220426_163502.jpg makes everything beautiful, I love that shit!

5. Budget36

Budget36

Dang Lloyd, you could have left the floor pans out, saved on going through the brakes and done the Fred Flinstone thing;)

6. Looks solid big guy, I like it. One more step done.:)

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Did you test fit the seat for leg room? Mounting pads look very forward in the photo.

8. Digging that steering wheel. Floors look great to me.

9. Don't have a seat to check with yet :confused: I used 2X4 .120 wall for the floor bracing on the front mount area, 4" is to much for the rear mount pad so I'm gonna cut it down. I'll do that in a couple of days. If a seat won't work with this mount pads, I'll connect them under the pan with some 1.5" angle and drill through that.

10. Got me some sparkly to make the dash match that old wheel :D 20220426_181213.jpg

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Floor work looks awesome Lloyd...where the heck are the squirrels gonna store their nuts now...:oops:

12. SS327

SS327

13. Yep, maybe I got in too big of a rush, did it outside on the garage apron, and I didn't have any gold base so I used black, but it'll work, I don't have time to get real picky!! Picking up the driveshaft tomorrow, got all of the brake lines today. So hopefully tomorrow it'll move and stop. 20220427_183226.jpg 20220427_183213.jpg 20220427_181437.jpg

swade41, Tman, Squablow and 20 others like this.
  14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

15. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I only see one fat ass pedal hanging under that dashing dash

16. Wow man,,,,gold flake over black base looks pretty darn good !
    I like it !

Tommy

17. It's gonna need your sticker on it eventually!

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  18. Lloyd, the dash flat out rules!
    Super that Chevelle pans worked out. Glad to see you're ''taking it easy'' on the shoulder:eek:...

19. Thanks brother, I've been wearing my T&T Hot Rods hat a lot lately, it's helping me focus :D I sure hope to see you in Bowling Green this year!

20. Thanks Steve! Let me tell ya man, things are 1000 times harder to do with one good arm! Been on a 10lb restriction, go back to the surgeon tmrw, see when I'll be released.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Lol,,,,,thanks man !
    Maybe someday I can realize that dream and open my shop .
    I’m still doing good,,,,,,sorry to hear about you man .
    Yes,,,,I’m definitely planning on being there,,,,I plan on staying a few more hours this time !
    Hope you feel up to grilling a lot of good food ?
    I’m hoping to meet some more guys from on here as well,,,,it’s a great time up there !

Tommy

22. Ashley bought a Blackstone grill to take, if that gives you an idea of her plans lol... yes, Dick and Bob are coming, John Martin told me he's bringing his 34 Ford this year. John is a cool dude, another Harley engineer, he was the wrench on one of the Dicky Harrell Chevrolet funny cars in the 60's, you'll love him!

chryslerfan55, enloe, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  23. Just a small glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, makes me smile ;) 20220427_152643.jpg

24. belair

belair

Dash turned out great.

Stogy and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  25. Davesblue50

Davesblue50

Was kinda wondering about gold over black but I am sold. That is righteous.

Stogy and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  26. brando1956

brando1956

I'm smiling for sentimental reasons while I watch that floor go in. My granddad had a '59 Elky, 235 with 3 on the tree. That's all. No other options. About the same medium green metallic as your steering wheel. Got it used in about 1963, was in decent shape. He worked as an equipment operator for the road commission and his vehicle was parked in the lot near the huge piles of salt used in the winter. I am from Michigan, home of the most rusty cars in the world.
    Between the salt air where it was parked, and salt on the road, the Elky started to rust fast. First the headlight buckets rusted out and he solved that with pieces of angle iron bolted to the fenders on the outside. Fugly but functional. Then the floor and everything else started to go. There wasn't much left below the beltline and what was there was rusty as hell. He was especially fond of what he called the "rockin' chair ride" that resulted from the disappearance of the floor. He'd take off and the seat would rock back. Shift to second and you rocked ahead then back, and so on. We had just put in a reman short block in so he drove it as long as possible after doing some repairs to the floor. That really didn't change the rockin' chair effect but at least you didn't have to worry about falling through the floor.
    First car I ever drove after starting on tractors. He let me drive it around the back 40 all I wanted. Also the first and only car I have lost the brakes on and of course it happened at a most inopportune time. Dad, Gramp, and I were putting up a big 30' TV antenna/rotor. Had two 4"pipes cemented into the ground with 2 big pins. Antenna on another pipe with holes the pins slid into. We put the pin through the bottom of the 30' pipe and planned to pull it up with the Elky and slam the top pin into place. I was a couple years short of a driver's license but had lots of practice so was elected to drive while they guided things into place. All went well until we got the antenna 3-4 feet from the top. I'm going downhill so I push in the clutch and touch the brake to get slowed down so I don't pull the antenna over. My foot went to the floor. No amount of pumping had any effect. About that time the weight of the heavy antenna started pulling the Elky backward. Careful clutch application got the antenna up without damage but if you have a green Elky seat with brown streaks on the driver's side I'm real sorry. We found that some very small brush in the field we were working in touched the front crossover line behind the bumper and that's all it took to break the line.
    There is a happy ending to this story but we didn't fix the old Elky. It was just too far gone at 10 years old. The county workers voted in the Teamsters Union. Gramp got a hefty check for the one hour per day overtime the county had been screwing him out of for 25 years. The Elky lost its place in the garage to his first brand new truck.
    While I feel sentimental about the old Elky, I wouldn't want it in the condition it was in when it was sold for a couple hundred bucks. It ran great but I doubt you have ever seen such a rusty vehicle. I have grown to hate rust and if you live here you simply can't avoid it, no matter what you do. I spent a few years in your fair state as a guest of my Uncle Sam at Fort Campbell. I am increasingly tempted to move back and live the rest of my life without rust. Your winters are much kinder, but damn, does it rain hard there.

27. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

Thanks. Sounds good.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  28. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

Awesome floors considering what they are meant for. If you didn’t tell ‘em, most would not know the difference. Great work!

29. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

Thats gonna pop, The dash and pans turned out really nice. Making some good progress.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.