Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Another one followed me home

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Carl Gibbs, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Carl Gibbs

Carl Gibbs

Had chance to buy a 36 5 window and jumped on it. I absolutely did not need another project but it's my absolute favorite year and I couldn't pass it up. Been sitting since 1959. Fenders are shot. Floor is in bad shape. Plan at this point is to strip interior and fenders and see where I'm at from there. IMG_20220328_172038523.jpg

2. Carl Gibbs

Carl Gibbs

3. Congrats! I love 36 coupes!

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty complete capsule there...depending on your skillset even the fenders are salvageable...but the win win is you can sell them off and search for better replacements...congratulations...

5. Yes, fender are fixable. The rear coupe fender are super $$$$$ and the fronts are not cheap either. The fronts have a good peak and wheel opening, plus the rears are pretty good shape besides the rust.

Great find!!!.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, I've always liked the 36 Five window since a buddy had one back in the 80's.

7. congrats on the 36 !

Jim Bouchard, VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  8. Carl Gibbs

Carl Gibbs

Yup plan on fixing them. Pulling them off for now and gonna focus on getting interior stripped and putting new floor in. I ordered floor pans. I hooked a battery up to it and it actually turns over so that was pretty neat.

9. Nice find…good luck with your build.

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. Sweet ride !!!

more pics please .

nice it’s complete .

11. Just.dale

Just.dale

Nice!!!! Keep those fenders, especially the rears!! Mine were worse and I salvaged them with my minimal skills. Good luck with her!!

12. One of my favorites as well. I agree that th he rear fenders are going to be a fix what you have. Overall car looks nice and complete.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good find . Lucky duck .:D

15. Carl Gibbs

Carl Gibbs

Ordered from hot rod sheet metal .com awesome guys tow work with

16. Squablow

Squablow

Could a guy graft the inner half of the rear fenders with some sedan outers? I would assume the wheel opening area and the area where the running boards meet would be the same, but I could be wrong. I'm generally the optimist but that right front would be really tough to fix unless someone makes a really big panel.

The rest of the body looks shockingly good though in comparison, and at least the front fenders are the same on every model. Honestly, the body looks like you could buff it out and touch it up and it'd be all one color yet, that's kinda shocking.

17. SS327

SS327

Nothing that cool ever followed me home.

Budget36 likes this.
  18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Awesome find! You said it will turn over. If I could get it running, I'd be tempted to go through the mechanicals, brakes, toss a set of tires on it. Then, drive it around and to work for awhile just as it sits before tearing it apart.
    You'd essentially be driving it just as the last person did when it was parked 60+ years ago in '59.

indyjps and Big mike 1968 like this.
  19. Carl Gibbs

Carl Gibbs

I actually am tempted to take fenders off. And try and get her running and at least drive it. Im been in the barn pulling interior and pulling fenders off and trying to get it down to where I have a better look at the rust. I'll post pics as soon as I can

20. Nice car! Not so nice that you're tempted to keep it so, but not so bad, that you don't know where to start.

21. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats! Love me a 36 coupe.

22. Carl Gibbs

Carl Gibbs

23. Carl Gibbs

Carl Gibbs

24. Carl Gibbs

Carl Gibbs

Pulled most of interior and started removing fenders. I'll keep posting as I go.

tr_rodder and Petejoe like this.
  25. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

That dash looks like a lost cause so might as well send it my way :D

Great find and I'd be tempted to get it started myself!

26. Squablow

Squablow

Those floors look way better than I would have expected! Once all the shit is scraped off and vacuumed out, that looks like a pretty good platform to build from. This car might be one of those very rare examples of "better than it looks".

27. indyjps

indyjps

Thats a really good car. Having fenders at all is a win.

Running / driving / fenderless / summer?

Could be fun while you sort out parts and fix fenders, running boards etc. Definitely more fun than a disassembled pile that you have to move around.

Could clean up original paint and cut in the repairs? Buffed up black epoxy would almost match.

28. Super cool.
    One of my “dream cars”

29. cfmvw

cfmvw

Wow! With some TLC that could make a nice driver as it is!