Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Sleepers C.C. of Abington Pa. ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fast Elvis, Apr 12, 2012.

1. I wanted to ask if anyone here in the HAMB Family especially our Pa. brothers would have any info on this car club that went by the name of the Sleepers out of Abington Pa.

Here's a picture of their club jacket....any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks again, Mark

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  2. Back to the top.......thanks for any help.

3. Back to the top.....anyone?

Thanks.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Let's think of something to wake these guys up. Somebody must know where they 'repose'...

Fast Elvis and Stogy like this.

5. Thanks for the support Mike......much appreciated.

Stogy likes this.
  6. richie rebel

richie rebel

sorry elvis can't help you out.....richie.....

Stogy likes this.
  7. richie rebel

richie rebel

sorry elvis can't help you out....richie.....

8. Thanks again Brother......good of you to keep it up on top for me!!

Cheers, Mark

Stogy likes this.
  9. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Down near Philly, never heard of them either though...

That's a cool jacket.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Thanks BOP-Nut.....and your right my friend....it's a very cool jacket.......thanks.

11. Back to the top......thanks again.

12. Back to the top for another shot.

13. One more time to the top.....cheers.

14. Last shot in the dark....lol....thanks again.

15. wsa111

wsa111

Dick Schemm, Chick Crompton, Jim Stevenson, Bob Daum. These guys had some awsome machines in the late 50's & 60's. Bob Daum had a Gasser called Running Bear. The first engine was a 301" chevy, then updated with a 306" engine. It ran Hilborn Injectors. Franny Monahann from Abington was the man with a Hilborn Fuel Injection system.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Fast Elvis likes this.
  16. Dick Fegley

Dick Fegley

I joined the Sleepers in the mid 60’s. We met at the Abington police station on Easton road in the roll call room. The club car was a Ford 32 5 window Coup. Active members at that time were Pete Bray, John Bingly, Don Gay, Lou Studley, Harry Reiter, Franny Monaghan, Pete Bebe and Jack Myers. We would race at the Hatfield track when we could muster a crew. We also used to have a slot at the Philadelphia Auto Show for a few years.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Marcia and Fast Elvis like this.
  17. Redzone

Redzone

Mark, Sleepers was formed in 1956. We got to about 40 members by the 60s
    Club was active drag racing and had several really nice customs. They ran a very large car show for a number of years in Philadelphia at the convention center named the Sleepers Showcase. Several Barris cars from California were featured including the Outlaw and the Beatnik Bandit. The club dissolved in the 70s. Several of its members have since become members of the Philadelphia Modifiers Street Rod Club which was formed in 1955 and has continued till today We will celebrate our 65th anniversary next year. The club is very active with more than 60 members. It is one of the oldest clubs in the United States and has several original members still in the club

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile appHope this helps Harry Reiter charter member of Sleepers and current member of the Modifiers

Fast Elvis likes this.
  18. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a shot in the dark. Any of you guys recognize this ‘32? I was told it raced down that way in the early to mid 60’s. I’ve been hunting it’s history since I got her looking like this in 1972. Thanks! :

19. Great info on the Sleepers C.C. Redzone....awesome to hear the club will be celebrating it's 65th anniversary in 2020..... I always wanted to hear more about this club that I'm the care taker of a small piece of their history....thanks again.

20. Thanks Dick for providing some of the history of the Sleepers...any pictures from back then??

21. DB7

DB7

Well this is long overdue. My father was Pete Bray one of the members of the Sleepers as Dick Fegley had mentioned previously. About 5 years ago this May my father passed away. My mom had sold their farm and I was tasked with cleaning up the property and getting rid of the "excess" cars. We had many between he and I, 57 years worth. He had taught me at a young age about cars and all things mechanical, I was glued to his side learning. I tried to keep all his cars but ended up having to get rid of a few. Growing up my parents hosted the 4th of July picnic, from what I remember it was the car club guys and it was amazing. I'd always love when someone would bring a hot rod or muscle car to the picnic. As dad always said, this is in your blood. So, I'll share some pics of his cars and memorabilia that I have. I would trade it all for just 1 more day with him.

Dad's 52 Ford. This was the car he would take to shows. At one point he mentioned he had an Olds J2 engine in this and eventually swapped to a small block chevy which currently is still in it. He had custom interior, 4 Speed manual trans I think, 54 dash etc...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    Fast Elvis, wheeldog57, bowie and 3 others like this.
  22. DB7

DB7

Dad's Chevy Roadster and 5 Window coupe. Both sold to a buddy who is going to build them. The roadster is getting it's original roof put back on and will race in the Gentelman's race on the beach in Wildwood NJ this summer. The 5 Window Is chopped, channeled and Z'd frame. I think he bought it like that shortly after they bought the farm. I think he paid $75 as it sits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The chevy with the roof set back on and it's current build state. It's running the patina as it is, not a show car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fast Elvis, wheeldog57, bowie and 3 others like this.
  23. DB7

DB7

Sleepers car club advertisements. While cleaning up the farm my Brother in law ran across these. We split them up between us. These are the ones I kept.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fast Elvis, Marcia and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. DB7

DB7

And now my dad's Sleepers Drag Team shirts. Mom just found these unpacking in her new house. She kept them for me as well as his Sleepers car club jacket.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chevyfordman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. DB7

DB7

Mom's 56 T-Bird. Still have this one too. Just can't let go of this stuff

[​IMG]

wheeldog57, bowie and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. Cool stories and great pictures! Cheers.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. WOW! What special memories for you and your Mom. Thanks for taking the time to share them with the rest of us. This may be a very old thread, but it's finally getting some real traction. Love these hot rod history lessons.......Don.

28. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I grew up in Pennsylvania, and I always remember the old cars that were stock looking but had an Olds engine or something else and were very fast at the lights. They were known as sleepers.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It took a while...but it looks like Elvis got his answer in a big way! But I see he hasn't answered back? Gene.

30. DB7

DB7

Hey thanks guys. Sorry it took so long to update. I was consumed with getting everything cleaned up and honestly forgot about this until Mom found the drag shirts. Perhaps the wait was worth it! dad was always all about the sleeper cars. I have some pics dad sent me before he passed of his 52 before it was painted red. That was his color. If I remember correctly, Franny told me not too long ago that since my father was color blind he could see the red. Hence his 52 was red and mom's T'bird was too. Franny is an amazing guy, I can remember from a young age that he was all about going fast. Even the way he held a conversation, I was captivated. I still speak to Franny every once in a while. Franny had wheelie trucks back in the day. Here's some pics I found online. I have several of the Johnny Lightning's that represent his Dodge that I found in the store one day. I used to hear them talking about Billy Plunkett and Frank Bash engines both of them sponsors on the Dodge I guess. Franny used to come up and several other guys to my parents farm and drag race snowmobiles. My dad made a Christmas tree from and old stop light and they would roll it out to the field and drag race the snowmobiles. We had a ton of fun on the farm, they were some crazy days.

Just links where I got the pics from
    https://www.yellowbullet.com/threads/the-wheelstander-thread.2108730/#post-57681650
    https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m16416920594/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    upload_2022-4-20_16-41-56.png
    upload_2022-4-20_16-42-22.png