Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Who make a good Project Build Log?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jawsmon, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Jawsmon

Jawsmon

I would like to document all the different parts, part numbers and source etc. that I've put into my 34 International street rod. I would like a book the is already indexed so I don't have to create something from scratch. A leather cover would be nice but not necessary. I've used a variety of parts from different manufacturers i.e. Jaguar, Chevy, Cadillac, Comp. Cams, Edelbrock, and many more. Where is a good source for a book like I've described?

2. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I just did an Excel spreadsheet with descriptions, brands, and part numbers. I just used a small 3-ring binder. But last time I was at one of the craft/fabric stores I saw a leather (or faux) folder that I thought would work. I think canvas would be neat as well.

Just Gary, jaracer and squirrel like this.
  3. Deluxe Project Planning Book – Stacey David's Gearz

Deluxe Project Planning Book
    Upgraded version with colored tabs, more detailed pages and a clear pouch for your receipts or photos! Stay more organized with the Project Planning Book.

A comprehensive guide to not only keep your project on budget but to keep up with all the receipts and part numbers so that you stay on track. It is also a great companion to help that gearhead enthusiast reach their goals.

[​IMG]

4. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just used an Excel work book. Have a tab for each vehicle system. Easy to update as you go along and change parts from your original plan. Just print it off when all done and put it in a binder.

Just Gary likes this.

5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good lord, it's hard enough to build a hot rod...let alone keep a detailed journal too:eek:
    Guess I'm more of "seat of the pants" kinda guy. Just the thought of it makes my head hurt. :mad::p

das858, hrm2k, The37Kid and 7 others like this.
  6. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

For you or for car shows? I can see it working both ways.

7. Torchie

Torchie

When I built the custom truck in my avatar. I did a "Log Book" as I went along.
    Mostly because it had so many modifications that I couldn't remember them all.
    Plus when I sold it the next owner would know what exactly I did and what parts I used. No guess work for them.
    I did an entry at the end of everyday I worked on it. Twas no big thang......
    Torchie

Hot Rod Nut and rod1 like this.
  8. Jawsmon

Jawsmon

I'm not gifted with great organizational skills. I'm looking for something where I can fill in the blanks. The one that gearz offers sounds great but it's a little on the pricey side.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  9. I figure when I start forgetting stuff I will be in trouble because my lack of documenting this sort of thing. I recently bought a car from an older friend and he sure struggled to remember what some stuff was. Kind of made me think it might be a good idea to keep a spreadsheet as has been mentioned before I forget everything...

10. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

11. I did one for my '40 last winter; after it was mostly "done" and on the road. One section for chassis, one for engine, another for transmission, wiring, torque specs. and etc.. Tried to include as many part numbers as I could; and also have a bunch of the aftermarket parts installation instructions in the back of the book. Hopefully it will be useful for a future owner's reference.

It actually came pretty easy for me after spending a bunch of years working on aircraft... just another log book entry.

lumpy 63 and Tman like this.
  12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Wow. I can honestly say I've never done a log on any build. But I can also say I could still tell anyone today what parts I used on my 11 year old build. And of course the two since then. But if I did do a log I'd simply get a small bound notebook, and just write down details for every part I used. Can't see how it's that complicated myself.

13. I can't remember what day it is.
    $35.00 is crazy. $10/15 dollars is reasonable.
    I have watched his show and it's a 30 minute commercial.

Randall, hotrodjack33 and fauj like this.
  14. junkman8888

junkman8888

I have a "build-book" for my '63 Chevy junking/scrapping/go-getting pickup because even though it's put together with "Genuine GM Parts" none of the drive train is original equipment for that make/model/year of pickup. In other words if I need a water pump/fuel pump/fan belt/carb kit/pretty-much-any-damned-thing I'd better have the part number on hand because without it all I'm going to get from the guy at the counter is a blank stare.

If you want to minimize the parts-house trauma and drama what you need to do is pick up a glove-box sized ledger-style book from the dollar store, divide the ledger into however many sections you need then write down the part number of everything used to build the vehicle.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    warbird1 likes this.
  15. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Pretty simple to make a spread sheet. I keep one with part description, part number, and purchased from. Also it would be handy for the next future owner.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3 ring binder, page savers and some of those subject divider pages with the colored tabs.

I've got one for the 48 and one for the boat tail roadster.

The one on the 48 covers more of what I did and what I used and what bought so I don't buy it twice.
    A lot of the info is for which ever of my kids takes it although I think my daughter has dibs.

The one for the roadster has receipts, bills of sale, photos of what I bought for it. Some as found photos and some construction photos. That is more for playing the "where did you get this part"? game with the WSP inspector when it gets inspected. I did that on a trailer frame I converted into a sailboat trailer a few years back and the book answered most of the questions

Just Gary, warbird1 and dirt t like this.
  17. Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    lo c dan likes this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I started one on the Lincoln in a stenographer notebook. Then I got behind updating it, then it got lost in the house and I still don’t know where it went. I don’t think the car gremlins wanted me to remember what I had in it......

leon bee, fauj and hotrodjack33 like this.
  19. speedster t

speedster t

I used Google docs, but any spread sheet type app will work, easy to use and free.

Just Gary and fauj like this.
  20. Some of us are not computer savvy.
    Brain surgery is easy I you have done it once o twice.

The37Kid likes this.
  21. AlexHunter

AlexHunter

I just wanted to write about it. You can also use Canva as an editor for the image.

22. In todays world, and access to this web site, a person could create a build thread, documenting part numbers used along with the vehicles that the parts came from, along with any modifications made.
    A great source for yourself to have access without creating an actual "build log", and in turn this site benefits by having another build thread, which seem to be taking a back seat to "opinion" threads.
    If vehicle is sold, direct new owner to this site/build thread..may end up with a new member as well.

guthriesmith likes this.
  23. This is a big part of why I do build threads here. It helps me to have record of what parts I used.

Just Gary likes this.
  24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Your build a hotrod for godsake, what’s $30+dollars for a planner? I’m doing a father son build and I bought the gears book so we can keep track of what parts are used in the build and who bought them and for how much. I would recommend it.

X38 likes this.
  25. Marcia

Marcia

I have to write down things I have to remember and I take pictures for the SCTA tech crew but I throw out old receipts. I don't want to know how much this is costing me.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    hotrodjack33, X-cpe and Just Gary like this.
  26. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I keep track of all of the parts/diagrams/helpful "stuff" as I built my old Chevy, the Studebaker as well as the shoebox Ford that is gone. I use a three ring binder and it is indexed similar to how the factory parts book is arranged. When I have a question of what part I used or??? I refer back to the binders.
    I had a guy that was interested in my Studebaker, I shot him a price, never heard back from him (I am sure it was too high), but....I wondered how much money I had in the car so I had all of the receipts so I put them in a spreadsheet, that may have been a mistake:( I guessed I had $12K to $15K in the car, it was just short of $22K and almost all of it was parts and materials costs.
    I have started the three ring binder and a spreadsheet on the Track T I am building so I can maybe stay on a better budget???

27. Use the HAMB, I have recorded my last 4 builds here and it is free. Each night I added some pics from the day's work and any parts fabbing done throughout the day. I kept my phone handy to take pics during the day and also had visitors take a pic or two of me working...a real nice build book when you are finished and driving your new "buddy"

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    Marcia, 1935streetrod and The37Kid like this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Every New Years Day I tell myself this is the year I keep track of things, think that lasted for four days some time in the 1990's.

hotrodjack33, Tow Truck Tom and X-cpe like this.
  29. I can see where this maybe useful, my fear is that when it comes time to leave it all behind my wife sells everything for what I told her I paid for it, most of what she calls junk lol. .

HJmaniac likes this.