Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you do with old stuff when...

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Dave G in Gansevoort, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Okay, last one. I thought it was pretty impressive. 0635B5F3-1BBF-4BF2-AD26-EFF7A1FACBDA.jpeg

2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Nice DLDS! If you have more pictures put them up. Good for inspiration to get me going. Humorously some of the old stuff collecting dust looks a lot like the tools in those pictures. Come warmer weather I'll get pictures of the stuff in the shed and post them. Maybe someone on here has 1 an architectural background and 2 an artistic bent, and 3 wants to exercise their creativity helping design a diorama for the stuff. Having some concept drawings could be really valuable for building interest.

Me, I can see it in my head, but can't put it on paper...

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  3. I'm pretty good at drafting...

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  4. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Time marches on, and I'm starting to think that I better do something with some of this stuff soon. Maybe I should consider moving some along to another person, who either wants to restore and make it work again. I'm keeping my options open, and not looking to get more to fill even more of the shed with.

I like old school equipment so it's difficult to part with it, but it may be time...

Oh well it's a little ways off, time will tell

5. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

No progress on developing a plan for what to do with the machines yet. But I have been using some of the stuff recently. And modifying stuff to make a lift screw device for my antique Delta radial drill press. DSCN1693.JPG DSCN1692.JPG Okay so I still have to make a real coolant system for it, the oil drain pan and a squirt bottle has worked for me since the 70's, so I'm not in a hurry.

The first picture shows how a spindle would be placed on the mandrel during honing. The second picture shows the machine setup the way I use it. Like I said, a dedicated coolant system would be nice. Picture in your mind's eye a square pan instead of the drip pan, a small gear pump, and a flexible nozzle to get the coolant to the mandrel. I'm keeping my eyes open for a stainless steel sink insert to make the basin out of. And the pump will be driven by a vbelt by the motor on the top.

The second project has been percolating in my mind since the tongue jack broke last year on my trailer. It had a 3/4 inch acme screw and nut that were not damaged, so of course it was put somewhere in the garage for future use. Today was the day.

I made a couple of parts, scavenged a handwheel from an old lathe tailstock, and fettled everything together. Still more fettling required, but it will lift the table with the x-y positioning table I've had for years with ease.

So while I still have to figure out what hopefully will be the outcome of the stuff, right now I'm still using the ones currently in operating condition.

Okie Pete and RMR&C like this.
  6. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Well I figured out something to do with one of the old machines that I've collected from various sources. I was given a Delta radial drill press a few years back in exchange for a Montgomery Wards Sea King outboard motor I had been given to keep the motor out of the scrap yard. Yeah it's a sickness!

Anyway, I've had a Sears Craftsman x-y positioning table for a lot of years, and it either was in the way, or on a shelf collecting dust. I decided that it was time to make a precision positioning drill press out of the 2! With the acme screw from a horror fright trailer jack that broke and a little bit of time and effort, here's what I ended up with. DSCN1712.JPG DSCN1711.JPG DSCN1710.JPG DSCN1709.JPG Now if I want to drill a series of holes precisely positioned in a bracket I can. No it's not a substitute for a tiny milling machine, not rigid enough. But it works for what I'm going to do with it.

Now when the time comes for it to find a new home it'll be in one piece instead of two. Sorry ratrodder, at least there's an engine hoist to move the heavy stuff.

hotrodjack33 and Okie Pete like this.
  7. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Oh, there are a couple of steps left to do, bolt it to the table, align it to the column, grease the screw, but that's for another day...

hotrodjack33 and Okie Pete like this.
  8. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

So it's done, good enough for now. I'm going to make a new stand for the drill press that will be more open under it, and won't add, or take away more appropriately, from the travel of the lift screw device. I have to get some 1/4×2×2 angle iron and a small piece of 1/4-inch plate.
    DSCN1716.JPG It's bolted down and eyeball aligned for now. When I need it to be more accurate, I'll get out a dial indicator and do it. Now on to the Van Norman boring bar...

9. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

So I ran across this relevant write-up in the recent (Sept/Oct '23) issue of Antique Automobile, the magazine of the AACA (yes, I like hot rods AND classics! :)):

"Timing is everything. Time waits for no one. No time like the present. There are a lot of idioms about timing, but when is the right time for us to make decisions about the disposition of our beloved cars, collectibles, and literature? Lately, I have been contemplating my personal "timing" and thinking that I should listen to the advice I've given to others.

First, I strongly believe that our hobby invigorates many members and keeps their minds and bodies sharp. I have a 91-year-old friend who is restoring two cars as I write this and he is as sharp as anyone. His age is truly just a number. He believes working on his cars keeps him mentally strong. On the other side of the coin, another friend died shortly after disposing of his lifelong collection of memorabilia. I have always felt that seeing these items leave his home hastened his demise. Most of us have a huge connection to our collectibles and cars as they illuminate and illustrate our journey in the hobby and provide use with a lifetime of memories.

I will always remember my father offering gifts to me while he was alive, and my response in pushing back against accepting the gesture. He informed me that he wanted to see me enjoy the present while he was alive ... to watch the good his gift did....
    "

The article (written by Steven Moskowitz, current CEO of the AACA) goes on about donating material to the AACA Library, but regardless of the destination of your stuff, I think it's worthwhile to spend a little time now thinking about where you might like it to go. Children and/or grandchildren or other relatives, a nice neighbor, a relevant museum or non-profit, or wherever. And remember, it can be a surprise that you deliver while you're still able to, something your heirs are tasked with, etc. Regardless, while "you won't care because you'll be dead" is a perfectly understandable answer, if you've put so much of your life into something that you enjoy, I encourage you to find someone else who shares that joy and will appreciate your stuff.

Okay, I'll get down from my soapbox now. :)

10. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Next time you come this way, bring me a few back issues to peruse. Sounds interesting.

11. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

12. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

So I'm still accumulating stuff, just ask ratrodder. There's an Atlas lathe and boxes of stuff in his shed waiting for an excursion from eastern Massachusetts to upstate New York. And I haven't mentioned some other stuff that came my way at least 2 years ago.

A Van Norman boring bar and small engine stand, 2 Black and Decker valve seat grinding kits, both motors work and lots of tooling, including the stone truing fixture. Then there's the Neway seat cutting machine, with many single and dual sided cutters and mandrels. 2 valve grinders, a Black and Decker valve grinder and a Snap On valve grinder. These both have good wheels still, and only need good cleanings to be operational. A valve spring rate tester, a little dirty but I checked it against a standard and it seems to be accurate.

So throw all of that stuff together in the garage and shed, with all of the other flotsam and jetsam, and it makes getting stuff done a little difficult. Oh well what can I say, I still can't let stuff like that go to the landfill...

13. Thanks for posting......
    I'm in this mindset right now. Over the years I've accumulated sooo much crap that I thought is cool and make good "decorators/collectables" and at my age (75) I realize that the thrill of the hunt and the enjoyment of "gazing upon my hoard" is now being replaced with the reality of what to do with it all now. Our daughter is slowly getting the stuff that is family related, or that she has an interest in (although that amount is somewhat limited). I don't want to turn my back on this mountain of crap... uh...stuff....er ...treasure, and let my wife and daughter worry about it at some point.
    By happy coincidence, I've recently reconnected with the son of some long-ago neighbors. As he was growing up, he was kind of surrogate son, great kid, good student, yada, yada. He is at the point in his life that his two boys are in high school and college, and he is regaining control of his garage and his own hobbies. As I've been contemplating my thinning of the herd for quite some time, my reconnection with him offers me the perfect opportunity to clear some space, give him a jump-start on his garage decor and equipment, while also knowing that the stuff is going to a good home. It's a real win-win!!!
    Interestingly, as grateful as he is to be receiving these 'treasures', I'm probably more grateful knowing how much he and his sons will now enjoy them. A perfect solution for me! I don't view it as winding down, I see it as an opportunity to share, and hopefully bring some joy to someone else.

14. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Great solution!

'28phonebooth likes this.
  15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve collected to much too long. If I was an eBay seller some probably be gone. The trash barrel has become my friend but cast iron isn’t the place for it. There is a local Performance Swap meet near me once month that I need to start loading and selling (actually almost giving away). I’m not a hoarder for profit guy for the most part but 10 GMC 6 cylinder heads are just too many and are heavy to boot. (No I don’t ship) Much of what I have came because guys just didn’t want it or the price was too good to pass up. Need to get off my a** and do something.

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

To start off, I am lucky to still be around, since I am the oldest thing in our house. Usually, the oldest thing gathering dust is tossed out with the weekly trash and yard clippings. Recyclable? Perhaps, but in this day and age, not so much as being a 20 something. Ha! Being close to 80 and being with my wife since 1966 as 20 somethings was a long and loving road to this day. Our experiences are loaded with much history and that was how we saw the world. But, back in our own minds, old goes first.

As much fun as being in @Ron Funkhouser ’s house/garage/yard would be for playing with those fun things, my wife would have a field day if our house had ¼ of the cool stuff. Our toddler son, back then would have had a wonderful time in that yard. It would have been one of those times that it was hard to get him away from those cool toys and yard items.

Even our inquisitive granddaughter would have liked the “stuff.” But, for her, cars were to play with in our toy box collections, on the various beach sandy roads leading to a castle, and a traffic jam was always on the menu for interacting with little figures on a play mat. (Or on a large tile floor.) She was happy with that scenario she created for herself… and us.

We were collectors/daily users of old antique furniture from the 30s. It seemed to be a time when the oak oils were a mesmerizing aroma floating around the shops we used to visit. We were 20 somethings and thought the furniture, refinished was a good fit for our apartment and first house. The oak preservative oils used to keep the new/old pristine oak furniture was a drawing card for us. Open the door of an old antique furniture store and we knew right where to head over to see the oak furniture.

At the time, “old” stayed with us and had first preference to a long stay in our house(s). These days, we only have one old wooden dresser from the 20s that our mom grew up with and made the journeys all over the landscape, when she was growing up in Santa Monica, San Pedro, Terminal Island and the Westside of Long Beach.

It was the same for our cars from a lowered rake 51 Oldsmobile sedan to a 671 Willys Coupe to a 327 powered 40 Ford Sedan Delivery. Out goes the old and in steps a new vehicle to make our lives easier and more enjoyable. “No worries” seems to be a key for describing our lives all this time from our teen years.

Jnaki

We have changed as we all should have, as we adapt to the changing world. So, our lifestyle is still low key, and we have not strayed far from the blue Pacific Ocean over the years. But the old stuff has taken a road beyond our property lines and are gone from our simple designs and daily living surroundings. We used to cleanout our garage when our neighborhood had its annual community garage sale. It was one good way to meet our neighbors and get rid of stuff we no longer used and were taking up space.

But, some of the big stuff was given away to friends who still had a need for larger tools, big saws, drills and noisy compressors. Since the person who came to get the stuff was still into mechanics of sorts, we also gave him the old Craftsman Tool set that we had not used in years. That was a portion of a lot of good memories, but they took up a nice drawer and now, the drawer is used for daily stuff that both my wife and I use.
    upload_2023-10-21_3-56-21.png
    Note:
    When we lived in a small apartment, our motto was, we only have what can fit into a nice Red El Camino bed when we need to move on to the next place. It has worked out well despite the need to buy more stuff. But, over time, it has gotten to the point of possibly two El Camino's worth of space. Who knows, our son and granddaughter may think it is all junk. It may disappear with the following weeks trash pickup day... yikes!

Out goes the old and the new takes over for comfort/reliability to make our live simple and enjoyable. YRMV

17. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

You know, I haven't been thinking about the household stuff. Thanks for the heads up post. Like you said, we've been married 43+ years, and over the years have collected some furnishings, both old and new. My desk was my father's which my grandfather made for him. My grandfather was a carpenter/cabinet maker/craftsman from the old world. We had a house full growing up of his reproduction Hepplewhite, Duncan Phyffe (don't quote me on the spelling) and the like furniture. It made it extremely difficult to go into furniture stores when we were first married to purchase furniture. In fact, SWMBO and I didn't buy much at all until the early 2000s when we could afford much better furniture. And by then we had collected and refinished and restored a lot of the furnishings we still have.

Poor ratrodder, he's going to probably end up dealing with that stuff too...

jnaki likes this.
  18. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Don't worry about me! Thank goodness I like the stuff :). Choosing between the desks will be difficult, though...

Dave G in Gansevoort likes this.
  19. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Not really. Maggie's desk needs door jambs removed, stand it on end and barely wiggle it thru the doorway. Not easy!

My desk is in the basement. It fits thru the egress window just takes a little bit of lifting. And you've got a couple of BIG friends!

20. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Well, more old stuff to add to the equation. An Atlas bench lathe showed up last week.Zek sold it to me, and ratrodder hauled it here from eastern Massachusetts. Then spent all day Saturday making a stand for it with me. The picture tells the story.
    20231103_184245.jpg And we even cleaned off the welding bench!

down-the-road likes this.
  21. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

And slowly but surely the lathe stand is progressing. It needs a top to bolt everything down to. The lathe and its drive assembly. I was thinking butcher's block counter top for the top. A couple of weeks back I was at my favorite hardware store, Allerdice Ace Hardware, and was picking up the usual bits and bobs for this and that projects, and asked one of the not so young anymore guys that has worked there since high school. That was 19-20 years ago...

Back to the question: I asked him about butcher's block counter top, and if they had it or could get some. As they have everything under the sun in the store and can get the few things that they don't have, he said yes, and looked up the cost for a section big enough to make the top. Wow! Was what we both said.

I could see he had a thought about something else that might work. He suggested a section of glue lam. And coincidentally he had a section slightly bigger than my requirements. He says "I'll be right back". Off he goes, in the rain, to one of the far buildings, and comes back with a section of glue lam. Good thickness at 1.75 inches, 18 inches wide, and 56 inches long. More than big enough.

I asked him what I owed them for it. Take it, he says, it was a miscut.

And that's why I go there first, last and every time, skipping the 2 big box stores closer to me. And jokingly, the last time I was in they said they were hiring, did I want a job? At least I think they were joking...

hotrodjack33 and '28phonebooth like this.
  22. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

The next stage of the saga. I rounded off the edges, scraped the waxy stuff put on the glue lam to protect it from weathering, and toasted it with a propane weed burner torch thingie fro harbor freight. DSCN1887.JPG Tomorrow I'll fasten it to the legs, but first there's a weight pan to fabricate between the two legs, and a bag of concrete to fill the pan. And paint. I hate painting stuff so it won't be pretty.

So I'm making progress, if sloooooowly...

A Boner and ratrodrodder like this.
  23. spanners

spanners

That's my style of construction. I'm gunna steal the idea for the benchtop.

24. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Oh, and I didn't mention it, however there is a finish of sorts besides the toasting. I rubbed in a generous amount of mineral oil, like you'd use on a kitchen cutting board. Yes it will stain over time but seals it up adequately for now.

25. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Progress on the machine stand:
    DSCN1893.JPG Here's the pan for ballast. The ballast is in the red bags. No mix concrete, used forsetting posts normally. A bit of paint in the bottom tomorrow, and then the concrete gets set. The top is fastened to the stand, lagged solid.

Then, the lathe finally gets lagged down, and I can make some scrap, er that is, some parts...

ratrodrodder and '28phonebooth like this.
  26. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Don't forget to take the concrete out of the bags, that's an important step in the process! :p

27. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

But I'm going for the look...

28. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Made progress today. Got the lathe on the stand, and the drive too.
    DSCN1896.JPG
    DSCN1897.JPG
    DSCN1898.JPG Steps ahead:
    Concrete baseweight
    Drive belts, Linkbelt from Harbor Freight
    Paint the steel parts
    Rewire the motor
    Get the lead screw drive back together
    Organize all of the bits and bobs that go with the lathe
    Find a little bit of room for it

Still haven't gotten to the size of the bore. Don't know if it is 1 inch or larger. I'm hopeful because I could use it for boring and tapping the tubing I have for radius rods, tie rods and drag links. Otherwise I have to continue using the drill press and the tedium of the set-up to get everything squared up.

ratrodrodder likes this.
  29. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Hey, that almost looks ready to go! :)

30. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Closing in on it. But yer old uncle is getting kind of absent minded lately. Well, no worse than ever.

Had the heat on Saturday while fettling the setup. Went out to go to CVS for a few items yesterday afternoon, and the garage felt like summer. It was 85 degrees, give or take a few degrees. Shut it off. That was around 3 pm. Threw some recycling stuff in the bin around 9 pm, the temperature was still 65 or more.

Haven't been out there yet today. Have to check how warm it is then before opening the door.