Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cleaning off old Dirt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Charles Voelker, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Charles Voelker

Charles Voelker

Just wondering if there is any way to clean off old dirt or grease from the bottom of my 1950 ford. Do I just need to use wire brush or is there any product I can use. Is it worth power washing underneath?

2. squirrel

squirrel

A steam cleaner works pretty well....a normal power washer probably won't get the hard dried oil/grease off.

3. Hot water / steam pressure washer . I have one at work and it will cut grease / grime / whatever without using any chemicals or solvents .

spray some degreaser and let it sit first and your golden .

Scrape and poke the loose crap off then soak it in your chemical of choice the pressure wash , scrape soak repeat .

wire brush , grinder with a wire cup , different scrapers etc all help . Depending on if the frame floors have been rust checked etc can only add to your misery .

if your doing this on the floor lying on your back cover up as best you can . It can be messy .

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Floor Jack, a pocket full of of quarters and a late evening trip to the high pressure stall at the quarter car wash will get a lot of it if it runs and drives.
    Just take a can of WD40 and a roll of paper towels to dry out the distributor and ignition if you have to.

Hillbilly Werewolf likes this.

5. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

OP you may want to re-consider removing that dirt unless your throwing a mirror under there. That old dirt was what kept most of my chassis and bolts under there rust free. It pisses me off when I get under there to do something and it flakes into my eyes but it is serving a purpose. It’s like a layer of protection under there.

firstinsteele likes this.
  6. Find a truck repair shop in your area that does steam cleaning. It may cost a few bucks, but will be cheaper than umteen cans of oven cleaner/engine degreaser, and coin operated car wash.

41 GMC K-18 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. SS327

SS327

Oh my God! Don’t wash it you will destroy the value of the car! Do you know what some idiots I mean er em guys will pay for that dirt?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. A heat gun and wire brush will get the baked on grease/dirt off, just heat it up until you see the grease bubbling out, then hit it with the brush.