Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1965 Ford F-100 project - on again

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 18, 2022.

1. I have been thinking about pulling SPOT (my '65 Ford truck) out of the barn because I have been gifted a strong running small block Ford engine from a very good friend.

I have been trying to decide what to do with the engine, I recently saw a '54 Ford coupe project and the wheels started turning and then I realized I have the perfect project that has been in my possession since 1972, my 1965 Ford truck.

This got the wheels turning and I have been day dreaming and thinking about the running gear which brings up the transmission which was originally from a passenger car, probably a Fairlane or Mustang, and the last time I drove the truck the shiftier was jumping out of gear, it's a old Hurst shiftier but I believe the problem is internal and the transmission will probably need rebuilding.

Any pointers on rebuilding the transmission would be appreciated.

The truck also has the original 4: 11 gears in the rear and that wore out the last engine so I plan to up date the rear gears, I could swap out the rear axle but I want to keep the original 5" x 5.5" bolt pattern.

I plan on changing out the pumpkin but I have no idea what gear I should use, suggestions would be welcome.

I will need to do some rust repair and since I removed all the trim when I wrecked the truck years ago, as of now I plan on painting it Kirker S,G. Black like my Deuce pickup and hope to find some old 5 spoke mags.

This is not going to be a overnight project, I still haven't picked up the engine but I should have it sometime next month. HRP

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  2. This photo was taken back in 1980.

[​IMG]

This is how the truck looks now sitting in the barn, been there for more years than I can remember, I parked it when it started knocking. HRP

[​IMG]

3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I like a 3.50 or 3.73 gear for street driver duty’s… if you need something for the highway 3.00 or 3.25.

4. As far as rear gears, if you can find a good 70's f100 3rd member it most likely will have 3.25 or 3.50 gears in it. thats what most had. easy quick way to swap it.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Joe Travers like this.

5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I have a few sets of 3.50s if you need some. I haven't gotten far enough on my 64 to know what gears are in it, but got lucky on finding the Crestline 5-spokes in the original pattern, and 15 miles away

6. I'd tend towards the 3.5 or 3.25 ratios as a compromise between town and highway driving. Unless you're planning on actual 'truck duty', then the 3.7 starts looking better. You may even want to keep the 4.11s.

The carbureted 302 (Ford never offered the 289 in trucks in the US) wasn't a popular option in the trucks as its torque delivery wasn't really up to snuff. Ford didn't even offer it in trucks in the US until '69 and I can count on my fingers on one hand how many I've seen. Most buyers stuck with the 300 six as it had better low-end grunt. It wasn't until EFI showed up that you saw the 302 in any numbers.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. When I got the truck it had a inline six, I swapped it out for a 390 but it was tired when I installed it, then I found a 352 out of a wrecked 66 but that 4:11 gear wore it out running up and sown the highway.

I am building the truck for pleasure and not any heavy duty hauling but hopefully it will be a driver and let the Hemi truck sit more than it does.

This certainly is not going to be a restoration so the engine makes no difference. HRP

3W JOHN and wicarnut like this.
  8. T-170 and keep the 4.11 :)

9. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

It seems a lot of guys default to the 302 on these era trucks. They rugged and easy to get stuff for. Back in the day, we had a mid 70s shop truck with a 302, automatic and 3.50 gears. It was pretty responsive around town, and made a good pick-up and delivery truck.
    Now you did not say if your trans was a manual or automatic. But since you said it would pop out of gear, I'd assume manual. Since it needs work, there is the option of replacing it with a 5 speed with an overdrive 5th. That would cure your rear gear dilemma.
    There's a couple of us here on the HAMB with "slick" era Ford truck projects going. Myself, "WhiteWallWill," and ccain. CCain's is a slightly earlier model "Fridge." But very VERY cool!

10. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

And me- mine is a 64 shortbed stepside

11. Budget36

Budget36

I thought your grandson or nephew was going to take it over, or was that a different pickup?

The OD option seems the least painless route (in my mind) put the $$ into a different transmission and leave the rear end alone.

clem, 3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and 2 others like this.
  12. You are correct, a couple of years ago my grandson ask about the truck, he is in Florida now and he needed a driver so we put him in a nice daily driver ,perfect for a young guy that loves hunting and fishing, he is also handy with a camera.

He will still get the truck when I am no longer around. :cool: HRP

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  13. If you have to rebuild the manual transmission anyways, why not look for T5 or the overdrive transmission from F150's in the early 80's? Wouldn't have to worry about the 4.11's out back.

14. Boatmark

Boatmark

I will add a vote to leaving the 4.11’s and swapping the trans for a modern 5sp. I had a similar small block / 5sp / 4.11 combo in an OT short bed truck, and it was a fun daily driver.

A little work on the stance, 5speed, cast finished Americans, satin black paint . . . That would be my plan.

Cool truck with history. . . . Build it!

15. I say OD stick or OD automatic sounds like the way to go.

@WhitewallWill
    @ccain

Welcome aboard.

16. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Had factory 3.50 posi in my old '65 flareside w/ 352. Pulled hard on the bottom end.
    If the small block is really hot, I'd stay away from T-5 in a truck. JMO

Joe

17. Phil, I might consider a automatic.

Joe, I already have a T-5 in the Ranch Wagon and that's enough.

I have always liked the 4 speed in the truck and if it remains straight drive I will retain the 4 speed transmission. HRP

WhitewallWill and 3W JOHN like this.
  18. The engine has flywheel and clutch on it. May as well stick with a 4 speed.

19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd look into a non electronic AOD. Use a Lokar TV cable with a 4 barrel Holley and its basically a bolt in deal.

20. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Checked the torque rating for the old 352 Interceptor. A really hot small block will make the same torque but 2K rpm higher. 3.50 w/ a 4 speed sounds like fun if you don't mind hummin' down the road. Doesn't bother me too much.

Joe

21. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

If the truck is manual then I like the five speed also but thats me. I think you will have more flexibility and the 302 is a natural for it.

22. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my '66 f-100 with 352 and automatic needed a fillup about every 100 miles!

23. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

If keeping the factory transmission I think 3:55 gears would get you where you want to be. But you are not going to find that ratio in a junkyard 3rd member. Are you able to setup gears yourself, or have a friend that does it? Paying a shop to do a ring and pinion change can be very pricey.

24. This morning our club met up for breakfast and in conversation I mentioned I was making plans to pull my old '65 Ford truck out of the barn and have started picking up a few pieces that I will need.

Gary, the club's oldest active member mentioned he had bought a newer overdrive transmission for his Comet and since he already has the engine out, now would be the ideal time to replace the 4 speed transmission.

I've ridden in the Comet several times in the past and I know the transmission is in great shape so I ask him if he wanted to sell it, he said yes, so now I have a transmission that all I have to do is install and as a bonus he had a brand new clutch, pressure plate & throw out bearing.

I'm starting to get excited about this project. HRP

catdad49, brEad, Grandadeo and 7 others like this.
  25. Rand Man

Rand Man

I like those trucks.

26. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I have an F100 that's a little bit newer, 1970, but it's got factory 3.50 gears in it behind a 360FE with a granny 4 speed. With a 31" tall tire it runs at 2500 rpm on the highway, but sometimes I have to use granny low to pull away from a stop if it's uphill and I have a load. For my use, I'd prefer to have a 4.11 gear in it but I try not to spend money on that one.

Devin

27. Subscribed.

Can't wait to see you dig that baby out and get 'er into the sunlight. :cool::cool::cool:

Gonna be a nice little hauler.

28. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I was just thinking about a OT Ford explorer I use to have while reading this thread.
    It had the 4:10 gears, OD automatic ... V6 with maybe 250-275 hp? Not much.
    Was a real kick in the pants to drive, quick off the line, cruised freeway speeds fine.

I have A truck OT with sbc, 5spd manual, 3:08 gears It is fun to drive.
    Just seems the older I get, the wife car with the automatic trans gets the most DD use.

I love 3 pedals, my 49 Dodge will always have 3 pedals ... some days I just do not feel like using both feet.

I love the fact that HRP has already located a nice 4spd, I wonder why the owner is swapping it out for a OD automatic ... just things that make you go Hrm. :rolleyes:

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and AHotRod like this.
  29. Gary just turned 87 and said he was just didn't enjoy rowing gears like he use too. HRP

3W JOHN, SS327 and Algoma56 like this.
  30. As is often the case I woke up this morning thinking about my current project and I was thinking about the rear axle, as I said earlier the truck was born with a 4:11 gear and it occurred to me that my old friend, Randy Nash (Deuce Roadster) had suggested I change the gear in my Deuce pickup and he had a pumpkin from a 9" Bronco.

I never got around to changing it and this morning I went out in my old shop and sitting in the corner atop a 5 gallon bucket there it sat, I don't recall our exact conversation of more than 10 years ago so I have no idea exactly what gear it is bu I do recall Randy said it would be a good gear for the highway.

I do need a refresher course on how to figure out what gear I have. HRP

catdad49 and 3W JOHN like this.