Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 394 Oldsmobile identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hispanicviking, Feb 26, 2016.

1. hispanicviking

hispanicviking

Hey you guys, I have a 62 Olds 394 that I'm gonna put in my 56 olds 4 door sedan . I got the motor and trans from a buddy of mine . The trans is a th350 that has been made to fit a early olds engine. That's a plus ! But what I'm trying to figure out is if this motor is a high compression 394 or a low compression 394 ? I know the motor has been gone threw at one point it does have a 4 barrel intake on it and someone painted it red to look like a high compression, but the research I did is coming up nowhere. I posted pics of the casting numbers on the left side head center exhaust port and the numbers on the back of the motor as well . Any help to identify what this is would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  2. chriseakin

chriseakin

"Found this on the classicoldsmobile forum - somebody asking the same question
    Assuming it's the original engine, a SkyRocket is the 330 horsepower high compression version of 394. There should be a curved "Ultra High Compression" decal on the front of aircleaner housing; looks like yours is AWOL.

It could have optionally been equipped with the 345 horsepower Starfire engine. Those engines when factory installed will always have dual exhaust.

You can also look on the left head, just below the valve cover and above the center exhaust ports. The engine ID number is there. An H prefix indicates a 2-barrel engine. A J indicates 4-barrel.

No suffix indicates standard 10.25 CR. An L indicates an 8.75 CR engine. An S is 10.5 CR Starfire engine.

As an example J001001 would mean a 10.25 CR SkyRocket 4-barrel engine. H001001 is a 10.25 2-barrel Rocket engine. H001001L is a low compression 2-barrel. Those were green and usually found only in Dynamic 88s. J001001S is a Starfire engine."

3. squirrel

squirrel

F should be a 1961 8.5:1 compression 394 with a 2bbl.

or a 1962 10.25:1 compression 2bbl 394.

but you never know with engines that have been worked on

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I'm sure Tony will have better info but, I think the only difference aside from the 4 barrel intake would be the steel shim head gasket and high lift cam on the higher performance engine and composite head gaskets and milder cam on the lower performance engines

Dago 88 likes this.

5. I agree with Mr. Squirrel: you cannot determine what an engine is, unless you know who built it and why. It *may* have been a factory low-comp, but is now a high-comp.

It's kinda like trying to determine factory tire psi by looking at wear patterns.

Cosmo

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

For what it's worth, the F prefix on the stamped number was used on the '61 250 horse and '62 280 horse engines, the lower horse engines for those years.

7. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

As has been stated. Once the engine has been to a machine shop all bets on being stock are off. Without documentation of what's been done the only way to be sure is to take it apart and have a look see. Joe

Sent from my DL1168A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

...or take it for a drive, and see if it pings

Deuces and razoo lew like this.
  9. hispanicviking

hispanicviking

Thanks you guys ! You all have been a great help ! I still have a ways away from driving my 56 I'm gonna start a build thread on it real soon . Thanks again !!!

Deuces likes this.
  10. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys,

I was digging around and looking for info and this thread came up. I have found an Olds 394 for sale locally. Here is a quote from the seller: Have an all original rare 394 Oldsmobile motor with hydro trans from a high compression G code 1962 Olds with 10 to 1 compression and 330 HP. Original red paint complete with carb, intake, distributor, fuel lines and glass filter, finned valve covers, fan blade, water pump, all pulleys.

I have looked at the pictures the seller sent and the motor does have a 4 barrel, and under all of the grease and grime it was originally painted red. The number stamped on the machined pad on the head is G324665. From the research I've done if this is correct it should be have 10.25:1 compression ratio and was rated for 330HP. The engine comes with the hydramatic still bolted to it and the guy is asking $800.

Is it what the seller says it is? What can I look for to more positively identify it? Is the price good for the engine and trans? I have zero experience with Olds motors and know I need to do some learnin'.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thor

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

upload_2017-4-12_16-49-47.png Here are the Olds engine and casting number series. The engine number should assist to identify it.
    upload_2017-4-12_16-41-20.png

Deuces likes this.
  12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's a bit more casting information.
    upload_2017-4-12_16-59-57.png
    upload_2017-4-12_17-1-16.png
    upload_2017-4-12_17-2-27.png

Deuces likes this.
  13. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

If it is original, the hydramatic is the Roto 10 or slimjim, which is a PITA. There is a possibility that the transmission is a DC hydramatic or the old dual range single coupling type.

14. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks mgtstumpy. This is excellent information.

Based on the casting number I was given on the left exhaust manifold and the serial number on the machined pad, it looks like this is indeed a '62 394. The paint color (red), the four barrel carburetor, and the G code at the front of the serial number also point to the 330HP higher compression engine.

d2_willys, what can I look for to determine which transmission it is? Are there any casting numbers or physical cues I can look for?

mgtstumpy likes this.
  15. Yea but if it has a decal on the air cleaner that is the determining factor.:rolleyes:

I am really a little leery about numbers stamped on a head as well, my 394 is a '62 block and has '59 heads. My compression is up in the 13:1 range or so I have been told. I got to CC my heads and go from there.

The real question becomes if it will run on pump gas, if that is the case then one other question comes to mind, if it makes you pee when you mash the loud peddle. Now if it does the first one you are good, and if it does both then there is only one thing to remember. Depends.

Deuces, oldsjoe and Thor1 like this.
  16. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

the Roto 10 or slim jim has an all aluminum case. The DC hydramatic has a cast iron case, but aluminum tail housing and bell housing. The earlier dual range hydramatic is all cast iron.

17. Yea the early transmission is a big heavy pig. Air cooled. Well I don't know if they were all air cooled. That is more of a @d2_willys question, all of them that I have met were air cooled.

18. senginc

senginc
    from B'ham, AL

Please keep this post alive !

19. Super 884dr

Super 884dr

I second this. Just because a guy was done with his project years ago doesn't mean someone else isn't just now starting on theirs. As time goes on the old guys who figured out all of this stuff to begin with are on to other things or places, and who's left really should want to help each other learn all we can to keep this old iron old school. I would rather cut my arms off than do a LS swap a 50's car, so pages like this are very appreciated.

RATTLEHEAD likes this.
  20. X3, great information in this thread.
    I've got a 60 394 just waiting for me to get around to using. Came from running and driving 60 Super 88 flat top I parted out, so I know it's good condition. Looking back that flat top was one that should have been saved, but at least all the parts went to 2 dr projects.

Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Ive got a complete 62 four dr htp in the hoard. it has a 2 bbl 394 rocket engine. Owned it for over a decade and never sold a single part from it. Pictures 106.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Tbucketg

Tbucketg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Just picked this up a month ago. Reviving this thread. 62 88 coupe. 394.gif

Deuces, Paul and Thor1 like this.
  24. Joe Tx

Joe Tx

Bump!!! Cleaning up a forgotten corner of my shop. Found these I picked up a few years ago and think I also have a '56 rear end that came with them. Thinking of doing something with them. Probably need some help later on. Thanks, Joe.
    20220416_140321.jpg 20220416_140321.jpg 20220416_140216.jpg 20220416_140134.jpg 20220416_140027.jpg

mgtstumpy, elgringo71 and Thor1 like this.
  25. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Can't quite make out the water pump, is it iron or aluminum?
    And is there a starter on it, if so is the selenoid on top or bottom?

26. Joe Tx

Joe Tx

I'll check tomorrow when I go to the shop. Thanks, Joe.

27. TCTND

TCTND

Well, the "23" heads are considered good. Let me know if you are interested in a Weiand dual quad manifold with a pair of AFBs

28. Joe Tx

Joe Tx

Thanks, but I have an old 3x2 with some incorrect 2 GC's that I would like to run.

Paul likes this.
  29. Paul

Paul
    Editor

The 23 heads were the last version of early Olds heads, '63-'64, they had a redesigned chamber that was supposed to handle the higher compression with less detonation.
    Iron water pump would make the block '59-'62 and aluminum would make it '63-'64 like the heads.
    I see added capacity to the pan,
    And the crankshaft fitted with pilot to work with the early transmission, (flywheel should be balanced for external)
    Starter switch over to gain clearance for steering,
    Home made shifter.
    Cool stuff

Joe Tx likes this.
  30. Joe Tx

Joe Tx

Picked up this motor/transmission and a '56 Olds rear end a few years ago. Supposedly was in a running '46 Ford coupe this guy in Houston inherited. So the first thing he did was pull the motor/trans and was going to run a SBC/auto.

Paul likes this.