Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1937 ford 3 window coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Woodiebill, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Woodiebill

Woodiebill

Has anyone ever seen a 37 3 window? Considering buying one the guy claims 11 know to exist.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I remember back in the pro street, billet days a 3 window came out in glass, I believe it was Gibbons.

Just Gary and Stogy like this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was "Minotti"; Goggle "Minotti coupe" and you'll see them. You'll get the same answer here as on the "Ford Barn".

Atwater Mike, Just Gary and Stogy like this.
  4. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Henry never made a 3 window 37

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it is April...:p

Is it advertised as steel or fiberglass?

People really shouldn't BS these type of things...if it was me selling it and I was boasting only 11 exist when it's truly baseless I'd be expecting to be confronted left right and center...

Could it be 11 steel customized 3 Window Coupes...I'm snooping...;)

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/ford-3-window-coupe-question.1117419/#post-12683914

:rolleyes:...Here's a Thread on this Subject...and the consensus is no...but there are glass and many steel conversions that have been done over the years since they came off the line...no surprise since the 35 and 6s share a similar body style and wear it well...there have even been 3w offshoots of 38/9 and even 40 Coupes over the years....

They did a nice job on it, it seems...

You will have a new perspective on 37 3w after this Threads done...

Again this is a Hotrod/Custom site and it's certainly a doable and done mod if Hamb Friendly because the Hamb while open to discussion on OEM production is truly about the open field outside OEM...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    brady1929 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bring a magnet...

Woodie, welcome to the Hamb...;)

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm, there's more than 11 of those...

brady1929 likes this.
  8. goldmountain

goldmountain

That body has a nicer shape than the Minotti one.

rdscotty and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd like to know if it is Glass...Rusty mentioned Gibbons...

At the end of the day there was probably a non OEM Steel Specimen for each brand of the molds...

brady1929 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. ...Don't believe everything a prospective seller tells you.

11. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

I knew Downs made a fiberglass 37 3 window & Minoti's I knew of a 37 steel 5 window cut down & made into a 3 window Was a nice car but didn't think they came from the factory I think there were 11 or 12 true 37 steel roadsters from the factory Maybe the confusion

Stogy likes this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I doubt the seller is confused...I really tend to research my rides...but I suppose there is a chance they are naive to the History and its just a toy with the story they were told...

https://www.gaaclassiccars.com/vehicles/23408/1937-ford-coupe

:rolleyes:...found an old auction listing...it mentions all Ford no glass...

https://classiccars.com/listings/vi...3-window-coupe-for-sale-in-mesa-arizona-85207

:rolleyes:...the ad with the Folklore...

Bullshit aside it's a Steel Hotrod Hamb Friendly with OT details but worth whatever one wants to pay for it...lots of Rods in this pricing area and everywhere up and down from there...

Thor1, Hamtown Al and brady1929 like this.
  13. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

Stogy I think you are probably right about that

Stogy likes this.
  14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Probably glass. Lots of folks made them, most of them chopped. Or... could it have a 37 front end on a 36 body, or something blended like that?

Stogy likes this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Ad says no but if it is Glass how low can one go...Dealers/Auctions can't go that far can they? You can say its possibly Henry OEM if its steel but Glass...thats false advertising twice if it is glass and it's said to be steel...

brady1929 likes this.
  16. alchemy

alchemy

The seller is a snake oil salesman if he lists it as real. No way Henry made that, and if he really thinks it is I dare him to show pics of the inside steel. But, even if I'm wrong and there was a very short production run at the factory, we will be able to tell the old coachbuilt methods from the new MIG welds it was probably put together with.

Thor1, brady1929, X38 and 2 others like this.
  17. If still considering buying it..buy it because it appeals to you, not that the BS it is 1 of 11.
    Have the seller prove us wrong.

Thor1, Stogy and anothercarguy like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1st posts are never easy it seems...:oops:

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did some more snooping and dug up this Thread through an internet search and while it is painted as an offshore model produced in Canada...:eek:...it seems to be a slice and dice probably painted as rare as rare can be but it's good to collect all applicable avenues for discussion...

373wa.JPG

373wb.JPG
    https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com/car_spotters_guide_europe_1937.htm

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ord-3-window-built-for-non-us-markets.542911/

:rolleyes:...Dealers aren't the only chain jerkers...again there are plenty of metalsmiths that can craft a what if just as our many gifted Artists but when it's put across as Gospel it's a slippery slope...

Several debunked it as a one off private build patched together...quite admirably at that...

I'll mention the Model A 3w Coupe here as it never saw commercial production but was a Prototype in an Official Ford Publication I understand from several angles...

This 37 above has beltline alignments that I'm thinking Henry wouldn't have approved and furthermore I think there would be more ink on it...

...and again since it isn't OEM @Woodiebill you can throw it in their face in bargaining if you must have it...I'd do some more shopping and you may come up with an even nicer 5window with even more to offer...but at least you can flip the wool back in their face now...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  20. Fogger

Fogger

This beautiful '38 3W was at the GNRS a number of years ago and was expertly built by a team of master craftsmen. All the proportions were spot on and it looked like a body style that Ford should have produced. If the OPs post is a steel body who knows for sure if it was a prototype or a recreation. Looks good to me! This car was my show favorite. IMG_2771.JPG

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you answered that question...expertly crafted and as mentioned there's nothing wrong with that, it's just the embellishment with absolutely not 1 iota of documentation...I would be pretty surprised to see someone do that to a 11 OEM run of Automobile...not that rare cars haven't been cut up...

It would have surely been a covered subject here by now...and as your post pointed out Henry would have done well with them...perhaps they went to 5 window due to safety issues aka the blind spot...there must have been a dealbreaker...it sure wasn't looks...

Thor1 and brady1929 like this.
  22. Rckt98

Rckt98

23. Of course it's bullshit.

Thor1, mgtstumpy, da34guy and 2 others like this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm not sure about the year callout but as far as fiberglass 3 window cars go, I recall the name J.B. Donaldson from back in my street rod days.

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the door handles could have been given some better thought, may as well have did keyless pushbutton entry...

Its funny Rckt's example better mimics 37 where the 38 Fogger shared has a more 36 flavor about it...but speaking from a Customizer's standpoint it's really a topic of freedom to explore...but the more you can stick to the year of base the more it resonates a plausible reality...

26. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

The op is quoting the dealers ad. It is a good looking 37and it may be steel but doubt original Ford build. For $61,000 it better be nice.

Thor1, Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1937-ford-3-window-coupe.1261644/#post-14454132

The bottom link in my post IS the 61K ad with the Folklore and all...say what you want about the Big Auction houses they wouldn't be pushing Folklore...

...and yes there is plenty of modern details and plenty of images...no mention of any business that boxed and pretty much redid everything on this exceptionally rare Ford...as I say the Folklore is an great reason to offer less...just for the sake of being misled but BS is also a pretty Traditional sales tactic...

Thor1 likes this.
  28. Squablow

Squablow

Not a factory item, and even if it was I doubt they made a copy of the later split rear window and added it to this rare 11 car run and then brought it back a few years later.

It's a neat car and a shame a bunch of lies are getting attached to it.

If a guy started with a long door '37 club coupe and reshaped the door tops and brought the back of the roof forward with an extended cat walk, a very nicely proportioned '37 3W coupe could be made without a ton of expert metalcraft.

Thor1, Hamtown Al and Stogy like this.
  29. That was a 36.

Hamtown Al and Stogy like this.
  30. A tweaked 36 with a 37 front and split windshield fudged in.

If the first hearing of a production run of 37 3W coupes comes from a car dealer/auction site...well that's about all you need to know.

Thor1, hotrodjack33, gnichols and 2 others like this.