Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Recommendation for custom flat glass.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Do it Over, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Soon I'll be ready for glass in my chopped 35 Ford 5W. Who do you guy reccomend for the job. I'm mocking all glass in plexi first then will draw out templates. Figure best to have it done by someone in the hobby who's experienced.
    Thanks
    Leon

20200406_190257.jpg

2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

In the past I have used a company in CA. called The Glass House. They have done 8 or 9 cars for me. I always send them a hard pattern and have the side and rear glass tempered. I think they have changed their name to Hot Rod Glass? They have always been reasonably quick and reasonably priced and their glass has always fit. When I go out to the shop in the morning I will get their number and post it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

If it's only flat glass any good auto glass shop can make it for you. I had a few pieces for my '46 Station Wagon and a windshield made for my Deuce Roadster made locally.

4. We are fortunate enough to have a couple of shops in town that cut automotive glass and keep flat glass in stock, I usually let one of the local upholstery shops cut my glass.

Check out the phone book in your area. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

6. I forgot about Lloyd, can't find someone local let a hamber cut your glass. HRP

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This might be the place that @krylon32 is referring to. Guy's a hot rodder. Did the windshield and side windows for my '39 p/u. Excellent work, fair price, and fast turn around. I know others who have used them and they were happy as well.
    https://streetrodglass.com/
    18935 Van Buren Boulevard STE A4, Riverside, CA 92508
    (951) 789-8870

Flathead Dave and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Be a few weeks, this guy get his shoulder cut open on Monday :(

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

dammit.....

10. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

There is a great glass place in Conn. and they have plenty of patterns, I have used them and they are very reasonable on their price. 1-800-889-3826

11. chop&drop

chop&drop

Just about any shop that does auto glass should be able to fix you up if you’ve got your own patterns.

chopped likes this.
  12. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a local glass shop cut all the glass for my 47 coupe. Gave them patterns and they did a smoke grey. It all came out nice and wasn't that expensive, back then!:D

13. gene-koning

gene-koning

Around 1995, I went to a local glass shop to see if they would cut glass for my 35 Dodge sedan. They pointed to the new guy at the shop and said, he will be learning to cut glass on your car, or we can't do it. The "new guy" did great. He ended up opening his own auto glass shop a few years later. That guy has cut all my auto glass, up until this last truck I built. The project before this last truck was the last glass his shop would cut for me, his kid cut it, and it wasn't very good. Our discussion (the owner and me) concerning that glass didn't go well either. I guess 20+ years wasn't a bad run for a glass guy, he cut a lot of glass for me over those 20+ years.
    With each glass, I either made a template out of 1/4" plyboard, or had an original piece of glass to use as a pattern.

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whatever you do follow the Dr's and physical therapist's instructions to the letter. Do the PT and don't try to hurry the recovery. That's what I did with my shoulder surgery and I had no issues afterwards. Good luck. And be nice to Ashley. I'm sure she'll take good care of you while you recover.

15. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

Here in NYC local auto glass shops are extinct. There are some commercial glass/mirror shops but none cutting auto glass. making it worse is costs here are sky high. I spoke with a guy on Ebay a while ago who had great references and a reasonable price but I like to deal with HAMBER's and hot rodders when possible.

Dick Stevens likes this.
  16. Rotator cuff surgery? HRP

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YIKES:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Good luck with the surgery buddy:D

18. I have bone spurs dug into the bursa, just gotta grind them out and debried the inflammation, he says it's not a big deal, 2 weeks to recover. I've been off work since the 3rd week of March. My orthopedic surgeon collects old Mercedes, I do all of his paint work, so I'm sure he'll take good care of me, I have one of his cars on the schedule for June lol

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  19. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Tman likes this.
  20. putz

putz
    from wisc.

custom tempered glass ???? where ?

seb fontana likes this.
  21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does that mean for 2 weeks you'll have to use the other hand;):D???

22. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I don't think anyone said anything about tempered glass. Custom cut glass would be laminated.

23. There are places that cut plate and temper it, I believe somebody was talking about it back up towards the top.

bobkatrods likes this.
  24. swifty

swifty

@krylon32 mentioned it in post #2
    My glass guy insists on tempered glass in all doors to avoid breakage if someone slams your door. All other glass he does in laminated.
    Got a problem with my current build though. Glass sticks up about 1 1/4" above the sill and I can't cut any off the bottom as it's tempered. BTW it's in a 32-5W

25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Waterjet should do it.

26. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The glass guy I referenced in post 7 had the side windows he cut for my p/u tempered.

27. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

If you have patterns and it is flat glass find a window/door shop,they get their glass from a supplier, most suppliers can temper and laminate. The suppliers won't sell to you unless you have a business account but a shop probably willing to make a few bucks for getting it for you. I do it for my friends because I have a account at a glass supply.

28. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Any flat glass supply should be able to cut plate and temper.

29. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Tempered glass is just flat plate that is cut then tempered. Cannot normally be cut or ground after tempering so I'm told? I am currently using Street Rod Glass for the tempered side glass in my deuce tudor. 951-786-8870 Riverside CA.

51504bat likes this.
  30. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if you install your own temporary mock template be sure to use new rubber seals - had flat stock windshield glass done and guy drew a line around original glass and did not precisely match it - a couple of days later jacked up rear of car and cracked both sides of front glass - remember,body will flex