Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tire clearance on Model A Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NasT, Apr 15, 2022.

1. NasT

NasT
    from MD

I got a nice 9" that is brand new from a buddy that was setup for a Falcon. There are no Drums or backing plates that came with it, just axles and some steel wheels with approx 4.5" backspacing.

I measure 46" between the tires. and looks like axle flange to axle flange is about 54".

My 30' coupe subframe without sheet metal is roughly a hair under 43". Not running fenders.

That gives about 1.5" of clearance on each side.

Is that enough? Might be too tight?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  2. Wheel offset may make the difference.

Tim likes this.
  3. NasT

NasT
    from MD

Yeah most of the wheels Im looking at had a 4.5" backspace. The OE chrome reverse wheels that I was looking at in a 15x8 didn't really have any 3-in backspacing. At least that I saw I might be wrong? Or even 3.5" would help.

4. To gain about 3/8 inch you could install extra long wheel studs,and run a wheel spacer.Its going to be tight.

5. NasT

NasT
    from MD

Yeah most other rears I've read were 55" min wheel mating surface to wheal mating surface or 57.25".

So im 1" shy of 55".

6. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

It might be doable, it’s gonna be close. 54” seems a bit narrow for a Falcon I had a 9” built for a ‘65 Falcon I built that was narrower than stock I think it was 54 1/2 if I recall. I use a lot of the wheel vintiques OE wheels They are 3.5-4.5 for most standard 5”-7” wide wheels. I’m very tight like that on my ‘40 I get an occasional rub on the inside from body roll but I’ve put many many miles on mine like that you might try it. Worst case you may need custom offset wheels.

NasT likes this.
  7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I would think 1.5" inches of clearance should be plenty. I'd try it and then add a spacer if it rubs, but I think it should be fine. Of course if you have a very expensive paint job on your car, then you need to be sure.:)

gasshole and X-cpe like this.
  8. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Pete&Jakes rears for Model A are 56” wide

9. Just a thought if your not too far along in the build.....move the inner wheel well of the quarter panel in at the top.A mini tub if you will.An inch ,or so per side at the top. It would barely show.

NasT likes this.
  10. NasT

NasT
    from MD

Good idea! Thx

11. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Since they are steel wheels, you can also change the backspacing by removing the centers and welding them in at a different backspacing.

NasT likes this.