Register now to get rid of these ads!

Enclosed Ramp Truck?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mohr hp, Apr 10, 2022.

1. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Were there any commercially produced enclosed ramp trucks? Was this ever a thing? I've been searching modern OT 14' box trucks, and it appears all have flat floors. I'd like to haul a hot rod while towing a vintage camper. Only thing I can think of is buying a box truck and detach the back half of the frame and floor behind the axle and reattach on a slant. So there goes a year of shop time...Want the security of an enclosure, but the drive on ability of a ramp truck. Anyone?

tractorguy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  2. pnevells

pnevells

Oleynik made box ramp trucks for many teams in the late 60's Jenkins, Sox and Martin used them
    oleynik.JPG

3. 24riverview

24riverview

My son bought a cheap box van for hauling his T bucket when he had it. We just made some simple 2x12 ramps reinforced with some angle iron on the bottom and then supported with a couple jackstands in the middle. Winch in the front for pulling it in. Insurance was a pain though, everyone wanted to charge a commercial rate. Can post pictures later if you're interested.

4. pnevells

pnevells

Here is another pic of inside of Sox and Martins ramp box truck
    oleynik2.JPG

5. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As posted earlier, this type of hydraulic lift, when adapted to a 20 ft box truck, might be workable for you, but the cost of this type of lift, isn't a cheap one.

liftgate 2 (2).jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. 24riverview

24riverview

Bought the van for $1000. We added the 2x12 runners on the floor, made the "steps" to help getting over the wheel wells. Added a frame work for a receiver type winch mount in the front and tie down loops front and rear. Pulled it in with the winch and normally just backed it out. Slid the ramps in under the car.
    DSCF2840-1.JPG 20171102_151517-1.jpg 20171102_151533-1.jpg 20171102_151552-1.jpg

7. Nacifan

Nacifan

Grumpy prostock11.jpg GS truck-n- trailer.jpg GS larry-watson-truck-10-W.jpg jungle jims hauler.jpg jungle jims haulr big truck.jpg The big Red truck is a Grumpy Bill Jenkins Pro Stock hauler from the 70's. The next 2 pictures are the Ford Cab over Customized by Larry Watson to haul the Golden Sarah and "Kookie Car"
    Where is this hauler now ?? The white truck with the red spots is an early JJ rig. The last (sorry 4 the off topic racer)...Jungle Jim's (JJ) mid 70's Box truck/Ramp truck Hauler. All "Box Truck/ Ramp Trucks...

8. Chi-Town Hustler hauler. Converted from their open setup.
    chitown_hauler.jpg

RMR&C and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  9. Inside of Grumpy's hauler.
    grumpy hauler inside.png

10. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

So i would think one could do that with a used rental truck quite simple

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Was wondering how @Marty Strode plans on loading his cars in his cabover.
    Sorry, couldn't find a current photo.

upload_2022-4-10_13-49-10.png

12. Yup...but instead of 2x12's, we used an engine hoist...wouldn't want to move a finished car this way but necessity is the mother of invention (I believe that's how the saying goes).

DSC00318.JPG
    DSC00317a.jpg
    DSC00320a.jpg

tractorguy and TA DAD like this.
  13. In my overly ambitious mind, I had great plans to swap the van body out and replace it with the COE body on the trailer to create an early enclosed car hauler...but I soon realized that I had too many projects and this one landed on the cutting room floor. And, I apologize in advance if this is considered a body/frame swap or a too new no-no by the mods.
    DSC04625.JPG

tractorguy, 41 GMC K-18 and Motorwrxs like this.
  14. spanners

spanners

Box type ex rental with a good set of ramps and air bags on the truck. Drop the air which lowers the rear and lessens the approach angle.

15. Ex-Sox & Martin hauler...
    ExSox&MartinHauler_01.jpg ExSox&MartinHauler_02.jpg ExSox&MartinHauler_03.jpg

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  16. Another used-to-be open ramp truck with added-on skin. I have a few other similar shots saved off the interwebz that show this kind of "upgrade" to the hauler. Cheaper than buying a semi.
    colormegonehauler.jpg

jimmy six, RMR&C and LOST ANGEL like this.
  17. Ray Alley's Engine Masters setup, shot by my good buddy Mike Galewski way back when.
    1969WinterNats-EngineMastersHauler_MikeGalewski.jpg

jimmy six, RMR&C and LOST ANGEL like this.
  18. Another iteration of the Chi-Town Hustler hauler.
    chitown_hauler_02.jpg

19. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Thanks for all the replies guys. Plenty to think about.

20. Boatmark

Boatmark

One unique one I remember belonged to Petty Enterprises. It appeared that they took a crew cab roll-back wrecker, and either built a box on it, or attached a pre-made box on the deck.

Loaded and unloaded just like a regular roll-back . . . Except it was a box.

Too small for race duty with the Cup car. I assumed it was used to carry a show car, or maybe move stuff from shop to shop.

21. Boatmark

Boatmark

If shopping surplus rental trucks, I think U-Haul has some large trucks that are built with lower deck’s and suspension than the same size Penske or Budget trucks.

22. Boatmark

Boatmark

I’d like to have Marty’s truck even if I had nothing to carry in it. It’s just cool!