Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lacquer paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Derrick Boyle, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Derrick Boyle

Derrick Boyle

Need some help, painting my car with the dupli color lacquer because of the ease of it but I started on a test piece and after wet sanding clear the primer( which looked good) has these spots in it. Doesn't look like orange peel? Can I just sand clear coat then primer again to fill this? 20220410_162725.jpg

Elcohaulic likes this.
  2. Honestly looks like painted over rust pits

full size the pic would help

3. Derrick Boyle

Derrick Boyle

No rust 2k primer under it, looks great in dark but in sun it looks like that, I'm afraid of moving forward before I figure how to fill this 20220410_162717.jpg

Elcohaulic likes this.
  4. Looks like your prep work was not good enough. Lacquer is super thin and will hide nothing. There were clearly pits still left in your body work before you applied the paint. You need to go back to your prep stage and fix it.

5. High build primer.Block sand then color shoot.Lacquer takes several coats.In the old days guys bragged about 10 coats of hand rubbed Lacquer.

SS327 and Derrick Boyle like this.
  6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Agree. Not enough sanding before you shot the lacquer. If you used lacquer primer, as well, BOTH are shrinking up into the pits.

joel, SS327, SPEC and 2 others like this.
  7. 5window

5window

I'm no painter, but not many people I know claim lacquer is easy.

8. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I shot my O/T daily driver with the Duplicolor Paint shop lacquer. I was really happy with the shine . I did a thumbnail so it wasn’t too offensive. B727616C-4FBB-44F0-AB0E-3D5F38C1F359.jpeg

bobss396 likes this.
  9. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

Nothing off-topic here. I just see a pic of a period correct driveway with a slab from the 1960s, right?

10. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1986 pour but you were close

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, if your rt hand is raised that it isn't pits in the metal or primer then what you have there is solvent pop. Lacquer dries fast but solvents need purge time. If it skins over but has trapped solvents where it's still wet below the "skin" the vapors have to get out some how. They perk thru the top of the finish. This happens when the coating is excessively heavy combined with a solvent that dries too quickly. Fill it? Sadly, no. It will come back when it all shrinks down a cpl weeks later.
    Take it down to where the pits are gone. Probably 400 will do but then smooth it out with 800 or 1000 and blend in the repair. Make sure all the areas around it are clean too, then rub it hard with a dry cloth. Coat it to taste, then mix a cap full of clear in some slow dry solvent. Gently whisp that over it until the overspray melts. Don't hurry, that blending matl will run like water. Wet enough to melt, but not enough to run. Too dry is a waste of time.
    Now if it is pitting in the base metal or primers or filler, no you can't just pile more on. Fix it and repair as described.

12. Yup, solvent shot is what we called it. I have also seen it on model car paint jobs.

hrm2k likes this.
  13. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I agree with Highlander. As stated, you are basically painting over "still drying thinner". We always used cheap thinner on lacquer primer coats. Give them ample time to season out. It wont work with the base/clear method and the 2 day paint job.
    I have let a panel dry a couple of days before, especially in high humidity conditions in a garage setting. If you have a booth, you may shave some time.
    Good luck. Repost new pics when you get there.