Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My other adventures brought me to Bayview on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday. The car did great on the cross-town hauls, including on the hill climbs. Each time, I worked to take a different route to change up the scenery. There was a lot to enjoy.
    IMG_2893.JPG
    Last Wednesday, I drove the roadster to welding class. The temperature was in the 70s that night, and I made sure to savor every second of it. In class, we had our intro to TIG welding. I've been looking forward to that day for a long, long time. The fact that I got to drive there in my hot rod felt pretty surreal—almost like something you'd read about in a Henry Gregor Felsen book or watch in a hot rod B-movie.

While I was walking over to pick up my gear, I saw the nose of the car through the shop's garage door. I couldn't help but smile.

I'll share more about my TIG welding experience at a later date, but I will say this: once I have access to 220, I'm buying one. I love the feel and I can't wait to put it to good use on this project. IMG_2897.JPG
    I did swing by my favorite neon sign in all of San Francisco on the way home. When I pulled up, folks spilled out of the bar to see what was causing all that commotion.

"Are you ever going to paint it?" asked the man in the flannel shirt.
    "Nooooo," said the woman in white, running her hand along the quarter panel.
    "I wanted to at one point," I replied, "and maybe I eventually will. But right now I'm having too much fun with it exactly how it is."

With that, I hit the road.

2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_2941.JPG
    My next trip was Norm Rapp's garage sale, which I mentioned earlier. For that full story, check out my Jalopy Journal entry here.
    IMG_2912.JPG
    Mags.
    IMG_2925.JPG
    Late-'40s hot rodding.
    IMG_2927.JPG
    Racecar stuff.
    IMG_3012.jpg
    And my parts haul. On the first day, I searched high and low for those fuel line clamps and couldn't find any. When I went back on Sunday I stumbled upon this custom fuel system and I couldn't be more excited. These will be perfect with my Strombergs on the Weiand 2x2 intake.

3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That's all for tonight. Next up, we'll be talking front suspension, spindles and more. Stay tuned! IMG_2957.jpg

4. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Just found the tread, Looking good this far

Stogy, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fantastic update-s!

love the driving about town shots and everything else.

what are the other pieces of your score from the sale? I can’t quite place them but they look neat!

you’ll have a driving chassis in no time at this rate :)

6. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Joey, I just read through several pages to get caught back up. Very cool start on your Traditional Hot Rod V2. Now I have quick change envy. So much fun!

7. You don't have a washer/dryer at your home?

J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  8. trad27

trad27

Looking good, when I retired my harbor freight and finally bought a real welder I knew I had to have a tig. Can't beat the quality of welds and versatilety able to weld aluminum, sheet metal and everything in between but I have to admit i wish I had a mig sometimes. Everything is a process with tig, sometimes wish I could just plug in a pull a trigger for a quick tack or something little.

Spoggie, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Id assume that if his apartment has laundry machines they are either several floors away from the garage or communal for the building and they probably aren’t mega stoked on him in plugging a machine and running a cord down the hall.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  10. Jeff34

Jeff34

Or it's a gas dryer like mine.

GREAT stuff, Joey! Keep on it! If it's nice, I'll be rollin' around town this weekend.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  11. Joey, thanks for considering me as a friend. It means a lot to me. As for the Broadway Tunnel, IIRC it is about 1/4 mile long. Yes, we drag raced through the tunnel. The only worry was the stop light at the far end of the tunnel. Not the North Beach end.

J.Ukrop, Outback, WalkerMD and 3 others like this.
  12. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@J.Ukrop
    Another cool place for awesome neon back drop photos, is out in front of the CASTRO theater!
    Keep the cool shots coming!

J.Ukrop, Outback and Six Ball like this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Friend? Hell I was going for Grandpa!:rolleyes: Thanks for thinking about me at all. SF at night was a special place for a lot of my life. All tunnels are cool in hot rods. :eek: The Caldecott Tunnel from Orinda into Oakland is sometimes a rabbit hole into a different climate valley heat to bay fog.

14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! We're having lots of fun, and we have some big things planned.

Thanks Tim! I've been driving more than I've been posting, that's for sure. The car is running excellent.

So, that's the big question. I believe they're Midget rear suspension components from the 1950s. Interestingly enough, they're cast steel that's been chromed. If you look closely, there's a name cast in there. I'll take a detail photo tomorrow. My first thought when I saw them? Headlight stands. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to run them, but they could be fun to mock up!

Right now the goal is roller by summer, driving by fall. Not a day goes by that I'm not working on this thing!

Thank you, Mark! I'm glad that I can follow your builds on Instagram too. No shortage of fun happening in either of our garages!

Hahah I do. The problem is that our place turns 100 this year, and when you walk the lights sometimes flicker...

In a perfect world I'll have a MIG and a TIG in my life. Maybe even a front yard too...

You got that right!

We missed you this weekend! We have an exciting day planned for this upcoming Saturday, though.

You're for sure a friend. I even keep your business card in my desk! I told my friends about the Broadway Tunnel drag racing and they were shocked and excited. It gives me goosebumps knowing that I'm driving the same streets as the hot rodders of yesteryear. I have an article in the works that I think you'll appreciate.

For sure! Back when I lived on Corbett in Twin Peaks, you could see the neon glow from a mile away. I'll snap a picture next time I'm there with the roadster.

Hahahah I'm always thinking about your adventures as I cruise around the area. Oh man, Caldecott Tunnel is a fun one for sure. I remember ripping through it on my motorcycle one night after a party in Martinez. Seeing that it was sunny when I left San Francisco, I only brought sunglasses. Well, when nighttime fell, I realized I would have to ride home sans eyewear. Not ideal! Especially on bias ply tires with no front fender on a half-century old bike. At least I got a good shower from the puddles at the mouth of the tunnel.

15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ever since day one, this project has been about learning. In the past two weeks, David has helped me demystify so much of the hot rod building process.

Last week, we put together the front suspension. IMG_2955.jpg
    It all started with the bare frame on the floor.
    IMG_2957-1.jpg
    Then we laid everything in place.
    IMG_2958.jpg
    And then we pushed out the old bushings on this spring perch using a modified KR Wilson tool. IMG_2960.jpg
    Out with the old.
    IMG_2961.jpg
    After I sandblasted the perches, David gifted me a set of bronze bushings machined by his friend Jerry. They're perfect. He then showed me the correct way to disassemble a spring using clamps and all-thread.
    IMG_2965.jpg
    This is exciting stuff!
    IMG_2964.jpg
    I blasted the old U-bolts and related hardware.
    IMG_2968.jpg
    And then we ate lunch.

16. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_2972.jpg
    Since the original crank clamp won't work with the Deuce radiator and grille shell, David welded a block to the bottom to make up the difference. IMG_2978.jpg
    We were both dead-set on using original U-bolts, which took a little bit of convincing to work with the So-Cal front crossmember. But it's all together now, and I'm really happy with how it looks.

Last Saturday, we were confident that we could get the front end together. Unfortunately, I discovered that my '35-'36 Ford spindles will not work with the four-inch dropped '32 axle and the '37-'41 kingpins. Luckily @Hitchhiker is the man and set me up with a set of round-back spindles that will be getting here later this week. It's hard to say for sure, but I think they came from the same old hot rod as my perch pins. We'll see.

17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Right before I left the shop, David showed me how to remove rivets with a torch. He perfected this technique while working at Vern Tardel's infamous Prune Orchard, and it's incredible to see how easily he can make the metal do exactly what he wants. "Cutting, bending, cleaning—the torch can do it all," David told me as 90-year-old rivets popped from the Model A crossmember.
    IMG_2974.jpg That afternoon, he gave me a homework assignment: have the crossmember trimmed to the exact width (39 9/16ths) and cleaned up by the time I came back. IMG_3091.jpg
    So I did exactly that. I'm sure the neighbors enjoyed it.

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Last Saturday, we jumped right in. We started by setting the narrowed crossmember into the frame and removing bushings. Next, David taught me how to correctly remove a torque tube from an early Ford banjo.
    IMG_3098.jpg
    It was fun to finally tear into this thing. I was surprised that nothing was seized or even stripped. We'll be shortening the torque tube once we get the quickchange in place. IMG_3099.jpg
    Some of the work even required a very small wrench.
    IMG_3100.jpg
    Salvageable hardware.
    IMG_3102.JPG
    On Saturday afternoon, gray Petaluma skies transformed into a clear blue day. We took a customer's 1945 Ford GPW for a test drive during lunch. David had just revived it from a long slumber, and it ran perfectly on our trip to town. I had never been in this early of a Jeep (type vehicle), but I had a blast riding shotgun. With its flathead four, three-speed transmission and solid axles, it's amazing how similar it feels to my roadster.
    IMG_3103.JPG
    Other visitors included our pal Sonny and his HD Servi-Car and one of David's customers in their 1967 Crown bus.
    IMG_3106.JPG
    The bus is an absolute behemoth, and the inside is a total time-warp with its streamlined features throughout.
    IMG_3108.JPG
    Once the visitors had come and gone, I used a pair of homemade C-clamps to help disassemble the rear spring. Three leafs were removed, and we slid everything into position. IMG_3111.JPG
    All the rear end components are on loan from my friend Aaron. My quickchange leaves Texas in the morning, and I'm already counting down the days until I can unbox it! IMG_3112.jpg
    We're now up to speed on the fabrication and assembly. I have a few small updates that I'll throw in when it's time, but more on that later.

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well dang!

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Keep going Kid.

Great journey you are on.

21. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Awesome work mate! You are certainly kicking goals!

22. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

Looks great, Joey. Are you putting a coupe body on this chassis with the flathead?

Two cars are better than one. A banger roadster for the sunny days, and a flathead coupe for the cold or rainy ones

23. Jeff34

Jeff34

Great stuff, Joey! Keep it goin'

J.Ukrop likes this.
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wow, Joey! Your Deuce frame looks like a twin to mine, (but going under my '27 T Touring body)
    Nice work on the front end, the 'U' bolts and clamp turned out very 'sanitary'.
    Strictly by habit, I incorporated a dead perch on the passenger side of mine. Old ones die hard...

41 GMC K-18 and J.Ukrop like this.
  25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The caps you're using: HRM coined them "Baldies", that's what we always called 'em. Used to be in stock at San Jose American Auto, Urzi's, and Grand Auto... 2 bucks each. First saw (and bought) them in '55, Norm Grabowski had 'em on the 'Lightnin' Bug', with 15" black steelies and wide whites. We followed suit.
    Seeing the movie "Hot Rod Gang", John Ashly was driving Scritchfield's '32 roadster, 'chariot racin' with the bespectacled character in the Tony LaMasa roadster, beating the baldy caps to death!
    My buds Rams (channeled 'A' Coupe) and Wimpy ('32 highboy 5 window) and humble self (channeled '31 Cabriolet) got onto the wheel-to-wheel 'chariot thump' on El Camino Real, between Santa Clara and San Jose...
    Second gear, 35-45 MPH sounded like full throttle to the shocked citizens lining the street... and the clashing of hubcaps added to the carnage!
    Rams discovered a lot that sold new & used small 'house' or 'camp trailers', and all of them had BALDY CAPS!
    Took all of 30 minutes one dark night for him and Fat Tommy to empty the trailer lot of the whole stock of Baldies!
    Never counted 'em all, but there were stacks of the bulbous caps in his basement.
    They stacked 'all crooked', like bowls on the shelves of a greasy spoon... We had baldies all day...
    This was about 32 miles south of S.F., Santa Clara... "There used to be a town..."

26. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

Frame and suspension are really coming together, looks great.

J.Ukrop and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  27. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

@J.Ukrop just out of interest what are the wide 5 drums on your friends diff? (Sprint car I'm guessing?)

J.Ukrop likes this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Lots of great progress! We are all benefiting from your education.
    The craziest Caldecott Tunnel story I ever heard was form my mother in law. In the '30s she and her high school friends would drive through the wrong way! Only two tunnels back in those days.

Outback, J.Ukrop and Beanscoot like this.
  29. Go Joey go!! Looking good. Making some excellent progress. Love the updates so please keep them coming.

Brian B

Six Ball, Outback and J.Ukrop like this.
  30. We're the perch pins orange too? I've forgotten.... Definitely the same car if so. They all came from the same horde. Wallingford area of Seattle, not sure where he got them, but he had been going to local swaps since the 50's. I even have the split wishbones, that i am using in my 29 AV8 i am about to start building.. I had some orange headlights too that I sold years ago.