Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Really screwed up yesterday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodrhp, Apr 12, 2022.

1. greener200

greener200

Don't beat yourself up too much .chit happens. My brother backed his brand new F150 into his 35 Ford Coupe ...in his own driveway . It was so ugly I couldn't even take a photo ......insurance was his friend on that one . Nothing but pride and the wallet was hurt.

mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I should have stuck with doing my own cook’n….

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

bet there are a lot worse stories already on here, or have not been told - yep, a lot harder on myself than anyone else would - unless they work for Law Enforcement - have insurance for serious stuff - the rest I pay for myself - one my joys was talking myself into buying a project that just sucked so much time and money out of me that I sold it - just to repeat again at a later date

mad mikey and olscrounger like this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

can't imagine what the thought process was that would make a person think it would be a good idea to back a car and trailer up while talking on the phone with anything of value behind it.

5. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

I'm a bonafied restorer so I always repair first before replacing .

6. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Maybe a luggage rack and trunk !

7. gene-koning

gene-koning

Well, that sucks, but it happens.
    The more its going to cost you to fix it, the better your going to remember it, and the less chance you will do that same mistake a second time.

For the guys that have done the same thing multiple times, it either didn't cost as much as it should have to fix it, or your a really slow learner.

This is coming from a guy that had a garage full of broken hot rod parts. I was a slow learner, but I did find a lot of different ways to break stuff.

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A wise friend of mine once told me when I was bemoaning a stupid thing I did, that "If money can fix it, it's not a tragedy". You didn't get hurt, nobody died ..... a hundred years from now, nobody will care.
    Myself, I wouldn't involve insurance, my rates would just get raised for the next few years. Get it fixed and fergetaboutit!

mad mikey, olscrounger and Stogy like this.
  9. twenty8

twenty8

Just to make you feel better about yourself.............

Driver50x, 49ratfink and Tman like this.
  10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]I'm sure there's a cellphone in there, too.

11. Mother in-law stepped in some dog crap. Father in-law simply asked "did it hurt"?

No injuries and nothing that can't be fixed may not make what happened fun but your life could be a lot worse ...

Fix it and move on ...

Certainly easier said than done but well worth doing :)

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just think he might get to watch it on YouTube if someone happened to catch it on their phone...:eek:

I'm thinking of Elmer Fudd for some reason or was that Yosemite Sam...

I dragged the passenger side of my 66 GTO ragtop along a BIG SOLID concrete support when I took a turn to sharp in underground parking...you could have heard my f bombs at myself right across the province...:D

Sorry but yeah...its not only you...;)

...and yeah maybe Insurance will cover it as that's what its for...without any penalties...maybe just deductable...whatever you do get it fixed and put it behind you...outta sight outta mind...;)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    mad mikey likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh do I hate that...grrrrrr...I have visions over the laundry tub washing it off and then splashes in your face....grrrrrr!!!

427 sleeper likes this.
  14. wicarnut

wicarnut

Everybody does careless/dumb at sometime in their life, Don't be so hard on yourself. The Sun came up and set, you have your health.The big picture Buddy.

mad mikey, olscrounger and greener200 like this.
  15. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I would say... Pics or it didnt happen...

Everyone screws up man... Dont take it too hard. Make a plan and move onward... I would see what its going to cost to fix and if its 5 to 10k Id probably take the insurance hike and get a new insurance company in a year or so... They wont adjust your rate immediately either so you got a while but having that payout and getting things fixed now is nice... I look at it this way... couple hundred a year if you stayed with the company takes a long time to add up to 5 to 10k. Just saying.

16. fuzzface

fuzzface

I never talk on the phone when I am driving, not even if I am in just my yard. Could have been worse, could have been on the phone and hit someone while driving or backed into someone elses car.

But anyways yes we all do bone head moves at one time or another. Don't ask me about the time I ripped a front chrome bumper off a new Mack truck backing it up.

mad mikey, alanp561 and olscrounger like this.
  17. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Like I said "stupid"

49ratfink likes this.
  18. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Actually took the call in front of my house, hands free, and not actually driving. Must take my wife's advice and slow down, always multi-tasking. I've chilled out recovered the car and will deal with it another day.

mad mikey and 210superair like this.
  19. As long as you learned something from it, that's a plus, if not, it's a mute point. Pretty sure you learned something on this one though.

mad mikey and Blue One like this.
  20. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just like HRP says no good shit happens to someone talking on a phone and driving! That aside, sorry for your dilemma and we've all been there.

21. Latigo

Latigo

Hard not to notice the common thread of “I was backing up....” in most of these stories. I saw some statistics on the number of backing up accidents several years ago. I look for pull through parking spaces when possible. Backing gets more treacherous every year.

clem, mad mikey, 34 5W Paul and 2 others like this.
  22. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Man, I do agree with at least it was you. Would you have been more or less mad if someone else hit it?

I picked up my ot car from the body shop when I was like 21. Was at my parents with my fresh as a daisy car after crashing it racing a buddy. Mom asked me to back her car out of the garage. You can guess what happened then. I was so pissed I went for a walk in the woods and didn't come out for like four hours, lol...

mad mikey and Fitty Toomuch like this.
  23. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Things happen every day, just fix it and one of these days in the future you will laugh about it. Always remember to put the phone down though.

I want to write a book about my screw ups one day. At 73 it won't be in chapters but volumes.

mad mikey likes this.
  24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's not so bad. The other day someone spit like quarter...:eek:

But seriously, WTF is all this "...premiums go up..." bullshit? My pal jacked his 34 Packard roadster door real good. $2,000 repair. His premium rise, NOTHING. And the company was Johnny On The Spot with the check and claim review. Same with another buddy who wrinkled up his 41 Packard front fender against a low fire hydrant. Needed the car for a meet in 2 weeks so we got it ironed out and ready, and again no premium increase and fast review and payment. Do what you feel you must but unless you're a serial insurance claimer what's the worry.

clem and mad mikey like this.
  25. Thomas K.

Thomas K.

I feel bad for you but stuff happens. I backed my 29 out of the driveway and before I got it in 1rst gear my wife backed her F150 into my left front fender. I did the usual screaming to myself then got out a shot bag and mallet. Beat the dent out without damaging any thing and we went to the cruise. Thank God for thick old ford metal!

mad mikey likes this.
  26. littlemann

littlemann
    from colorado

My neighbor started his tractor in gear and it slammed into a pro street 67 nova and a 69 chevelle.....caved in 4 quarter panels.....that's text book bad day!

I forgot to put the retainer nut on my grinder and the soft wheel I had on it for removing paint slipped off and bounced off me - the wall - then it hit my perfectly painted 1950 chevy truck. dang it

mad mikey likes this.
  27. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"Nope that’s one hell of a fuck up, glad I’ve never done something like that…"

That just set you up to being next . . .

28. Budget36

Budget36

Everyone has done “dumb stuff”. I splurged and bought a new roll up door to semi enclose a carport in my driveway while working on a ‘42 Ford PU. Had the truck running good, sounded good with the new pipes on it

Buddy came by to hear it run, being so proud of my work I reached through to fire the truck up, show off my skills. Truck fired right up and took me and the truck 1/2 through my 600 dollar roll up I had just put up.
    I wasn’t on a cell phone though, but think I may have been more pissed at my beer dumping than the door;)

29. 1ton

1ton

Sucks that you said that you were on the phone. You made a good case for calling yourself an idiot.

30. Good deal, you beat yourself up enough, ;et us know how it turns out. HRP

mad mikey likes this.