Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Speaking of paint -

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 7, 2022.

1. clem

clem

Looks like it just needs a good cut and polish for the body and some nice shiny gloss black for the guards/fenders………

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and indyjps like this.
  2. indyjps

indyjps

Consider a light buff and polish on the whole car, flat paint will go to a semi gloss sheen when buffed.

Love the look of the car with worn paint, much more character than a generic flat black hose down.

If the rattle can areas are too thin or failing shoot those with a semi gloss black and buff it out with the whole car.

Post up pics.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my youth I taped and painted many a 30s type car. The hater part is down the front fenders. Even with the hood off and the engine room in it's own tent it still sucked, and I was young and limber. And always took the headlights and bumpers off. Windows get the "gravel" effect if not wet enuff, or try too hard that's a popular run spot. It is doable but not a total cake walk. Some 30s cars are a bitch even taken apart. Or just touch it up. Get it too nice we won't recognize ya;)

And yeah, how about a latest rotogravieur?

bchctybob, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

One more thing....
    Most rattle can paint doesn't play well with auto paint. You will need to strip all that off, sand or chemical removal.

5. I’m in the make it shiny camp, if you are going tothe work. Or leave it the way it is, I wouldn’t do the work for semigloss but that’s just my worthless opinion.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  6. just paint the bad areas with a brush and some cheap flat/semi gloss enamel...if you don't wanna do that, just leave it be.
    once you start messin with it, they'll be no stoppin. and too much work....why make it look like all the others?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
    3W JOHN, Driver50x and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. If it's going to sit in one spot so people can stroll around it, lean over and peer at it, etc., then go ahead and paint it.
    But if it's going to be on the road doing stuff and going places, fuggedaboutit. Drive like it is. Life ain't a museum.

8. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

If you paint it shiny then you'll have to change your handle to HotRodShiny. Either way it's a great car. I think you'll be happy if you paint it.

ffr1222k, J.Ukrop, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  9. KenC

KenC

Funny, I was debating what color to paint my 56 Dodge PU project. Finally quit debating a few days ago and now have 6qts of Viper red waiting to be shot.

ffr1222k, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Just small funny from the 1960s; "Way back story"
    Steve Reep ,a good buddy that I helped him build his 30A sedan in highschool.
    He named,"Scarlet Fever". We painted it high gloss Red and I did the name an a little pinstriping in white. Rob,Steve n I stuffed a Y-block Ford 292 in, early 60s.
    Time and sun in Fla is less kind to red*,then other colors. So in first year Jr. Collage his red rod was fading.
    Steve was joking around how by next year his "A" would look pink. With our group hearing that;),he got ribbed for weeks about things ,like"Are you going to get a matching pink pocketbook" an other more colorful jabs.
    None of us had a garage ,just a car ports more often then not, full of Mom or Dads car at our homes or a big shade tree.
    Rob had enough Gloss Black left over from doing his Shoebox,an said he'd help me prep n spray Steve's A ,as a surprise for Steve's birthday, next week. Rob barowed Steve's A, saying he could use his shoebox for sat nite . I was not in on all the BS it took,but Rob drove Steve's A sedan over to my yard about 10;00 AM sat,cleaned an sanded ,taped n sprayed in my backyard,all on sat. just finished close to sunset. Turned out it would of been better to spray it in AM Sunday maybe *so the sun could of helped set it faster.
    Our best guess was the cat that lived next door just after sunset,had walked up the left front fender in the sticky paint. The next day when we took Steve over to see his shiny black A, found the hairy cat prints hard in the paint.
    Rob an I were shocked when we saw the cat foot prints,but Steve loved the way the hole car looked ,even liked the cat feet!! o_O
    Other then removing the hair,Steve called that character.
    Told us later about all the super hot girls he was able to get, for rides after showing them his custom cat feet!! :cool: I think more then a few of those girl storys were just rubbing it in, so to say. Not that hotrod buddy's would ever do that RIGHT!:p

Photo of Steve {seated} n I {on frender} ,resting after finished with working on Ford Y-block 292 V8. Was gloss red with white trim then.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
  11. Dana, good story. :)

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and dana barlow like this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sounds like he used kitty feet to get a little kitty tail.:D:D:D

13. Leave it like it is, Danny, and you will be the King of Beater Culture.

3W JOHN, Driver50x and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. You ain't right Phil! :D HRP

3W JOHN, Chili Phil and dana barlow like this.
  15. clem

clem

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    akoutlaw, bchctybob, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  16. A buddy and I got permission to use the huge spray tent in the boatyard where we worked (large enough to spray a 60' yacht) for a weekend to paint my '62 Studebaker Lark. We sanded, cleaned, sprayed any bare spots with rustoleum primer, and then sprayed it with two coats of rustoleum "royal blue". When we rolled it out Monday morning, everyone thought the lead painter at the yard had painted it for me. (I was a yacht carpenter) 1 1/2 quarts of rustoleum and a spray bomb of primer cost me about $20... The Stude had a 327 in it. 20210929_214239.jpg 20210929_214239.jpg

17. Semi gloss is the way to go. The part that is semi gloss now looks great. If you decide to go gloss, the real fun begins and it get to be like wiping your ass with a hoop... there's no end to it (meaning more detailing, panel work to get the reflections right, yada, yada). Besides, you're a driver, not a shiner.... semi and enjoy!

18. You know me too well.:D HRP

19. Paint the fenders gloss black and then scuff/dull them down to match the body............:)

bchctybob likes this.
  20. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

I have been debating the same thing. I decided to repaint my car after I started razor blading the paint off last weekend. I was bored and really wanted to see what was under the paint. Flat paint does not hide flaws in flat panels.

21. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

It took 90 years to achieve this patina. Never knew what color the body was until it was lightly wet sanded and buffed. I have several shiny ones but this one sees the most miles.
    32 ford 5w 3.jpg 32 ford side view.jpg 32 SS Cover Crop.jpg

bchctybob likes this.
  22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the satin black would look good, the "beater" paint looks good. both would grab my attention at a show, but if I only had one picture left to take, I'd shoot the beater.

shiny black is always best. especially when someone else is paying and doing all the work.:)

23. Shiney paint raises the value about 25% maybe more. Keep it = dull paint, sell it = shiney.

24. Danny,
    My dad had lots of fender cars that the fenders were black no matter what color the car was and they always shined like a new dime no matter what the rest of the paint looked like. This normally had to do with hammer and dolly work. Seems like the fenders were the first part to get uh Old?

They also normally had "stars" in them within a year or so of paint. He left them that way until that got bent again. He always told me that stars in the fenders meant that the car got driven and in my family a car that did not get driven was a waste.

25. das858

das858

That beautiful interior deserves a fresh paint job . Normally I would say gloss black , but the photo of your old pickup looks great .

26. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Can you buff semi gloss? It'd just end up gloss black correct? Lets say if you wet sanded and buffed blitz black, it'd just be gloss.

27. you'd be crazy to touch that car,....period.