Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC Rust Pit in Cylinder Wall, run it? fill with epoxy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOSTONCAMARO, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I know you said you’re using a different block now, but it doesn’t look like it’s even been brush honed yet.

BOSTONCAMARO likes this.
  2. I put a 350 back together for a daily driver pickup, and a couple of bores looked like that. More like staining than pitting. I ran it like that, until someone bought it. Don't remember any issues.
    Every man's shoes are different though.

Blues4U, BOSTONCAMARO and Tman like this.
  3. Now that I have wasted everyone's brain power, I am going to use another block I have, recently machined

Attached Files:

4. Moedog07

Moedog07

Dingleball or flat stone hone it, clean the mess out of the block and run it.

May be fine - it may not but I'd hone it and run it.

No to any filler, JB Weld or epoxy. It won't last in that harsh environment.

5. I had a 327 ci sbc that had 2 cylinders that were pitted I made the decision to sleeve the two bad cylinders and never experienced any problems. HRP

Desoto291Hemi and BOSTONCAMARO like this.
  6. pishta

pishta
    from Tustin, CA

Im gonna JB 1 82 Mazda B2000 cylinder. I have a 2mm x 2mm by maybe .002 deep (if that) as I can feel it but its like how a cleaned rust spot would feel like. I honed out the water stain from the leaking head gasket and sitting for 4 years with a 240 Lisle 3 arm grit glaze breaker and then followed it with 10 seconds of a 240 grit dingle ball hone. I then used solvent to clean the cylinder to no trace on a paper towel and then used a torch to burn/boil out any moisture left in that little pit. Its about 1 inch down in the bore so I know its gonna see some combustion heat. All it was doing was causing a very light amount of white smoke out the exhaust and per California smog laws, It would fail for "noticeable smoke" even if it passed the sniff test for HC, NOx and CO. will report back when I get it back together but I have a feeling its gonna cut my smoke enough to pass. I was down about 15% on compression but I also found the intake seat was not cut properly and was only sealing (?) with about .5mm of contact on one side. I only need it to contain the oil, ie seal up the area where oil could pool past the ring action and burn smoke. It's a beater mini truck project for my 17 year old so its not any classic.

7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It will burn that epoxy off in short order. Epoxy can't withstand the heat of combustion, which may go over 1300 degrees F. You're just adding some contaminants to that cylinder.

Rockabillyhotrodder and BJR like this.
  8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Graphite adhesives & coatings ( a form of epoxy) can withstand up to 5400°f

9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

What’s a “Loach”?

Budget36 likes this.
  10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He is not talking about that kind of epoxy. He said JB.

11. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Personally I would get another block, it is a small block chevy, they made a bunch of them. yes A 283 is not that common anymore but they are not a gen 1 hemi either.

12. leon bee

leon bee

I don't see the Loach up there anymore. Loach= LOH= light observation helicopter. Made by Hughes I think. Often used as bait with gunships on station up above.

Desoto291Hemi and SS327 like this.
  13. Little birds are also used to drop off our guys (Deltas),,,,in bad situations,,,,,,,,, .
    Those little choppers can go almost anywhere,,,,buzz in and be gone ,,,like a hummingbird or something .
    Brave men ride on the side boards,,,,with no regard for what might be coming,,,,,also,,,,Brave men are flying them as well .

Tommy

leon bee likes this.
  14. Rockabillyhotrodder

Rockabillyhotrodder
    from New York

If you take it out to 60 over do think it would clean it up?

15. Rockabillyhotrodder

Rockabillyhotrodder
    from New York

I had a 57 283 I had board to 4” made 302 out of it

16. pishta

pishta
    from Tustin, CA

what about this stuff, wonder if it would stick....Its a fire rated putty but comes in a 4oz syringe so I think its still served up liquid. "Thermeez 7020"
    .[​IMG]

17. pishta

pishta
    from Tustin, CA

Looking at white.papers on a wet lined V12 cylinder temperature study reveals some meaty data. Water cooled cylinder wall temperature rarely exceed 140C or 284F and that's at full load at 2000 rpm. Considering JB is stable to 260C/500F and can live at 600F for 10 minutes, I'm pretty confident that this won't burn on a <284F cylinder wall. Now? Will it separate? Time will tell but if there is nothing under it to gas it off (moisture) I don't see a reason why it would separate off the wall. Just some research data to whip this horse with.

18. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Are you planning to stuff the used pistons into the machined block? You’ll need to check piston to cylinder wall clearance.

19. pishta

pishta
    from Tustin, CA

Its the same piston that came out. Cylinder wasnt machined, only cross hatched to seat new rings then I found the issue, still STD. If all goes to hell, (ie a flake of JB the size of a slice of rice) Ill assume Ill need a new + piston (s) and then an overbore.