Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can anyone recommend a good rattle can primer paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys36, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Good old rattle can lacquer primer that sticks good, fills OK, and sands well is pretty hard to find nowadays. Home center primer , usually Rustoleum, is junk, basically satin enamel that is runny, doesn't fill, and can't be sanded. Duplicolor primer at auto parts store is disappointing, similar to the Rustoleum. I buy some at my auto paint store that is pretty good but costs $25/can!!

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I had good luck with the Duplicolor self etching primer on the rollbar in my Nova, this was quite a few years ago when I bought it at NAPA and it was about $8.00/can, now it is $15.00 there, I do see that Summit has it for $10.00/can.
    Seems a lot of paints have been reformulated as of late (Krylon to name one) so can't vouch for any one paint now, been away from day/day car activity for a bit.

Johnny Gee and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Marcia

Marcia

IMG_20220409_152345088_MP.jpg IMG_20220411_185940510_MP.jpg
    I used Nason hi fill primer. I wanted to fill in the groves in my moon discs for a special look. I just put paint on them

reagen, e1956v and hrm2k like this.
  4. Marcia

Marcia

Everything has been reformulated to be environmentally friendly. Doesn't last like it used to.

dana barlow, indyjps and hrm2k like this.

5. oldolds

oldolds

Look for Upol products at a good auto paint store or online.
    Products - U-POL
    Not cheap. $15 or more a can. Local BMW dealer body shop uses it for spot repairs. I will admit to using it on a whole fender.

rdscotty likes this.
  6. indyjps

indyjps

Agree on UPOL. I use their weld thru primer, bed liner and rock guard. They do have several high build and direct to metal rattle can versions.

Other than that NO rattle can primer for me.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    rdscotty likes this.
  7. I have been using the Duplicolor self etching rattle can primer for years and it seems to do a good job, but I only use it with small projects that will be painted soon.

A steering wheel is small and a rattle can is easier than mixing the paint, spraying the paint and cleaning up the gun. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    dana barlow and 1971BB427 like this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve used Rustoleum and Duplicolor sandable and thought both were good. I like Duplicolor best because I can get 3 colors. The 1956 Purolator dual quad air cleaner looked like an acne face when I bought it and is perfect now done only with rattle can spray primer, color, and $25 a can high solids clear coat from an auto paint supplier. BB5E0B72-BE79-41B1-8C84-0C613644A6E2.jpeg

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Rustoleum has several types of primer.

They have a self etching primer: https://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/primers/self-etching-primer

They have a high build primer: https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...uto/primers/2-in-1-filler-and-sandable-primer

Another: https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/primers/filler-primer-spray

And they have a primer sealer: https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/primers/primer-sealer

I've had good luck using the self-etching primer first over bare metal, the hi build primer over that for block sanding, and the primer sealer over that before applying color.

I see they also have a guide coat primer: https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/primers/guide-coat-primer

Here's a link to the rest of their primer products: https://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/primers

I'm sure you can do better than these, but it will be hard to beat the value, IMO. They all work well when you use them for the right application.

10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Allmotor

Allmotor

12. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Krylon has their act together. Superior to Rustoleum. Have no fear. priced competively, superior coating, looks great.

13. dana barlow likes this.
  14. hotrodjack33 likes this.
  15. ahshoe

ahshoe

Rustoleum takes forever to dry .I am a Krylon guy

Paul B, Bob Lowry and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bondo 720 primer
    Duplicolor auto spray paint
    Rustolium Clear acrylic lacquer
    3M 39009 Machine Polish (hand rubbed) ped2.jpg ped1.jpg ped4.jpg

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks took 2 years to find one. 1956 NASCAR approved one year only. . Dual quad models for every manufacturer. Each slightly different. This one is for the Ford.

Bob Lowry and Marcia like this.
  18. indyjps

indyjps

@HOTRODPRIMER @Tow Truck Tom
    May be onto something. I looked up duplicolor and krylon, they're both owned by sherwin williams. Wonder if it's the same stuff in the can ?

Just a few general comments on spray can primer.

Be sure to look at what kind of paint it is, most rattle cans are laquer or enamel and have pretty aggressive solvents to allow it to be a rattle can. Lot of paint interaction issues even with Same Brand of paint due to incompatible paint types.

If you're using it to spot in work with other automotive primers - it will sand differently and leave waves in your panels - it's softer and will cut faster when blocking creating a low.

19. I'm using Transtar 4603 primer lately. $22 for a big can, but sprays well and dries fast. SEM also makes a good line of primers and are a little bit less expen$ive.

20. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

A bit off topic perhaps but kept a partial reduced quart can of black Variprime handy & after cleaning fasteners & small parts etc. (wire wheel/viniegar etching) would toss them in & retrieve with a magnet tool. They say the primer has a pot life but have not had that issue as a light topcoat helps.

21. Oilguy

Oilguy

Sandblasted, primed with Krylon and painted with Krylon. I have been using it since a teenager (and that is a lot of since) and love it. DSC07003.JPG DSC07895.JPG DSC07399.JPG

dana barlow and Marcia like this.
  22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2 part epoxy primer and paint in spray cans is available.

For cheaper stuff, I've been using Krylon. I think I'll follow some of you guys' recommendations and try the UPOL.

23. oldolds

oldolds

One thing about Upol is to find a seller that moves a fair amount of it. It settles in the can and is hard to shake up and spray. The one place that sell it near me is more expensive than the other. ($5/ can difference) Cheap place was out of it, grabbed a can at the other place and had to fight the tip blocking up.

24. indyjps

indyjps

I oder UPOL online from major sellers, versus buying locally to ensure they're turning inventory, tcp global is one.

Same with seam sealer, been burnt several times buying seam sealer off the shelf, only to find out its junk. Most stores will take it back but I just wasted a lot of time.

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've used the SEM satin black trim paint with great results, though it really is more of a niche paint but can be used on other things.

26. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I find ProForm to be an excellent product.

28. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Has anyone tried that thing that attaches to a recip saw for shaking up rattle cans? Just wondering if it would help...

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

No, but I heard a story about this guy that..............nevermind!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    Dave G in Gansevoort likes this.
  30. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

No X-rated comments!