Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Road Trips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dart4forte, Apr 10, 2022.

1. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

Just wondering if any members here take or have taken road trips. Just wondering if members here would like to share. The weather is getting better and it’s time to see our junk on the open road.

2. Leaving for Jalopyrama the first week of May. About 700 miles. We will vacation in Virginia for a few days after. Then attend the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing Hot Rod Annual the following weekend on the way home.
    Should clock about 2000 miles to kick off my season.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  3. A few years ago before the pandemic struck we took a road trip to Michigan for the '54 Ford Nationals, we saw parts of the country we had never seen and traveled through states we had never been to.

Loaded up and ready to hit the road.
    [​IMG]

Before the week was over we had racked up 2,251 miles on the Ranch Wagon,got to visit 5 different states,avoided 6 deer,a bunch of turkeys,both feathered and none feathered,and a huge ELK in Cherokee,North Carolina.we had a absolute ball. HRP
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  4. I miss my job. All road trip. Can't believe the folks that have not traveled outside the regional area they live in . I am planning one this summer.

Ben

5. squirrel

squirrel

My most recent one was Drag Week last September. 5500 miles...5 days of racing....lots of fun. I've also done a few adventures in various old cars, including an Edsel, a Corvair, LaSalle, Hudson, etc.

PXL_20210916_114422680.jpg Drag_Week_2021_Day_4_10.jpg

6. Lemons planned this year?

Ben

Stogy and guthriesmith like this.
  7. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

Let’s see some YouTube vid of some road cruisin

Stogy likes this.
  8. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

My buddy’s 63 Dart Gasser

Attached Files:

9. Driver50x

Driver50x

Last summer I drove my T-Bucket from Florida to Michigan and back. About 2500 miles. I saw tons of cool sights and historic small town traveling the backroads of this wonderful country. 37AEE46F-E560-4887-B3E7-340C0B769BD9.jpeg 621636E3-64E1-436F-92BD-14A8173E911B.jpeg E4A2E92E-1FB2-4B3E-B5DE-CAD46693831D.jpeg 10DC92EB-15FE-4938-966B-92DE0664C4A7.jpeg

10. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've posted this before..........a short run into Northern Baltimore County in my old coupe. HEadset or ear buds really show off the drive

11. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, in another crappy old car, but it's OT, being British. Picture on my fabulous web page.

12. gene-koning

gene-koning

Wife and I are going to make a 200+ mile round trip this coming Tuesday to, look at another project. We will be taking the coupe.
    Then the week after Easter, we are making a trip to Tulsa OK, 700 miles one way, we are planning on using the coupe.
    May 7th, we are doing a short 100 mile round trip in the coupe, then we are doing the WI Hot Rod 100 on May 21, that will end up between 250 and 300 miles by the time we get home.
    At this point, we are thinking a vacation in S Dakota this summer (purchase of the project car might kill the vacation money). If that happens, its going to be around 2200-2500 mile round trip, in the coupe. Then summer comes!

Not very good at the taking pictures thing, we just get into the cruising and seeing the sights, and I forget to take pictures.
    The last couple of years, we were limited to driving the coupe to around 6,000 miles per year, hard to go places when no place is open. 2018 we did almost 9,000 miles in the coupe. Gene

13. THAT should be fun. Those were prolific in California in the 1950s.
    I will be following.

Ben

guthriesmith, Stogy and squirrel like this.
  14. Drive'em

Drive'em

Ok, here goes, back in 2013 I left SoCal in my 29 Hiboy [see my avatar] for a cross county road trip. Route 66 Calif. & Arizona, Grand Canyon, Brice, Zion on to Darango, rode the narrow guage train, then to Speedy Bill's museum then Goodguys DesMoine, Goodguy's cruise to Columbus, nastalgia drags near Cleveland, Back to my home town Dayton, OH then to St. Rod Nats. in Louisville, back West to Bonneville, then Lake Tahoe and finally PCH through Big Sur then home. 8,500 miles-5 1/2 weeks. My trip of a lifetime. I posted it here until my computer took a dump.

15. jim snow

jim snow

Usually one road trip a year. Last year in was Pigeon Forge. This year it’s a plane trip to Indy for the Custom Car Revival. Probs back to Jalopyrama next year. Snowman ⛄️

16. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Almost all of our road trips have included an event or rod run. We’ve done RT 66 squeezing in NSRA Oklahoma City on the way to the Santa Monica pier. Been through Wyoming,Montana and Yellowstone after a rod run in Rapid City a few years back also.
    Cruising the Coast in Mississippi included a stop in Memphis and heading to Syracuse meant stops in Henry Ford Museum, Cleveland and Niagara Falls all in my 40 and I’ve enjoyed exploring Colorado,Tennessee and North Carolina as well.
    They’re meant to be driven.......:D

guthriesmith, Stogy, MMM1693 and 5 others like this.
  17. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Numerous road trips. Most memorable was our 2002 trip to Bonneville. Just a group of friends primarily running two lanes. We spent almost two weeks on the road making our sandwich lunches at wide spots in the road. We stopped and visited with Bo Huff on that trip. I get just as much enjoyment out of the trip as I do attending the events. I really enjoy the Hot Rod Hundred Reliability Runs.

18. chevrolet50steve

chevrolet50steve

This is what I like to hear,these cars are built to drive,I’m not a sit around and polish my car type,even though I enjoy the shows we drive our cars on long trips over Europe every year apart from the last two.gutted with the restrictions stopping us enjoying what makes us happy.longest we done was just over 2500 miles round trip to Sweden for a show and then back to uk the same week for another 200 mile show.done just about every other European country in various old American vehicles and hot rods.

19. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

We have taken several long trips in both our Deuce roadster and '46 Ford "Woodie". The most memorable was the year I retired and drove the Woodie from Long Island, NY to Encinitas CA for the worlds largest woodie show called Wavecrest. We took the entire month of September, covered 19 states, 6566 miles and the car ran perfectly. Only rain we had for the entire trip was the last three day's from Chicago to Long Island. Literally pulled into the garage and got into our modern car and left for HERSHEY the same day.

Texas57, rod1, guthriesmith and 5 others like this.
  20. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hoping to take a road trip to the Cherokee Rod Run in the next couple of weeks. Only thing that will stop us from going is Dr appointments. In July heading to the Mountain Moonshine Cruise in in Dalton, Ga before making the trip to Louisville the first weekend of August before the return to Fl.

21. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

About a year ago I shipped my early Mustang (barely OT) to San Francisco and came down the PCH to Santa Monica and then RT66 to Joplin MO. And back home to Tennessee. In the next few years I want to complete Joplin to Chicago on 66. It was a blast. Windows down cruising was awesome! This photo is coming down from the Grand Canyon IMG_1786.JPG

22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

LOTS of road trips! I've put approx. 60,000 miles on my roadster in the past 10 years.
    From Omaha, Nebraska to the LSRU in Austin, TX a few times, out to Baltimore, MD for the Rodder's Journal Revival event, out to Bonneville Speed Week a few times, HAMB Drags near Joplin, MO many times, tons of local cruise nights / coffee cruises and numerous other trips less than six hours from Omaha.

68327204_10216542663291317_6884347239888584704_n.jpg

23. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Enjoy Dave! I’ll see you in Louisville.:D

24. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

Cool stuff, keep them coming

guthriesmith likes this.
  25. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Not any more. Did swap meets as close as Iola and Jefferson in WI. and as far as Carlisle PA to the east and Oregon to the west for over 30 years.
    Now it's just Minnesota and a toe dip into South Dakota.
    Seen enough of the country. Hat's off to the road warriors out there.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I first built the 48 in 1973 it was for a 400+ one way trip from McGregor Tx to Tulsa for the 73 Street rod Nationals.
    In 1977 I towed a 16 ft Uhaul trailer with everything we owned in it from McGregor to here in central Wa. That was a crazy trip with the tail wagging the dog for the whole 1931 Miles. I way underestimated the amount of gas I would use on that trip too.
    I don't count the trips we took around the PNW to events that were anywhere between 150 and 250 miles one way as road trips. If you live in the PNW and want to attend a number of cool events you have to drive a ways to get there.
    1981 We had just got the 48 back together with the Camaro Subframe and headed out on a trip back to McGregor to visit the inlaws and hit 4 rod runs in three weekends. The 350 had 36 miles on a fresh rebuild when we left the driveway here. The truck made the trip without an issue even in the heat as 81 was the year that Texas had a serious heat wave going on.
    [​IMG]
    Right after we pulled in in front of the inlaw's house.
    We did have a bit of excitement in Wyoming on the way back, we were doing the cross state two lane roads on the way to Yellowstone and on a stretch we met a fast moving semi and the hood blew up and I got to view the road ahead of us through the louvers. That was the first trip with the freshly louvered hood. We lost a fuel pump when I forgot my gas cap on the pump at Grand Teton national park and picked up sand going over about 50 miles of fresh chip seal. We coasted down the west side of the Rockies to Whitehall where a kid going into the navy sold me the pump he had saved for his 55 Chevy and helped install it. The clutch linkage came loose somewhere along the line and I had to stop on LoLo pass and borrow a floor jack to put it back together.
    In 82 we did a trip to Ogden for the Chevy GMC truckin Nationals with fresh red paint.
    This "take my picture Dad" photo came on that trip and she turns 43 this year.
    [​IMG]

In 1998 I drove the 48 to Bonneville and from Bonneville to Pleasanton and then back to Washington in a large triangle. A Japanese tourist took my photo near the starting line there. We took turns taking each others photos with the other guy's cameras.
    [​IMG]
    That was the last real road trip for the truck. I had a blast and took between 25 and 30 rolls of photos on that trip that took almost six weeks to afford to get developed. Now I shoot more photos at a car event in three or four hours.

27. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hope that we see you there. We are planning on being there if all goes as planned.

28. dart4forte

dart4forte
    from Mesa, AZ

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Haven't taken any long trips in the last year, but before paint and just after I got enough miles on the engine to be broke in I took a 1300 mile trip just to see how my '39 Chev would do. Had a blast, and loved all of the trip. Met a lot of nice people at every rest area, gas stop, or eatery along the way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. das858

das858

We will be taking our traveling road show to Arkansas City Kansas for the battle of Midway drags June 11th . Have been to the HAMB Drags , and the Meltdown and Glory days drags several times. 20190706_090947.jpg