Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A handshake between men

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeremy Unger, Apr 10, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeremy Unger

Jeremy Unger
    from Perris ca

When did selling become such a pain in my hamb? I have an item,you give me something for said item that we agree upon. We shake hands and on our way. No paypal, chime, Google Cash, no fing Bitcoin no payments. I don't want to sit on the phone with a call center for hours
    To be told "nothing they can do" they are not sorry. They live in a s hole and they laugh at or American problems.
    I'm getting left behind but dambit I. Not doing a new Normal. I like our way of life and I'll stay right here. Tip of the hat to you all. And for your information. It's more work to write it out then FYI, but good things aren't easy things

Baron, SS327, alanp561 and 5 others like this.
  2. I grew up in a time that a hand shake and a man's word meant something , unbelievable how many people think a cheque and cash is the same thing ???
    I also hate the fist bumb age !!!

3. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

Selling isn't any better on eBay, craigslist, Marketplace. At least here you can look at a potential buyers history and feedback, and the HAMB doesn't send you a 1099 at the end of the year like the Bay does now.

Baron, alanp561, 2OLD2FAST and 2 others like this.
  4. Nothing is sold until it is paid for in full.
    Anything other than CASH is a negotiable instrument of conveyance to cash.

Jim

Toms Dogs, MO_JUNK, Carter and 3 others like this.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I learned this as a kid of 17, I ?sold? a 1948 Austin A-40 (for 40 bucks), I guess the dirtbag thought that wasn't a good enough deal so he figured he just wouldn't pay for it at all.
    Can't learn that in college!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I recently bought Fenton valve covers from a gentleman in Colorado. When asked how he wanted to be paid, he replied, pay me if you like them. He sent them out and apologized for miss quoting me on shipping. C3B75690-D293-4AD3-8DE4-F17C973C0926.jpeg

Baron, 34 5W Paul, corndog and 21 others like this.
  7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

A Hand Shake is done in person. Most of today's transactions are done electronically via, bank draft, ebay, paypal, etc.
    If you want cash then ask for cash on item pick up and then you can shake hands.
    I don't know why someone would think that an agreed on item and price via the internet is as good as a hand shake. As stated above, "nothing is sold until it's paid for".

8. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I bought this '62 Nova a while ago on a handshake. Saw it advertised on CL, so drove an hour away
    to check it out. Typically I don't bring any money in those situations, but the car was perfect for what
    I was looking for. I told him I would take it, but had no money with me, and I couldn't get back up
    until the next weekend. We shook hands and he said my word was good, as was his. And he ended up
    trailering the Nova to my house, no charge. By the same token, I have sent sold parts out ahead of receiving
    the payment, and never gotten burned. Down deep inside I still want to believe in mankind.
    nova white 4.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    LSGUN, Baron, Thor1 and 33 others like this.
  9. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I promptly sent out the payment including the difference in shipping ($10).

10. Anderson

Anderson

To hell with handshakes unless my hand is shaking a fist full of cash.

If you can’t pay me with PayPal then good luck to you. I’m not going to deal with fake money orders, bounced checks, your check taking a week to clear blah blah blah. Times have changed and they did so PLENTY long enough ago for you to come to terms with it.

That said I might be posting this same complaint years in the future because I will always think crypto currency is a giant steaming pile of horse shit.

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I have bought 30 dollar items on FB and told the people if they would ship to me I would pay for the item, pay shipping too and give them 20 for their time. Lippy

Baron, Bob Lowry and nochop like this.
  12. Buying is fun. Selling sucks. If the part is under $50 I’d almost rather give it to someone who needs it than hassle with scam emails, tire kickers, “will you take $5 for it” packaging, shipping, etc etc…

I buy most parts through eBay because of the buyer protection, which I’ve had to use a couple times.

I have sold one car and bought two on the hamb and they’ve both been good experiences overall.

13. There have been dishonest people almost forever. You take your chances and see how good your people meter is. :)

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple of thoughts. First, years ago I ordered something from Joe's Antique Auto in Uxbridge, MA. He had my credit card on file but apparently his info was for an expired card. He called me for the new expiration date but told me not to worry, "that he had already shipped the order" That's the way business used to be done and it still is with some. And second, I've sold parts here and on the Barn that I've made arrangements to deliver the next time I was in the buyer's neck of the woods. No money exchanged hands and no I wouldn't have sold them to someone else who offered more money before I made the delivery. My word is worth more than any amount of additional money for the parts. Never had a buyer not show up to pick up the parts at the agreed upon meeting place with cash in fist. And I'll continue to do so. I guess if I get burned I'll rethink this but until then my word is my hand shake, so to speak.

Baron, Thor1, SS327 and 6 others like this.
  15. XXL__

XXL__

Get off my lawn.

Dan Hay, MCjim, 2OLD2FAST and 5 others like this.
  16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My 1sr wife ruined my name , charging debt out of sight on forged signature . Well it caused a divorce and a ruined family . I tired to explain to her , I still owed the debt she charged , I could work to pay that back . “ You ruined my name , that’s more important to me than anything money can buy .” I was raised a mans word is his life , your word is shit , you are a piece of shit also .

17. 55blacktie

55blacktie

When have there not been crooks and people who want something for nothing? There are more of them, now, simply because there are more people; and thanks to the internet, there are more ways to take advantage of people.

18. As far as I know - I have never seen this
    said before other than by me …

You Can’t Have A Con Without A Mark.
    Don’t Be A Mark.

I deal with this daily hauling cars.
    Folks call & b!tch about an auto transport
    broker lying to them regarding transport
    timeframe and cost.

Usually about a month has passed and
    their vehicle hasn’t been picked up
    so they start calling around trying to
    find out “ Why “ … ?

You don’t have to be Einstein to know …

4A8F148E-758D-48F6-A77A-F2ED3653E7C7.jpeg

Jim

19. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

I've probably bought enough parts to build a compete car over the years from HAMB and Fordbarn members and not once have I been dudded ...... if anything they have gone out their way to help me. My only gripe is that some members don't/won't have Paypal accounts which is the easiest and safest payment method for both parties, especially in my case with international money exchange.
    Craigslist sales on the other hand have left me stranded before, a well known Californian rodder/Bonneville racer had an A coupe for sale. I contacted him and asked if I could fly over to look at, landed in LA, called him for his address and he refused it unless I paid him a $1000 deposit ..... he thought that this was a scam.
    As I was stuck in LA and the car looked appealing I risked the payment. Finally got to see the car but it would have needed too much work to meet Aussie rego requirements so I passed on the sale. He then refused to return the $1000, lesson learned I guess ...... I'm still really pissed at him though.

Baron, 51504bat and Bob Lowry like this.
  20. I wrongly cancelled a PayPal payment to a Hamb member through an honest mixup(mine) and had a hell of a time trying to right my wrong because of PayPal.
    The seller received a message weeks into it from PayPal saying they had payed him themselves as he was a good seller with history and my bank had refused to pay because there was a dispute involved.
    I went to my bank, told them I had made the mistake and to drop the dispute which took a couple of working days to go through. Luckily I could and did send him a bank statement showing they(PayPal) did indeed take the funds from my account but didn’t let him know which didn’t help at all!
    All worked out in the end and I even offered to send extra to cover the hassle I caused but the experience no doubt left a bitter taste in the sellers mouth ,who had waited patiently for the cards to fall and worst of all for me was the question on my honesty. Another member who I had known for a long time who also knew the seller vouched for me as being honest but still not a good feeling. PayPal didn’t make it easy to right the wrong!
    Back on board with PayPal now as from down here it is the easiest and safest way to purchase goods up to a certain value.
    10 + years with PP prior to this with no problems.
    Never had my word questioned before and it’s not a good feeling.
    All credit to the seller for seeing it through, he is a good man.

Baron and Sandgroper like this.
  21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Cheap is not good, good is not cheap. Can’t remember where I heard that.

Baron, Wanderlust and trulyvintage like this.
  22. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I sell quite a few parts on CL, and it never ceases to amaze me how many people call after I have accepted an
    offer for it and waiting payment, to ask if they can come by with cash or offer more to buy it out from under
    the buyer. The short and sweet answer is always, "NOPE"!! My word is me, and I was taught that in the end,
    that's all you got. Take good care of it.

Baron, Thor1, XXL__ and 2 others like this.
  23. Truckedup

Truckedup

With a cash buyer in a face to face deal, a handshake is not necessary…

nochop and Irish Mike like this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

Maybe I’m not good at reading between the lines, but what happened? Did you commit to buy something and the seller flaked or vice-versa? You mentioned “pain in the HAMB” so did it occur though this site?
    You mentioned “being left on hold”, so I’d assume an electronic transaction of some kind, sorta takes a handshake out of the equation?

Care to fill me (us) in on some details?

25. Get out of my head!!!!

SS327 likes this.
  26. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

But like all quaint sayings , not true in all cases & to be taken for what it is , an old saying !
    I have bought some really useful , valuable items for dirt cheap & the reverse is true as well .

XXL__, nochop and Barrelnose pickup like this.
  27. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

A check IS...as good as cash when it's a man that made out the check..!
    Now at 71 yrs old, I've never given out a check that was bad, I've never, not made out a check and put it in the mail, when I said that I would.
    One check took almost three weeks to get two states over, but that wasn't my doing. And I stayed in contact with the seller until he was happy.

Mike

Thor1 and Bob Lowry like this.
  28. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Ya, & a handshake at the end of a deal is also a sign of good faith, both are happy w/the deal, & a thank you.
    Marcus...

Thor1 and Bob Lowry like this.
  29. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I use my Amex card whenever possible, because they will make it right. PayPal, by the way, does accept Amex for payment.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  30. belair

belair

A handshake is only as good as the man holding out his hand, and quality control has been lacking for quite a while, if you ask me.

olscrounger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.