Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Did you cruise back in the day?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Mar 26, 2022.

1. 62nova

62nova

I'm a tree hugging geek nerd and drive a 65 C10 with a tpi and a 62 Chevy II with 4.56 gears and a big cam. Maybe the young ones just don't want to be associated with someone like you.

2. SS327

SS327

If you drive anything less than a new Prius or Bolt the teachers around here look down on you. It should not be like that, but that is the shit some of them spout out. No kid should be made to feel bad in class in front of other students and friends. Good for you that you are enlightened enough to enjoy older vehicles like I do. Now if we could only teach you to have respect for others you’d be all set. :confused:

Finn Jensen likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The answer is what one of the HS girls I dated told me in 1960… “Why just go there when you can cruise there”.

All the “Low Riders” from the 50-60’s have never stopped..

4. lostmind

lostmind

I cruised and street raced every Friday and Saturday night in the 60's.
    As stated earlier , American Graffiti was about my life.
    We had no " social media" , live contact was is it.
    Guys rarely used phones to contact each other , you just met up at the hangouts.
    We had a loop of drive-in restaurants and " Safe" places to race.
    Once I got married , cruising ended. Occasional street race didn't.
    Glad I survived.
    Thanks for the memories.

SS327 and thehazguy like this.
  5. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Sure did, loved it!! Started on Penn Street downtown Reading, Pa. First went there in my 57' Chevy 2 door hardtop. Paid $162.00 dollars and drove her home. Six banger powerglide. Replaced soon after wit a 64' 327 300 horse, from a Vette, got low on cash, so a three speed and Hurst shifter went in. Fast forward to 71', fresh back from a year in Nam, stationed at Norton AFB, San Bernardino, Calif. Bought a 68 Camaro SS, 350, 4 speed. Even boughr a 37' Chevy Coupe, Cruised E Street in town every chance I got! Later, 72', bought a brand new El Camino, 350, turbo 350, put 4.11 and better exhaust. That turned out to be one of my favorite rides, had her till 86'. Got out of the Air Force Sept, 72. Moved back to Reading, Pa and cruised Penn Street for a lot of years. Miss those days more than I thought!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  6. 62nova

62nova

Thank you so much for your approval! Now if y'all could please teach me respect for others I can feel complete!

MCjim likes this.
  7. SS327

SS327

Listen I’m not going to junk up this thread with a pissing match. So I’ll just concede you are better than me.

8. Jim Hewitt

Jim Hewitt

I remember crusin back in the early 60s. I lived in a small town in Texas with roughly 7500 population. Like so many have said it was like American Graphiti, We would have cars from surrounding small towns come to challenge the local hot rods. We had many flat straight roads around our town and I believe we had quarter mile strips 4 marked off on every one. We also had a local drive in that catered to the younger group. That place was happening every night but on Friday and Saturday you could sit in your car and eventually you would meet every kid you knew and some you didn't. Gas was cheap back then so that wasn't an issue. Everybody would chip in to buy gas. The high school had 450 kids, 9 through 12, so it was a small group crusin. Kids these days have missed out on so much stuff we took for granted back then.

LowKat likes this.
  9. Fairlane3x43

Fairlane3x43
    from Michigan

Yep. Open headers in my 66 Fairlane up and down Telegraph 1976 to mid 80's then the cops got out of hand. Still have the fairlane though.