Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Have you seen my 40 Mercury custom convertible?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by lucas doolin, Mar 16, 2022.

1. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Bought this Mercury from Bernie Mordawski at Mundelein Motors (just north of Chicago in 1971). Channeled, fenders raised, hood sectioned (unchopped). 331 OHV Cadillac with LaSalle floorshift mated to the Mercury torque tube. Appleton spots, Cobalt blue, acetylene smoked dash and garnish moldings. Was told built by Barris in 1956 but you know how that goes. Anyone have any idea of its history? Appreciate any info. Thanks, Lucas

upload_2022-3-16_13-25-34.jpeg

Outback, 54delray, desotot and 23 others like this.
  2. Very cool car !!

you still own it ?
    Thanks for sharing

Stogy likes this.
  3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No I hadn't and I'm glad you shared the pics. Hopefully you can find some background information. You have one Kool ride..

chryslerfan55, Sancho and Stogy like this.
  4. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Yes I do. It's one of those "The little toy dog is covered with dust, But sturdy and staunch he stands; The little toy soldier is red with rust, And his musket molds in his hands." things. But will be out of storage soon.

5. dwollam

dwollam

I like it!

Dave

Stogy likes this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

Never saw it but I really do like it.

Stogy likes this.
  7. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Yes, I still have it. Here's the back story. Was advertised in Cars & Parts. Last year in college got a loan from girlfriend whose parents dies suddenly. After I retrieved the car and had it stashed in a garage, she spent the summer with me. Asked her several times if she wanted to see it. She declined, said it was my thing - which she was good with - but didn't need to see it. Start of second year teaching at the college we received a French professor from France in an exchange program. She learned about the car and kept badgering me to see it. One day we were near the garage and she absolutely insisted I show it to her. Opened the garage and removed the covers and she said, "That's the most beautiful car I've ever seen!" Well, paid off the loan and fifty years later my French wife still loves the car - along with several others acquired since then.

hfh, Outback, Surfcityrocker and 24 others like this.
  8. williebill

williebill

Good story, Lucas, but I'm thinking you left out some of the important parts.
    Did you ask her if she wanted to sit in it? And then what?
    Women who like cars make life much easier for us.

9. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

That car ABSOLUTELY NEEDS TO BE DRIVEN!!! PLEASE!!!

10. I’d drive it.

that’s super cool

reminds me of a valley customs ride

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
    Hot Rods Ta Hell and Stogy like this.
  11. tim troutman

tim troutman

I have only heard stories of such a car but it is good to see pictures

guffey and Stogy like this.
  12. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Appreciate everyone's interest and support. What can I say? Maybe "Life is what happens when you've made other choices." We are actively looking for a storage building in New Albany to replace one in Briona Taylor City across the river. And then it will be driven. Still hoping someone will provide info on its history. Definitely a pro build, circa 1956 in Cali. Thanks guys.

13. So we're looking for pre 1971 history on a Chicago based 1940 Merc convert?
    You need to add Chicago or northern Illinois to thread title to wake up the locals. Hope that helps.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and i.rant like this.
  14. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Yes sir. Will do. Thank you for the suggestion. I believe it had a parking permit from the Lake Geneva Playboy Club.
    [​IMG]
    Owner must have been a playah. Damn! Fuschia is my favorite color. She would have gone well with Cobalt blue Mercury cvt.

15. buick boy

buick boy

You need to join Kustomrama and contact Sondra Kvipt the head of the organization. Finding the history of old Customs is what he loves to do.

Sancho, 51 mercules, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  16. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Buick Boy, thanks for the suggestion. Sondre knows about my avatar Fred Cain 40 Ford coupe. Like the C&W song goes, "Why didn't I think of that?" He'll get the words out for sure. Thanks again.

Sancho and Stogy like this.
  17. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

cool looking car

Stogy likes this.
  18. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Featured thread - WOW! Thanks. At BuickBoy's suggestion, contacted Sondre who has graciously offered to put it in Kustomrama "Lost and Found". Eagerly awaiting any news. Thank you, everyone.

19. SS327

SS327

Alexander brothers were big then in Detroit. In Shelbyville Indiana Bob Metz turned out some high quality kustoms. That car looks like a high quality build. One of the Alexander brothers is still alive I believe I would start with talking to him.

Stogy and anthony myrick like this.
  20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Reminds me of Glen Hooker's '39 Mercury convertible by Valley Custom. Except that car was chopped.

[​IMG]

It's incredible that you still have your Mercury after all these years. It's very distinctive - I've never seen another sectioned Merc with its hood narrowed through the side cove detail like yours. Good luck finding some early history!

upload_2022-3-25_13-41-21.png

Toms Dogs, Outback, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  21. Rand Man

Rand Man

Hard to go wrong with one of those cars. I would like a chopped and padded top.

Stogy likes this.
  22. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Gotgas, you have a very keen eye. My Mercury is more like Jimmy Summers with respect to the way the hood is cut.
    [​IMG]
    One reason it is not chopped may be because it has a very deep channel, way more than just over the frame. That didn't leave a lot of interior room.

hfh, Stogy, 54delray and 4 others like this.
  23. SS327

SS327

How about some interior shots? And under hood while your at it. Please?

Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  24. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Will do a full photo shoot when it comes out of storage - hopefully later this year.

Toms Dogs, hfh, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  25. That is one kool car! Can’t wait to see more pics! :cool:

Stogy and 54delray like this.
  26. Paging Rik (@Rikster) Hoving of "Custom Car Chronicle" fame ...
    and Sondre (@SuperFleye) & Olaf (@Kvipt) Kvipt of "Kustomrama" fame.

Outback, Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  27. Lucas. So we meet again! We've crossed paths a couple of times around L-vill at local events. I recall a car from arouned '60??? here in Lvl. I was only 15 at the time so don't remember a lot about it. I remember enough to be certain it was a 39/40 Ford or Merc and comfortable saying it was a convertible. It sat close to 18th street one block off Algonquin Pkwy. I always thought it belonged to a guy named Donnie Baldwin. One thing I recall very clear is that the bumper braces were filled/molded. I would bet the car was dark blue, maybe black. Wish I could remember more. I have asked a few of my friends but no one knows anything about it. I was the only one that lived in that neighborhood. Tim. I looked a map and he would have likely lived on Vorster, Burwell or Lee st. They have city directories from that time at the main library.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  28. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Hello Tim. Looking forward to seeing you again this season. Pretty sure this car was in the Detroit area late 60s early 70s when I got it.. Although story was a Left Coast build. Definitely pro built. They knew what they were doing. Sondre will put on Kustomrama and I'll do a full photo shoot when it comes home to New Albany.

Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  29. Might be Frank Loyd Wright pointing things out. Lot a pointers in this photo.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    Stogy likes this.
  30. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Very cool car @lucas doolin! A channeled 1939-40 Mercury...and Ford is never wrong! I'm working on the story here now and will do my best to help you spread the word and see what we can come up with. Hopefully some of our Chicago/Illinois contacts are sitting on some info ;)

Outback, Stogy, 54delray and 2 others like this.