Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Re-Pop Side Trim Sources?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Gahrajmahal, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Well, for any great custom, mixing of trim, grilles and lights is often what it’s all about. The challenge in 2022 is the pickins are pretty slim anymore. If you find a side trim that would make your ride unique, where can you come up with a complete set to start your transformation?

So, I thought I’d ask about “new” trim as an option. I’m not talking about that stick on side trim, I’m talking about remanufactured trim available for more popular models that might make a unexpected “custom” application. I’m familiar with Chevy impala and some Ford truck trim that is available. What else is out there I’m not thinking about?

Grilles and complete light assemblies might be of interest to others.

https://www.classicindustries.com/p...5N_qPan9EYsqAVCu-QBoCHwMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2. Squablow

Squablow

There's extremely little reproduced side trim (if you're talking stainless moldings and not just emblems) for 50's cars outside of 55-57 Chevy. I've seen the '55 Belair side spear without the paint divider used on some custom Mercs but that's about it, the other stuff might be hard to adapt to any other car.

3. none. The custom builders like Cole Foster, Foose and others including our own @DRD57 make it out of brass stock and have it plated

4. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

5. squirrel

squirrel

6. I know it is available for the early 60’s C10 trucks only because I bought a full set for my 66 a while back.

7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Ive purchased repop side trim for our 52 Chevy a few years back, the quality was fine. Its a straight 2 piece "spear" that runs from above the front wheel well all the way to the rear quarter panel. Could probably be easily adapted to use on cars w similar profile.

8. 58prostreet

58prostreet

Try Max Merit Auto Parts. They sell Packard stuff, but they also make custom stainless. I used them for my '52 Dodge.

9. Check here on The HAMB for "Chevsotolac". Stan Bieh, 1217 Sioux Street, Bethlehem, Pa. 18015. has loads of original side trim for 1950's cars. He wants to retire, so now is the time. [email protected], 610-866-4828

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  10. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

second vote for Stan.

11. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

Message and pics sent.....thanks for the referals guys.....

12. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Max Gearhead likes this.
  13. as others have stated, outside of Chevy's, not a whole lot is made. Some Ford bits and pieces, but not complete sets.

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If you're looking for a "full custom" side trim, then you can do what the Barris Bros. did. Use 'half oval' steel rod. Bend it to shape, weld studs on the back, and get it chromed. The Kopper Kart, that I duplicated, had it, and I believe so did the Aztec. HPIM0260.jpg

15. That's what I'm planning to use for some custom trim on my '60 Vert. You can also get stainless half-round in various sizes, but that sticks out quite a ways. Haven't found the ovals in stainless unfortunately...

16. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Looking at the Classic Industries website to see if they had a list of all the trims they sell I noticed that in the upper corner was the supplier logo like Dennis Carpenter and Mustang supply. Another I was not familiar with was OER a supplier of lots of automotive stuff and 760 individual listings for original trim moldings. Here is one I found interesting in a “custom” sort of way.
    https://www.oerparts.com/product/k331.html
    4EBB6C7B-A727-4AEF-A277-B78ACF3CAD30.jpeg
    1962 IMPALA fender top spears. Two for $99. No chrome to pay for and no studs to reattach

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022