Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940 Ford standard grille

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olscrounger, Apr 6, 2022.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trying to help a friend who is doing a 40 STD coupe. He is in need of a grille. I guess the run of Drake grilles are sold out. Two places quoted $3000! Same goes for hood/nose pieces, door handles etc.
    If you are gonna do one you better make sure you have the parts. Glad I have enough to do a couple of more.

2. The days of picking up a decent 40 standard grille at the swap meet have long since past, the last 40 standard 40 grille I bought when building my 39 Ford convertible I bought at the Charlotte Swap meet and I got a great deal, it was in beautiful shape and I got it for 300 bucks, that was a good while back and all I had to do was repaint it black, I just don't think the orange would have looked to good. HRP

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^Agree-parts are getting hard to find! Last one I bought was an NOS std grille for $600 a few years back. Found another NOS one a couple of years ago for a friend as well. Also a minty Deluxe grille at same swap meet for $300. Those days are long gone.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I was lucky to get in on the latest run of Drake 40 standard grilles.

5. I bought my grille in 2015 for $600 off of ebay. It was a repop with a drake chin, center piece and upper support included! I thought I was really stepping up for that. It was the most expensive thing I bought besides the tires.

VANDENPLAS and olscrounger like this.
  6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ at least triple that now I think

7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I bought one from Drake when they did their last run after trying to buy one from someone I was told had a “few” but declined to part with one. I looked for a couple of years to no avail before I pulled the trigger on the Drake.I may never need it but knowing I have one if I ever do is like having an ace in the hole.:D

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

Ebay has three 34 Ford grilles. $1500+ $1700+ and $2500+ and they all look worse than the one I want to sell

olscrounger likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

I've collected a few extra grille sides over the years for my coupe project, but haven't sorted the best ones yet. Sounds like I should do it now and put the extras up for sale. I need a nice center though. Maybe I could trade sides for a center?

10. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I bought a brand new chrome std grill from another HAMB member( who now wishes he had kept it I’m sure) a couple of years ,or so , ago. I am not sure if I will make my sedan project a deluxe or std. leaning toward deluxe so I will have the std grill in case something should happen to my coupe grill.

11. low down A

low down A

if i was that guy and you were my friend and i needed a grille and you had two laying around that you weren't using at the time i would have to ask my self just how good of a friend you really are

12. alchemy

alchemy

I can vouch that Olscrounger is a generous person.

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Offered him one--he said he would keep looking--then of none-I will pass one on to him--have given him many parts for his 40 as well.

14. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Good Fella

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Ham065

Ham065

Midwest Early ford says they have them in stock, If out of stock they say in the catalog.
    40 STANDARD GRILLE ASSEMBLY PLAIN
    '40 STD CARS'40-'41 PICKUPS DIE CAST 01A-8206/7-A
    Each