Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Letter From Howard Hughes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 6, 2022.

1. 67BigBlock

67BigBlock

Another great contribution from Ryan. I gotta think the simplest explanation is usually the right one and Alex Sturges, the mechanic is certainly as much a sentimental favorite as Alex Xydias, who was my first thought, is probably the one he was writing. Always interesting history on this site!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  2. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is still a ton of great history/facts/undiscovered elements about Howard Hughes, that continue to amaze!
    Thanks @Ryan for posting and sharing!

lothiandon1940 and tractorguy like this.
  3. WalkerMD

WalkerMD

If it is confirmed to be Alex Xydias, then perhaps he could now interest Elon Musk to take over the challenge.

41 GMC K-18 and '28phonebooth like this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

Outback, WalkerMD and Dedsoto like this.
  5. Paging Steve @gyronaut Tremulis …

6. Fordors

Fordors

BC694F0F-9DA4-4819-851E-14CC1703A6FC.jpeg

Unfortunately he’s moved on long ago.

7. AG F/C

AG F/C

Last night Alex was asked by a dear friend of his about this letter. His reply was basically that the time and place are right and the activity at Hughes was hopping, however he has no memory of this letter or anything else regarding this project. Alex also reminded his friend that he remembers everything, very impressive at 100. Sorry for the news but it would be a great story to hear from Alex if he was the Alex here.
    I don't know if the "friend" is a member on HAMB, but if so he may elaborate further.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's what I hear as well... So, that leaves us with two options:

1. It's another Alex all together. This, obviously, is most likely.

Or

2. It was Alex Xydias and the letter was never sent... Keep in mind that this letter was written right on the verge of Hughes going full recluse. In fact, I don't know that he ever left his room at The Beverly Hills Hotel for more than a year starting sometime around 1952.

Still, highly unlikely... But so much fun to think about.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    Outback, 41 GMC K-18, Dan Hay and 2 others like this.
  9. AG F/C

AG F/C

As you probably know, Alex is great at story telling his life experiences from the beginning, and this would have likely been one of them. Would be great if it could have been an undelivered letter meant for Alex Xydias.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The guy that found this letter is a researcher by profession. He promised me he'd spend some time on Alex Sturges in an effort to connect the dots.

I kind of hope he doesn't find anything. I enjoy the mystery of it...

11. AG F/C

AG F/C

Agree 100%

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  12. The only experience I ever had with Hughes was when in high school I lived within walking distance of Hughes Aircraft plant. We were able to sneak in and pilfer magnesium shavings which were real fun to light on fire then spray with water.

Budget36, Tim_with_a_T and tractorguy like this.
  13. aircap

aircap

Maybe it's my imagination, but I seem to remember reading some story back in the 80's about Mr. Hughes wanting to go into drag racing to explore the engineering problems that were consuming drag racers in the 50's as horsepower and technology were accelerating.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  14. SS327

SS327

It’s no secret Hughes liked hot rods. Look at who was closest to him. The simplest answer is usually the correct one. I don’t know enough about old Fords to tell one from another but he is pictured in a few roadsters that look like they could have been run on the lakes or salt. Maybe if you could figure out when or where the pictures were taken you could get your answers. I don’t know enough about punters to post pictures or I would. Sorry.

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

A fascinating letter from a very fascinating person. Hughes was a God of the air, setting air speed records so it's not far fetched that he would be drawn to land speed type pursuits. Especially when you consider his engineering and aviation background and the "challenge" factor of the whole ordeal. I imagine he'd be ultra motivated if someone told him he couldn't do it.
    I always wondered if ever considered entering the post war auto manufacturing gold rush. he certainly had the industrial engineering and manufacturing game down pat in aircraft as well as the marketing piece from producing films...

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  16. SS327

SS327

I always thought Howard Hughes should have bought Preston Tucker out. He would have got a twofer then, helicopters and automobiles for one low low price. The Tucker 48 was a very advanced car for its time and I believed he would have just made it even more so.

Hot Rods Ta Hell and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  17. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

My dad was W. K. Bill Warrens's private pilot of Warren petroleum. As a pilot back in the day, he had a couple of brushes and passing conversations with Howard. Here is a sterling silver Hughes Tool drill bit, tie tack he gave to my father during one of their flights.

Attached Files:

lippy, Outback, '28phonebooth and 8 others like this.
  18. j hansen

j hansen

19. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Wow.
    @Ryan any more info/connections surface?

20. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Quite possibly the movie "The Aviator" which was released in '04 was still in the minds of the buyers...

21. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Don't know anything about the Alex guy but thought I would throw in my story about HH. My Father Loren (smoky) Lippoldt moved from the farm in Ks, in the late 30's to California with my Mom. When WW2 broke out he couldn't get in the military because he was 4F. Oversize heart and flatfooted. He was 6 foot 5 and 275 and wore a 15 shoe. LOL. He went to work at Douglass aircraft during the war. After the war he worked at Whiteman's air park in Pacoima (sp) California as a line boy. When someone needed their airplane ready to go he would go out on the line and fire it up, (because he was big enough to prop a 600 P&W,) lol and bring them up and fuel them up, wash the windows and have them ready to go. One day they told him to go get an airplane and have it ready to go. He did and and the airplane was running at the pumps and a car rolled up and it was HH and some buddies, he shook Dad's hand and thanked him and away they went. My Dad told me you never knew how long an airplane of Howard Hughes would sit then all of a sudden it would leave and never return. All this talk about HH brought back fond memories of my Dad in aviation. Lippy

y'sguy, Lepus, Squablow and 5 others like this.