Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Are You More a "Builder" or "Driver"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lake_harley, Apr 3, 2022.

?
  1. Mostly enjoy building

73.6%
  2. Mostly enjoy driving

26.4%
  1. bchctybob

bchctybob

I've always liked the building more than the driving, although I have had a few old cars that were a blast to drive and became virtually daily drivers. These days, I build them the way I want 'em and then park them for some reason. The roads around here really suck in an old car with traditional suspension, I guess that's one reason. I do take them into town shopping or to the auto parts store occasionally.
    A while back a friend of mine asked why keep them if you don't drive them? I had to think about that.
    Then it occurred to me that I just like going out to my shop and seeing them there. Just like all of the old speed equipment that I have piled everywhere, hanging from the rafters and cluttering my walls and shelves, it's the atmosphere that I thrive in, that sooths my soul and takes me away from today's BS. It's my peaceful haven. Whether I'm getting dirty and working feverishly on something or just sitting in my chair in between my '33 pickup and my roadster frame reading an old magazine, watching the drags or figuring out how to play a Radney Foster song on my old guitar. It's way less stressful than trying to drive an old car amongst the idiots these days.

2OLD2FAST and Motorwrxs like this.
  2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I am a poor builder, so I don't get to drive very far without stopping to rework, repair, or put it on the back burner.

3. I prefer building to driving.
    Currently 75 and I spent 2000+ hours on my 1929 cabriolet a few years back, took it on one 500 + miles drive, and am currently building a new four banger “Burtz” block motor for it.

My 51, I’ve had 20+ years, but I have both done a lot of the smaller tasks’ work and gotten a lot of help on the heavy stuff. That car can easily be a regular driver, and has made at least a dozen 500 mile trips.

Bigger cars can be physically too much to do it all by myself, but smaller cars like a Model A can be broken down into small pieces that are manageable for one person.

4. I like both equally as much.
    Whichever of the two I am doing, I really try to be in the moment without sounding to silly. When I am building, I try to stay focused and not make any silly mistakes that might cause me to rework something…not to say that doesn’t happen, because it does…it just doesn’t typically happen because of a lack of focus or not being in the moment.
    When driving, it’s the same thing…listening to the sounds of the engine and exhaust, keeping an eye of the gauges, and just the seat of the pants feel of the rod as your cruising down the road.
    They are both equally rewarding and enjoyable.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Doesn't matter what I'm building , always happier building . As I age , my enjoyment of riding has increased , though !

bchctybob and Motorwrxs like this.
  6. atch

atch

HRP & Root; I imagine that at least 90% of the retired folks on here (and everywhere else too) would say the same thing.

7. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

You forgot to add Breaker as a candidate, had a buddy that always found the weak link,
    teased him that he would have been the perfect guy for testing cars on the old Road and Track show.:D

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Should have had a third choice as I had a heck of a time deciding which I liked best!
    I build all my cars, and love the build process. I love it so much I have a little post partum depression when I finish a car, and nothing left to do but enjoy it. But then once I start driving it more and more I'm really happy it's done and I begin to rack up miles.
    I don't just drive my builds to an event, or car function. I like driving them just for the enjoyment it gives me to be in something I built and enjoying the ride. So I'd prefer a 50-50 choice of building and driving.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll let you know.

10. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

I lean toward the build aspect but enjoy the drive. I too dislike do overs. Once the car is done I prefer working on a new project. Only problem is the years are catching up to me. Non the less I'd love to start another project while I still can.

11. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

i have 2 guys in my area that claim to have a hot rod shop. Neither has ever built a car. They buy their cars built by someone else. Car guys. Yeah right.

1971BB427 and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I hunt...I find...I part out or sell as is.
    Every year I get a itch to build one of the cars I find but it passes.
    Have not had a driver in 8 years and don't really miss having one.
    Found and sold 13 project cars in the last 2 years and a few are up and running now.
    I get more satisfaction in that than owning one myself.
    I enjoy reading about builds on here and visiting locals building a ride.
    Probably comes off as weird but I do what I do and in the end that's all that matters.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  13. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I have a friend who was very good at his trade which led to a very prosperous business . He cared for every vehicle he ever owned , over the top clean & detailed . couldn't / wouldn't turn a wrench , struggled with what many of us considered simple . Bought many high end cars that others had completed. Was he a car guy ? Absolutely , was he a mechanic or builder , Oh Hell No !

Tickety Boo and Blues4U like this.
  14. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

being a retired aircraft r&d/exp machinist. we did a lot. like nasa, failure is not an option. i don't stop building/modifying my stuff. there is never an end. but we have a lot of chips and scrap. :D:eek::D
    i don't drive the race car, son does. my body don't like it.

bchctybob likes this.
  15. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I am both. I enjoy a build and figuring everything out. My true passion is going for a ride in something old. I am blessed to live along Route 66. I have been chastised for driving my cars so much. About 10 years back I flat towed my 26’ T to the HAMB Drags behind my 48’ AD truck(200 miles each way). An acquaintance from My town was there and watched me make a pass in my T. He came to me in the pits and commented that I drive my cars too much. I told him to stick around and watch me make a pass in my AD truck(tow vehicle) which I did.

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  16. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the build and all parts of it. The vision, the planning and engineering and the fabrication.

I just wish I had 50 cars out behind the shop, huge shelves of parts and materials and better equipment to speed up the process. I'd build a car or two per year, drive it 1000 miles, sell and start the next one.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  17. gene-koning

gene-koning

I was thinking that I really liked both at first.
    Then I considered the time invested in both ends.
    Driving wins, hands down, especially these days.
    I started out dirt track racing, then it was build, repair, or rebuild very often, and I didn't even drive my dirt track cars! That was something I discovered early, a race car driver I wasn't. Then building was king, but I did have a decent street car that I drove a lot. There were a lot of built high performance street cars I built at that time also.
    After exiting racing because of the cost, I started building high performance street cars, but shifted towards the HAMB era cars.

I would fall in love with a car,(or truck), spend 2-3 years building it, then I would driver it 4 years and lots of miles before something else caught my eye. Then it was build the new ride, get it road worthy, sell the old ride, and drive the new one lots of miles, as it got refined. Then after another 4 years or so, something else would catch my eye, and the process repeated.
    I loved the challenge of the build, the sourcing of the parts, and the actual welding and act of bolting the stuff together, but I really liked driving lots of miles, some with destination, some without destinations. The thrill of putting tens of thousands of miles on something I built was the full story.

The parts I didn't much care for were the normal maintenance, the body work, and dealing with all the little details. If it wasn't a requirement of driving another 8,000 miles this year, there wasn't much interest there for me. That may have been why a different ride caught my attention about every 4-5 years.
    As I grow older, the desire to excerpt the effort required to build has been dropping (the last 3 were suppose to be the final build, but this last one has really been a real drag, not much fun. It may well be the last one). I'm keeping my stuff longer, and have started paying a guy to do a lot of the minor maintenance required.
    Yep, Driver now. Gene

Marcia and guthriesmith like this.
  18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Over the last 46 years I have built many cars for other folks, and only a couple for myself. So, I guess it makes me a builder for the most part. However, I have been making progress on three of my own, that I fully intend to rack up some miles, on at least two of them this year...

bchctybob, 1971BB427 and Blues4U like this.
  19. gconnsr

gconnsr
    from AZ

Package deal

20. JimSibley

JimSibley

I almost feel bad, the love almost leaves when the build is over.

21. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I finally finish I'll know for sure.

osage orange likes this.
  23. HotRod33

HotRod33

I guess I like the building better... I've always had a driver ... I spend more time building them which is what I love to do . I should get out and drive a little more....

bchctybob likes this.
  24. Love Love Love grinding and cutting and fitting old rusty metal together...

Then comes time to pull the old heap out on the highway...it is worse than sitting on pit road waiting to go out and race...the heart is racing...palms all sweaty too...

Driving is for drivers....I honestly don't enjoy driving vehicles on the roadway anymore...I will race at the local oval track at the drop of a pin...there I am at least fairly safe...

Let me cut and fit all day long...as far as driving...I will leave that to someone else...

MikeC

25. hipojoe

hipojoe

I am more of a racer/ driver but to compliment that need, when I or we make changes to my cars and you can see or feel positive changes in speed or times ... Well that is just the sweet spot!!!

26. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Have the talent as a builder, driving one, not so much upload_2022-4-6_8-14-45.jpeg

27. I've been working on the same '29AA since 1974 and its never run under its own power, so I guess I'm still in the "builder" category, but I want to change that to "driver." It just takes time and money, neither of which I've had at the same time. I'm 73 now, so time is running out and I still don't have the money to pick up the pace. If there's a change in status, I'll get back to you folks.

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  28. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I was more of a builder than a driver and now I am just a looker....

29. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

I always end up being the builder. Everyone else's stuff. I'm itching to finally do my own for once. That Hupmobile in the classifieds.........