Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How not to build a hotrod - My '33 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Sparkle, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

The back half of the car is 1933, the front is from a 1934 4-door sedan. The VIN is on the B-pillar so it's titled as a '33.

Attached Files:

2. dwollam

dwollam

I just went back to the start and looked at pictures. The 1st body I saw was indeed a '33 Ply that was full of bullet holes. Then I see the car with a '33 Dodge cowl and dash. Then later on it has a '34 Ply dash. How many cars were used on this build? LOL. Been pretty enjoyable over the years following this!

Dave

3. dwollam

dwollam

My RHD stock '24 Dodge Brothers Roadster has the throttle pedal between the clutch and brake too!

Dave

4. I'm sorry Johnny....but you need to hand in your man card. There is no such thing as bacon being old news...now if you said that you were wrapping those girlie candies in bacon and washing them down with your beverage, I might have been able to overlook your unmanly choice of elixir and wouldn't have reported you to the man code keepers...but with the triple faux pas! You gave me no choice but to register the report!

Perhaps you could defend yourself at the tribunal by claiming a loss of taste and smell as a result of the virus (I'm just spitballing here) or that you accidentally hit yourself with a hammer...trying to help, 'cause I like you...but dissing bacon! Jeez, what were you thinking!

So, as a sidebar...I just noticed that this is my 1000th post...and as such, I thought it should be something important or relevant...happy that it's in your thread...one of my favorite builds. Happy New Year! Now, go put on your skirt.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  5. Ok, Canucks... define 'bacon'. Here in Southern Canada (Washington State) bacon is defined as a thinly sliced piece of pig side, complete with fat, seasoned and smoked. To my knowledge, the Canadien version more resembles a small piece of HAM, suitable for use (along with pineapple) on a pizza. So, having said that ... what'll it be punk, greasy, fatty strips, or mini frisbees? Carry on...

6. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

We Canadians have “normal” bacon, (pig side seasoned and cured; typically smoked). There is also Back bacon which you refer to as Canadian Bacon, which like you said, resembles ham. I am pretty sure that normal bacon outsells back bacon by several magnitudes, but I cant tell you why back bacon gets all the press across the line.

7. Budget36

Budget36

It’s a pizza thing. A
    Large Canadian bacon sounds better than a large ham;)

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  8. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

For the record, my man card was pulled years ago. There was a full ceremony and everything.

Stogy, SS327, the oil soup and 10 others like this.
  9. BJR

BJR

That must have been when you changed your name to Sparkle.:p:D:eek:

SS327, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 6 others like this.
  10. the two ford turds for the Buick was a good trade. what were you thinking?

SS327, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  11. NoSurf

NoSurf

Looking good Billie-Ray.

Stogy, loudbang and chiro like this.
  12. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

Step 990:

Now that the T-birds are out of the way, time to finish up the dash.

Take 4" out of the center and a couplefew inches out of the left side to center the speedo with the driver position. Smash the end pieces with a hammer a bunch of times till it looks kinda ok and fits.

Attached Files:

13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Check the location of the window crank with the door closed. Worked on a Model a with a 54 Ford dash. The crank handle only worked with the door open. It worked out that when the widow was up all the way and when down all the way didn`t interfere with the dash.

loudbang, Stogy, B Bay Barn and 2 others like this.
  14. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

That's a good point, I hadn't actually thought to check that. I think it's good though, I don't have the correct handle around but the other handle clears ok.

chryslerfan55, Tim, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  15. safetythird

safetythird

That strikes me as the kind of interference easily fixed. Especially if you had some sort of....tool you could hit things with.

16. Yep. Why open a window, when you can just as easily open a door for a breeze ?

loudbang likes this.
  17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

They don`t call them suicide doors for nothing.

18. chiro

chiro

Project Binky is awesome. Lol
    Andy

chryslerfan55, DesmoDog and loudbang like this.
  19. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hadn´t checked out this thread in quite a while and had to catch up on the last 10 pages or so, but it´s good to see you are still plucking along on this cool build . I have a 34 Plymouth 2 dr project on the back burner . Procastination must be a Mopar thing, hahaha.Congratulations on the trade, those 61 Buicks are really nice and make great cruisers , little lowering, Cragar´s, done.I sold mine about 10 years ago and still regret it.
    1002409_654218371270379_693959132_n.jpg

20. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I've been trying to sell the Buick to pay for everything else, but it does look pretty good in blue...

21. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sure like that dash. And the top notch work that you do. It gives me some ideas for my 1950 International PU.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  22. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What was the original width of that dash?
    Thanks, Harry.

23. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

About 6-ish inches wider than a '33 Plymouth dash? I never measured it before, I just got to cutting.

loudbang, Tim, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  24. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank You ! I'm just tossing the idea around. I know where there is 3 Metropolitans.....that's the only ones I know of within a 100 miles. Maybe the guy will let me measure them. Thanks again, Harry

25. Any news?

stanlow69 likes this.
  26. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I just spent like 10 minutes typing a story for it, but then I hit the back button on accident. Screw it. I'll tell the story later.

My old wagon, I finally bought it back after 7 or 8 years of searching.

Attached Files:

27. How not to post an update, ha!

28. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

The important information is that I have another distraction to prevent any progress on the coupe. Which is how it should be.

29. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

That's not Carl Sagan's Cosmos on the TV!

30. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Dude!;
    At least you got taste! I forgive you for not posting all of the un-numbered posts, which probably have all the secret pertinent info... :D .
    You *will* be at the Stude Nats in SB this year, right? Right?! :D . Even iffen it's only ~4 days distraction, it'll help add up . :) .
    Marcus...