Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods STALLED PROJECTS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 4, 2022.

1. gene-koning

gene-koning

I was a busy man from early 2018 through Junk 2020, 1 rebuild, and 2 ground up drivers, one of which I sold. Then it was garage clean up time, 20 years worth of cleanup. This is the first winter in the 20 years I've lived here I was able to get 2 vehicles in my oversized 2 car garage.
    It was also the 1st winter I wasn't in the garage every day. The garage clean up project got stalled with the cold winter weather and hasn't restarted yet.
    I still have body work to do on the last project (I hate doing body work), it was suppose to start this spring, but it sure doesn't look like spring around here these days, yet either. We got 5" of snow Sat! Most of its gone now, but it was only 39 degrees today with a 15mph wind.
    Retirement has arrived, and I can drive everything. Stalled probably isn't the correct work, slowed down is probably more accurate, unless nothing more happens this year, then stalled might be right.

2. redo32

redo32

Hey guys! You make me feel better. I thought I was becoming a hoarder. Now I realize my projects are just stalled out. But I really like "I'm making them sit in the corner to teach them a lesson"

3. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Back in ‘80 I dissembled a running driving car that just a few years earlier I completed a three year build on. I went into the project hot and heavy for about two years then it became a chore. I boxed up all the parts, set the body on wheeled cart and put it in storage. 40 years later (yes 40) and many projects later I brought the car into my shop and spent the next five years doing a complete rebuild including having the body chemically stripped and e-coated, all new suspension, and drivetrain. The end result is my avatar, back on the road again!
    It’s never too late to finish an unfinished project.

4. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well maybe. Been helping my SIL with his 66 Mustang. Now that it is at a point where he can carry on . He and his Grandpa are working on the bodywork. I don’t have a clue about bodywork. I’ve gotten back to working on a couple projects that have stalled out . I keep hearing my late friends voice telling me Bro get your Shovelhead back together and on the road . So I’m trying.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been stalled several times in the last 11 years on my '36. My "stalls" have all been due to health and relocation. If my latest back surgery heals like it should, I hope to be back on it in late Summer and finishing it by this time in 2023. I'd like to drive it before I die........

6. indyjps

indyjps

My father and I both have stalled projects. Stalled while we build more garages to have room to work on the projects or get more projects. Maybe we're not car builders at all.....more like construction enthusiast / hoarders.

7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope. I did that once. Took a second car apart and lost interest in the first. Made myself a promise to only do one car at a time after that. If I get stalled while waiting on a painter or something, I might nibble on another project but I try to stay on one until I finish it. Assembled cars take up a heckuva lot less space than a disassembled one. Don't even talk to me about 2 disassembled cars.

8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Stalled, no. Slow, yes!

During 2020, you could say it was stalled. I did very little to it, only things that didn’t cost money and could use stuff I had on hand. I, like a lot of folks, was afraid the powers that be were going to shut down all of us truckers who weren’t hauling food or medicines. I stuck back everything I would have spent on the car and let it sit. In 2021, I decided to start back on it with the idea of making at least one show, which I did do. Since then, I have been working the bugs out little by little. Had some home projects last fall that delayed me a bit, but I still went back to it when I could.

Since paying off my truck last year and retiring in June and only working three days a week, I’ve had more time to spend on it. One more credit card to pay off, then I plan on selling the truck and doing what I want to do all the time.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I understand, @raven
    But consider keeping at least one good project. For when you... believe it or not... begin to feel the desire a ways down the road to have something for your enjoyment.

10. Not stalled just jumping around (A.D.D :)), I took some time here and there just before Xmas to cruise and tinker. Now I started working on the '28 again (as the others are driving as of now).

Just look at my signature below.........

11. Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your wife, I will keep you in my thoughts & prayers.

While you grieve try to stay mentally strong. Danny

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    safetythird, Okie Pete, WB69 and 7 others like this.
  12. goldmountain

goldmountain

I stalled out on my '47 Plymouth back in about 1996 or thereabouts. I came across previous damage that I wasn't aware of and figured that I would need to take it back down to the bare frame and my garage space at the time was more limited, so it has sat gathering dust. Now I have considerably more garage space but until I can finish the current car, I won't get back to it any time soon. I would love to get back on it since I really like driving that car. There is something about driving at night where it gives off this wonderful ambience with the glow of the dash lights and the sex lights on.

13. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Stalled... ??? Depends on how you wish to define it. :D . So, yes, ~20 or so. Which have been sitting quietly, awaiting. They all are pre-trained, well-behaved, don't make a mess, run around, or cause trouble, but look good. Fortunately, I'm not greedy & am willing to share w/those less fortunate that don't have any stalled projects or maybe don't have enough to brag about. I can help you out there... :D .
    Marcus...

Okie Pete, dana barlow, raven and 2 others like this.
  14. norms30a

norms30a

Started on it 30 years ago. Lost interest, now I'm on it again, not too far from paint now. 9 014.JPG

15. brando1956

brando1956

I don't know what sex lights are but I want some.

16. twenty8

twenty8

That's tough to hear. Thoughts are with you. Just keep paddling man, just keep paddling.
    I hope I don't step on toes as that is not my intention, but ask yourself this. Would she have wanted you to sell them? Especially now?

17. VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE

VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE
    from Michigan

Every one of my projects are on stall currently
    53 Studebaker Hardtop - cant find a hood , grille panel and a front bumper
    56 Studebaker truck - my fault
    27 Essex chassis speedster - thats it , just a chassis still
    65 Skylark - cannot find a part these days that someone doesnt believe is 24k gold
    so guess it garage sale time

chevy57dude and Okie Pete like this.
  18. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Stalled only because it needs a carb kit and linkage adjustment.
    Kits on order and will tinker with linkage and then it's good to go.
    272 Y Block - Automatic. Nice old pretty solid 57 short box driver.

Z 57 F100_LI.jpg

PONTNAK123, MO_JUNK, ffr1222k and 7 others like this.
  19. 54reno

54reno

IMG_0081.JPG
    My version of the confused pick up. Still work on it now & then but really need to make time to get it done.

20. Mo rust

Mo rust

I have a lot of what I guess you would call stalled projects. I've got lots of finished cars and don't have the heart to sell any and I'm not in the mood to do any full builds anytime soon if ever, so I've been collecting Model A and 32 parts and I'm stitching bodies together and putting them in epoxy. Right now, I have several of these including a 32 three window, 29 phaeton, 31 roadster w/32 firewall, 31 coupe with sedan doors& 32 firewall & 4 3/4 chop, 31 vicky with 32 header, firewall, dash & cowl vent.
    Right now I have a 31 sedan body almost finished and another 31 coupe close to being ready to sandblast. I have another 31 roadster body at the sandblaster and I hope to have that last coupe ready to drop off when the current roadster body is finished. I've got another 31 coupe and three more roadsters to blast too that I plan to have stitched together and blasted in the coming couple of months. I guess what I'm doing is concentrating on the part of building that I really enjoy(collecting parts & building bodies and fitting them all to 32 chassis) and avoiding the part I don't like (paint, upholstery, wiring etc.) I'm not selling anything but when I retire in a few years that may change. coupe32.jpg coupe31.jpg hoard.jpg

21. maybe..... can't make up my mind on what I want to do. around town, it's fine, on the freeway/highway, it beats me to death. 4" dropped axle, 3" lower posie springs on all four corners. I have a different front end I could put under it, or, buy a different set-up to put under it, or...... I need to do something though.

BigMike

Attached Files:

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Nice looking truck! Get that bad boy up and running!

23. Frank280ZX

Frank280ZX
    from Wageningen
    1. A-D Truckers

Well a friend of mine has 64 projecs and a lifetime of parts.. But his project might be hoarding...
    I have a my Pontiac project that i have had for 7 years at least. Its on and off.. but lately its found a slow pace foreward.

Unknown-4.jpeg Unknown-5.jpeg

24. Frank280ZX

Frank280ZX
    from Wageningen
    1. A-D Truckers

Thats also art on its own just sitting there !

Mo rust likes this.
  25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Well, I have 2 fully functioning, running cars that I am enjoying fully, but I do have further plans for both that I can't seem to get started on, so maybe stalled, but stalled in a good place.

Back in 2014 or so I had a stalled OT project that really was my daily driver for many years, but after getting a company car for daily driving that car just got parked and seldom used. There was really nothing wrong with it, but I lost interest in it, and it just sat. Every once in awhile I would get a wild hair up my butt and I'd go out and air up the tires and charge the battery and fire it up and drive it around, then park it again, and it would sit again and the tires and battery would go flat again. It was a very desirable, highly collectible muscle car, the kind that you see go for big bucks on the tv auto auctions. I've had several since my youth and was very passionate about them for decades, but I lost interest. So I finally got tired of looking at it sitting there and rotting away, and I made the decision to get rid of it and get something I would enjoy, and that was when I got my 30 pickup in a straight ahead swap, even Steven. I probably got the worst of the deal as far as value goes, but in my perception I came out way ahead. I've had more fun with the Model A than I ever had with the muscle car. It gets far more looks, comments and thumbs up, and I've had no regrets.

So, long row to hoe to get to this point, but yeah, kinda stalled but stalled in a good place, and far better than where I was 10 years ago. And I know that eventually I'll get to the modifications/changes I have planned on the 2 running cars I have. But I won't completely down either of them for longer than a few weeks.

26. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stalled but not forgotten. I really just need to get my butt in gear and finish the rewire. But the orchard, weeds, and my wife's cancer follow ups seem to delay things. And now we have house guests coming this weekend for a couple of weeks. 20220405_083626.jpg

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

At 71 I just don't see any reason to spend the money and time. I do enjoy following the Builds that do progress.. If I threw $500.00 and two weeks time at them nothing would really change, and I'd regret not spend the money and time on something else. I've been looking at other peoples cars since 1961, that is what makes me happy.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  28. carbking

carbking

Just three words to the wise to you guys with stalled projects: DO THEM NOW!

The older you get, the slower you get, and the more people that are demanding of your time.

My cars are done (or at least through phase II, would have liked to have done phase III to one of them).

(Phase III was fabricating aluminum body panels for my "street sleeper").

Current project is digitizing carburetor literature for posterity. Will never finish, but have done a lot and will do more.

Jon.

ffr1222k, rod1, chevy57dude and 3 others like this.
  29. 20220320_155836.jpg Pulled this ole man outside but under cover...got a 39 Plymouth that is now on the front burner...this is resting until I can back to it....

30. hipojoe

hipojoe

Garage / Cell mates... Sitting for the last 60 years , Coupe now drives on its own power! Little brother 29 Roadster Pick up with a full BOOGIE Wes Cooper 4 banger waiting patiently for its turn this year!!! IMG_1057[1863].JPG IMG_1121[3336].JPG