Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early FE PCV system

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Apr 5, 2022.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I had been wanting to put a Y block back in my 55 Sunliner but had a rough 65 Galaxie possibly with a rebuild 390 dropped in my lap,if I put it in the 55 I want to make it look like a early FE so I will have to use a early 4 bbl intake with a oil fill tube along with the early valve covers but was there a PCV system that could be used with those parts or would I be stuck with a road draft tube.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  2. egads

egads

3. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Here's another pic of the system. Bad thing was they used to plug up due to lack of maintenance. 20220405_030733.jpg

4. Couldn't have the hardware show on my Mysterion clone so I put the PVC valve under the manifold in a drilled and tapped hole in an intake runner. I have the splash pan that is often missing so should not suck oil. Not a good plan for a daily driver but should work fine for a show car that will have lifetime run time measured in minutes.
    P1010407.JPG

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Kind of similar to the early small blocks and I presume it also came out about the same time 62 or 63.

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

You could drill the rear of the intake and drop the PCV basket in it but an early FE factory intake has the PVC system as shown by @egads ... so doing the basket may be mute.
    On my Lonesome Texan project.I have a 60 HiPo intake with the basket..... while the factory cast iron intake had the system as shown in the factory illustration.

You could also tap a PCV unit into the oil filler tube. as mid 60's corvettes did... clean, trick and hidden ......

I absolutely hate the PCV on the top of a valve cover.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I think I have a couple of those off a pair of 63-64 390s

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am going to do some looking at the local old junkyard and see what I can find,not looking forward to dealing with that heavy intake manifold.

9. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yeah, pretty sure I have couple intakes like that, but the shipping...

egads likes this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

V100 PCV valve is the correct one to screw into a manifold, rear, or front of a carburetor base.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  12. egads

egads

What's a PVC ??o_Oo_O:)

13. Unfortunately, it's also where it works the best along with the oil fill. The early-type PCV such as shown fails to evacuate condensation out of the motor as good as it should, specifically in the valve covers. This promotes sludge formation and can leave you with rusted components. There's a lot of factors that affect this; driving habits, where/how the car is stored, and local air humidity conditions so not everyone will have these issues. The cross-flow design of the valve cover oil fill/PCV eliminates any 'dead spots' to reduce this to a minimum. The small block started out with the early design, but Ford changed it to the valve cover design in '64 when it was obvious they had a sludge problem. The FE followed in '65 except for the aluminum-intake Hipo motors. Those kept the early style until '67, the aluminum intakes disappeared on production cars in '68. I suspect that had more to do with the expense of re-tooling the low-volume aluminum intakes than any love for the early-style PCV system.

It's also critical that the factory baffles are in place. The lifter valley baffle should be there for either system, the early cast iron intakes should also have a secondary baffle attached to the intake near the outlet. If either one is missing, they can suck a lot of oil out at the right RPM.

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

So would a road draft tube be better then the early PCV system,I could try it and if there are issues then put it back in the valve cover but like the look of the early valve covers better.

15. The road draft system has the same issue as the early PCV, lack of ventilation in the valve covers.