Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rambling about the Roadster..

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TexasSpeed, Jul 9, 2020.

1. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

They shared the news today about the Round Up so I figured I’d share the news on here for those that aren’t social media-saavy. My roadster was chosen to be the artwork for the show. The pandemic played out in my favor because in April 2020, the roadster still had the Flathead trans and rear. Then the show got postponed 3 more times and in the middle of all of that, my living situation changed twice, I blew the roadster apart to upgrade just about all of the mechanicals aside from the engine. And now the show seems like it’ll be happening this year, so I better get this thing done. Ha.

3E7A9646-3E47-484B-8E3A-D98BA24D2457.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    Graham08, brEad, El Hueso and 13 others like this.
  2. Cool deal. Hope to see ya. I won't be there tomorrow either, I broke an upper shock mount, haven't had a chance to fix it yet.

TexasSpeed and Stogy like this.
  3. Whoa! That's big time! Congrats man! I'll venmo or cash app you some $$ so you can pick me up a shirt.. I can't go this year.

TexasSpeed and Stogy like this.
  4. How'd I miss these updates here? Looking killer bud

5. 101Scout

101Scout

Super cool roadster, dude. I love what you've done with it. I like the peace of mind aspect with the new components too. Have fun with it!

TexasSpeed likes this.
  6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Love all of this.

This hot rod is the most real, legit, fire-born genuine product of love there is.

This hot rod was brute forced into fucking existence. True to the bone.

Bow to it!

brEad, Baumi, TexasSpeed and 4 others like this.
  7. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Bitchen old roadster and great artwork

TexasSpeed likes this.
  8. Missed this thread but took a coffee break at work to get caught up. Looking good Matt!

TexasSpeed likes this.
  9. 32partsguy

32partsguy
    from DFW,Texas!

This is awesome Matt! Keep at it man, it's all worth it! Dig the car, love the artwork, I'll be looking for ya in Austin!

TexasSpeed likes this.
  10. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Weekend update: I borrowed a “Power Bleeder” from a buddy and re-bled the brakes and clutch, tightened up the steering some and took it for some more test driving. It drives way better than it did before. The clutch engages/disengages perfect now that I bled the slave cylinder better but the brakes still need some attention. I went through and adjusted all the star wheels so I’m not sure if it’s the ‘60’s Chevy truck master cylinder as we had a similar issue on a T-bucket at work using the same MC. I may have to pull it and swap out the cylinders.

0FD586A4-5731-4FD2-839B-4711D9237178.jpeg

And .. unsurprisingly I’m still battling the dreaded death wobble. I have a few threads pulled up right now and I’m reading through all of them to try to figure out what it could be. I figure it couldn’t hurt to throw up a few pictures and maybe some of the more experienced eyes on here can make some guesstimates. I plan on attacking this issue next weekend with my digital angle finder and checking all of the suspension points. And don’t worry - I’ll be sure to put a lock washer on the bolt retaining the pitman arm.

From what I’ve read so far, it may be that I need to raise the bolt on the bottom of the pitman arm some so it’s closer to the arc of the suspension articulation. I also should have 7* of caster in the axle at the kingpin but I’ll double check that anyways.

8F54D506-4E93-483D-897D-18B3B12098B8.jpeg 7B3AD850-1EBC-4AA3-8FAE-B65CA324BC12.jpeg 85044822-E9B8-4E25-B3EE-73D9B52668CC.jpeg 8CD69B4B-7BC4-40EF-B651-B9686CF47A35.jpeg

Another issue I’d really like to address is my Holley 94s love to leak gas down the intake/cylinder into the oil pan. I’m not sure how to address that other than being told to change them out to 97s. That’s not financially feasible for me right now prior to the Round-Up. I’m thinking it may be the power valves? Would just plugging off the power valves resolve this or would it just cause more problems?

Hot rodding sure is fun. Haha.

Attached Files:

11. Anderson

Anderson

While the angle of the draglink may not be ideal, it might give you the bump steer that gets the death wobble going, but it won’t be the actual cause. And if you shorten that pitman arm any more, your turning radius is only going to get worse. I’d try to figure out how to take a degree or two of caster out of it. And if that doesn’t work, put a steering stabilizer on there and forget about it.

what is your fuel pressure set to?

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good progress, have you messed with tire pressure or even swapping the front wheels and tires out? Seen a lot of death wobbles that are tire/wheel issues.

there’s a few threads about carbs leaking down but I’m not sure they are relevant to the specific problem as your not having fuel from the stock gas tank draining threw but having the bowls leak. Might be worth a read either way?

excited to see the regular updates!

Stogy and TexasSpeed like this.
  13. themachine

themachine

Did you happen to put the block off plates on your intake? if you don’t put the heat cross over block off plates your intake temps will boil over the carbs after shutting down

Stogy, TexasSpeed and harpo1313 like this.
  14. SPEC

SPEC

Do you have a fule pressure regulator, 94s need ,1.5 pounds of pressure.

Stogy, RICH B and TexasSpeed like this.
  15. Hot rods rule!

Stogy, Tim and TexasSpeed like this.
  16. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

My wheels hit the wishbones before maxing out on the steering box so I think there’s some room there. Eric Carter had the same issue on his coupe and shortened his and it resolved his bumpsteer issue.

I’ve been told Holley 94s are prone to this. With my fuel pressure regulator, my gauge is showing about 3 PSI.

This is all on my agenda for next weekend. We shall see.

That’s the plan.. maybe just starting a separate thread if I can’t find answers specific to the Holley 94 issues I’m having.

This is news to me. I can’t recall whether my Weiand intake has the water passages or not. Sounds like possibly another small project to get into.

I do. And it’s set to about 3 if I recall right.

I’m trying to get to that point! Haha.

Hitchhiker, dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  17. I added a steering stabilizer and it made a world of difference.
    i have the same issue with my 94s, following along to see what suggestions others may have for them

Stogy likes this.
  18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Hard to see whiteout a side shot but:
    The steering link should form an imaginary line the intersects the wishbone mount on the frame. I would say your steering arm is bent down a touch too much.

Jeep's with 0 or toe out are prone to death wobble. Set the toe at about 1/16" to 1/8". Find an old guy who knows how to do alignment with a string line. It works great!

Stogy likes this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It really is surprising how 3 pounds of tire pressure or a slight toe adjustment can change things drastically.

I had put 35 pounds in some new front tires and the passenger front dribbled so hard at 60
    mph I pulled over to see what I broke. Knocked it down to 33 and it completely went away.

Just Gary, Stogy and Dan Hay like this.
  20. Do bias plys flat spot? That car has been sitting a while.

Anderson and Stogy like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apparently the New generation Coker/ Firestone and varied Brand Bias plys use material that doesn't flat spot...New gen being many, many, years ago...not entirely sure what that year is however...Moriarity has mentioned this change many times in Threads regarding Bias Plys...

Dan Hay likes this.
  22. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Matt!

Try and get that fuel pressure down another lb or so. Leave the PVs in.

I use 2 pressure regulators, the Holley and a mr gasket. Combined they will get down there.

Agree with eric another degree in caster wont hurt.

Is your toe-in about 1/8" ?

Stogy, dana barlow and Tim like this.
  23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Wow, I just found this. Way to go Matt! It is sorta' like updating and old barn find except you're the one who built it & put it in the barn. Good to hear Flat Top Bob mentioned too. This has been a great build way back to Amarillo.

24. royins42

royins42

oh finallyy:)

25. I'm digging it, old time look with some more modern performance upgrades to handle "spirited" driving.

Stogy likes this.
  26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

A little teaser for y’all. I should have a pretty big update at some point before the weekend is over with. We head for Austin Thursday morning so be sure to come up and say hi!

23D7DE54-B60A-4647-99F0-373F238172E3.jpeg

Just Gary, Outback, brEad and 12 others like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah buddy!

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Bump to the top, Matt update everyone who’s not on Instagram will ya ;)

Dan Hay likes this.
  29. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

Glad to see this roadster finally on the road. Good job buddy

30. Yeah what's the hold up? I need updated pronto.