Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help fixing cowl band

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ModelARon, Apr 2, 2022.

1. ModelARon

ModelARon

I am planning to knock some dents out of this cowl band. I am looking for some tips before i attempt this. The cowl band is fragile and i don't want to ruin it. I plan to make a tool that has the curved shape of the trim so i can get inside the back and tap the dents out. I could shape a wood block to match the curve of the trim. Anyone know if this is an original factory part? It is stamped MOTOR PRODUCTS on the back. IMG_5797.jpeg IMG_5798.jpeg IMG_5799.jpeg

Tow Truck Tom and A 2 B like this.
  2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

IMO... sand a piece of oak to match the inner radius ... lay the band onto a bean bag and gently tap the oak with a small hammer... also round all the edges on the oak so you don't add reverse dings... hope it helps...

3. kb cookout

kb cookout

A small carriage head bolt with notch cut in the bolt stem works the best to get near the edges , I'll see if I can find mine and I'll post a pic

Do you have a pic of the lower mounting bolts, that's the best way to tell if is a Org one

later kb

A 2 B likes this.
  4. ModelARon

ModelARon

Great tip with the carriage bolt. Thanks. Here are pictures of the mounting bolts IMG_5804.jpeg IMG_5805.jpeg

A 2 B likes this.

5. ModelARon

ModelARon

thanks for the tips

A 2 B likes this.
  6. a36bonanza

a36bonanza

That's an original part.

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The drip rails on my coupe have the same stamp on it, smaller lettering. The original cowl bands fit much better than the reprise, it’s best to fix the original.

A 2 B likes this.
  8. I used a drill press to fix a piece of stainless once
    Used a pushrod. Chucked the pushrod in the drill and used the the drill to press the dent by pulling down on the handle.
    Had a block if wood on the drill table.
    Using the press meant not having to hammer the dent.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  9. cpldale

cpldale
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Naples, FL

I made 2 tools to fit inside the cowl band and match the contours of the band. With the tools secured in a vice, 20210604_144021.jpg 20210604_143942.jpg 20210604_144021.jpg 20210604_143942.jpg 20210604_144526.jpg I slid the cowl band dents over the tools and gently hammered them out. Some filing, sanding and polishing did the trick. Hope this helps. Good luck. Cpldale

10. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

That's one of the small jobs I have on the back burner. Thanks for all the tips. I especially like the idea of using a press to concentrate the right amount of pressure precisely where needed. I haven't worked straightening stainless for decades now but do remember , patience was key. Good luck Ron, be sure to post a few pics of your results.

11. Be extremely careful when polishing the cowl band. Try to do it by hand rather than using a stand mounted buffing wheel. If you use a stand mounted buffing wheel you could end up wearing the cowl band.

12. SS327

SS327

Light pressure on the buffing wheel is your friend. So is a die grinder with a small fine flap wheel.

A 2 B and Budget36 like this.
  13. ModelARon

ModelARon

Lots of great information to get this fixed thanks for all the help.
    Ron

14. ModelARon

ModelARon

Yes i was thinking the buffing should be done by hand . I might build a wood frame to bolt the cowl band so i can use a small buffing wheel to polish . I don't want to wear the cowl band.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  15. ModelARon

ModelARon

16. Grant Clemens

Grant Clemens
    from Montana

17. Grant Clemens

Grant Clemens
    from Montana

If your body is off of the frame, it's much easier to install that cowl band before you put the body back on the frame. It's pretty hard to put the nuts on those studs that go through the hole in the cowl with the splash aprons and frame in the way.