Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '39 ford coupe with auxiliary pusher fan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by twostickmutt, Apr 1, 2022.

1. twostickmutt

twostickmutt

Been tossing this around in the back of my head about putting an auxiliary pusher fan on my coupe just for parade use. If it did start to run warm throw the switch and kick on the electric fan. It has a SBC in it and running down the road the temp stays great. Not sure on a 95 degree day idling on a parade route somewhere. It has a shroud and a new aluminum radiator. Has anybody ever tried doing this and what was the outcome. Thanks in advance

2. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

My experience with pusher fans is that it blocked good airflow thru the radiator with an otherwise functioning system. FWIW was a waste of time and money when it worked fine to start with.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

X2☝️

twostickmutt likes this.
  4. I have a pusher fan on my 40 with a SBF.

it worked great last summer / fall when I drove it , previous owner said it never over heated .

I need to take a good look and see if I can fit a thin mechanical fan on it as well . It does not give me the warm and fuzzies with just the pusher fan on there .

But , real world experience it works great , but I know it will shit the bed when I least expected it and am 145678999 miles from anywhere!

twostickmutt likes this.

5. @twostickmutt , what happens to your parade car if you let it idle in the driveway for ten minutes? Does it overheat?

da34guy, joel, alanp561 and 1 other person like this.
  6. I put an electric pusher fan in the front of my radiator in my '40 pickup to help it keep cool when sitting there idling. I also have a mechanical fan on the motor. The pusher fan didn't make any difference. I removed it and replaced the waterpumps and put in a 160 deg. thermostat. That worked.

7. footbrake

footbrake

Yes, you must run a thermostat.

twostickmutt likes this.
  8. goldmountain

goldmountain

Just avoid parades.

9. Electric Fans on Hot Rods are a sign the Builder doesn't understand the Job at hand. They are a Lame Crutch for a job done Poorly.

Just Gary likes this.
  10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Let the car idle for 30 min. in your driveway. You may find that it doesn't overheat.
    Hence, fan not needed.

Just Gary likes this.
  11. twostickmutt

twostickmutt

great idea.