Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Removing Bondo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Plumber's torch and a puddy knife, the least messy and easiest way to do it.

Stogy, ClarkH and panhead_pete like this.
  2. mustangsix

mustangsix

I use a heat gun or propane for the really thick stuff. A putty knife will take it off when it softens. Just take care to not set it on fire.

Stogy, ClarkH and panhead_pete like this.
  3. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

I tried all the suggestions on my 55’s heavily bondo’d door. Really didn’t have much luck with angle grinders (stripping discs, sanding discs, flap disc, etc) or the torch method.
    What I found that worked like butter were these on a die grinder. Probably be similar to the contour. The flaps kept the metal cool and stripped it so quick.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
    Stogy and panhead_pete like this.
  4. This was using the plumber's torch

100_6852.jpg Screenshot_20220401-232547_Gallery.jpg

Stogy, -Brent- and ClarkH like this.
  5. Lionheart

Lionheart

A good thick bodied Paint Remover Eats right into the bondo and you can give
    it a second coat to keep it wet. Very little effert with a flat putty scraper will
    scrape the pealing bondo right off the metal and onto a thin piece of cardboard
    and throw it in the garbage can. NO DUST ALL OVER EVERYTHING !!!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

36 grit, or even 80 grit discs will take the bondo off, but they will also take off metal too! And on an older car that's not what I want to do. I use the 4.5" paint stripper pads as they remove paint super fast, but also remove bondo just as fast without harming the metal at all. Here in the US they sell for about $20 for 5 pads, and you could easily do the entire roof of your car with one pad. I've stripped whole cars using just two pads.

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Grinders-Str...cphy=9061081&hvtargid=pla-1277128666929&psc=1

Stogy likes this.
  7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dunno why anyone would have trouble with a torch and scraper. Trying to do too much? About 6 sq inches at a time, literally takes seconds, it'll blister then scrape. Even if it gets a bit on fire, won't be for long, and pat it with your glove of it does. Keep a spritzer bottle of water handy if need be. I've done whole quarter panels in 15 min or less. Thin spots, well you gotta eat a little dust but the heavy shit just wants to fall off. Paint remover? Self abuse. Maybe the old nasty hardware bondo but not good stuff, unless again it's really thin. It looks like theres a thickness issue in the original challenge. Logic, lazy, least mess wins the day.

Stogy, -Brent-, SS327 and 1 other person like this.
  8. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks fellas. In the end I used a couple methods. Wanting to preserve the paint but have it look better I initially used a heat gun and old wood chiesl. I only lightly heated a small area at a time and it was much easier to remove. After probably taking off a little more than I now wanted to I hit it with a DA sander and 120 paper and smoothed out the interfaces between the bondo and roof. After which it got coated in Gibbs. I wont know if that's enough to pass the inspection until we take it down but its definetly much closer. Thanks again.
    248170112_611553229993449_7830077828416529084_n.jpg 277753013_716749289576660_2654398961331580573_n.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  9. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad it worked out for you heat is not muds best friend .

Stogy likes this.
  10. I’d drive it

Stogy likes this.
  11. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cheers and thanks again for the that respirator info. Was glad to be able to do that work safely!

Stogy and anthony myrick like this.
  12. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love that coupe! No, really love that coupe!!!!!!

Curious as to what the relevance of the cosmetic condition of the roof might be for registration purposes. Must be a Japan thing!

Gibbs is great stuff but doesn't fare well in the rain, so reapplication becomes necessary. I think Japan has rain ;)

Chris

Stogy likes this.
  13. finn

finn

A putty knife, preferably a stiff one, and a hammer works better than grinding it away with a stripping wheel. No dust.

I never tried heat, but sounds like judicious use of a propane torch would help. The right putty knife will remove it in sheets if it’s thick enough.

Save the stripping wheel for final cleanup.

14. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cheers Chris. Had a local vehicle imspector have a look at it and he thought it was unlikely to go through as it was. As the inspection centre is nearly 2 hrs away really want to maximise my chances of passing the 1st time.

Yeah it definetly rains here, all good though as I have a 1 gallon jug of Gibbs on its way. :)

Stogy likes this.
  15. Hey, I know that car! Came out of Maryland, right?
    Anyway, 3M Bristle Discs work extremely well for removing paint and filler, plus the bristles do a really good job removing surface rust.

bristle disc.jpeg

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  16. catdad49

catdad49

Now, I know the car. I knew that I'd seen, but couldn't remember where. Gettin' old, I guess!

panhead_pete likes this.
  17. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats the one. Pevious owner was Jay. :)

D-Russ likes this.