Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help With This Fenton Y-Block 2x4 Intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by restorit, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Here is a Fenton Y-Block 2x4 Intake that just came in. I get the 2x4 part but what about those carb adapters? Has anyone seen anything like this? The adapters have been ported to fit the intake so 2 large base Holley's can be mounted. I had thought about a round track application, but they would need to go the other way. I would appreciate any info or thoughts on this setup. Thanks! Y-Block 2x4 Intake (1).jpg Y-Block 2x4 Intake (2).jpg

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Why would you think they are tilted the wrong way for circle track?

Hollywood-East and dana barlow like this.
  3. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

The adapters are mismatched as well. One has both bolt patterns to allow the carb to be mounted with the fuel bowls front to back or side to side. The other only allows the carb to be mounted front to back. The adapters are also bolted to the intake incorrectly. The tilt goes front to back.

Max Gearhead and sunbeam like this.
  4. carbking

carbking

Tapered adapters for marine use have been around a long time.

Why they are mounted as they are on this example? - I have no clue.

Jon.

5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

As "Saltflats" (above) mentioned, they would be for...going around corners ! A lot of LEFT corners ! As in circle track racing. This helps keep the fuel level a little more level so all four jets get fuel.
    You remember, in 8th grade science class, centrifugal force. The centripetal...force try's to throw the fuel toward the outside of the circle. The tapered spacers "try" their best to help counteract that action.

NOT a marine application ! Unless the boat's always...going in a circle.

And yeah, they are mismatched. Different hold down hold locations, and different thicknesses. May just have been a problem attaining two of the exact same spacers.

Mike

6. Pav8427

Pav8427

Side by side dual engine digger??

SS327 likes this.
  7. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

By all appearances that might seem like a logical conclusion to draw. But if that were the case, why dont they still do that today? They dont and hasn't been for over 40 years if they ever did it at all. Plus today, why wouldn't they still do it? Track speeds have doubled since the y-block days and would be more of benefit if that were true. I think someone just cobbled 3 parts together to create the appearance of something unique or special when it's just really 3 pieces put together.

Irish Mike likes this.
  8. TCTND

TCTND

Unless you can determine the vehicle it was installed in you'll never know the reasoning behind it. Maybe the engine had to be leaned over a bit to fit or clear another engine; who knows?

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

My guess would be, the carbs were early holleys before center pivot bowls. But I don't know how you would set the floats!!!!. Now that choke setup is interesting. :D

10. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here’s a link to the test on 2x4 y block manifolds. Maybe something interesting for you.

https://www.eatonbalancing.com/2014/01/17/y-block-ford-dual-quad-testing-on-aluminum-heads-part-ii/

Some of the earlier manifolds were set up to run the teapot Holley, or a (IIRC) WCFB. Using adapters for the more modern bases is common enough. Dad had more than one boat with a tapered adapter since the engine mount/shaft angle was pretty steep. V drives and I/O’s didn’t need them. Also check the ports, the early manifolds had very small ports for the 239/256 y blocks.

As to why they’re like they are, I don’t have a clue.

dana barlow likes this.
  11. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got a cool intake there I think it may be set up for circle track my brother had a marine intake it was flat with side draft carbs.

12. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

As mentioned a by @CNC-Dude , it looks like turning them 90 degrees solve the mystery…

13. 26Troadster

26Troadster

looks to me they are leaning the wrong way for a lefty. we leaned them the other way.