Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Portland Swap Meet What Are You Taking to sell?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Mar 25, 2022.

1. not going to make it this year...

2. Adventure galley

Adventure galley

Im gonna try to get get this 1930 coupe to the expo swap. Not sure on space # yet. Stock banger, channeled 6”, reverse eye rear spring, cowl tank is good, have windshield frame but needs glass. Solid car other than lower doors need patching. It has a title. Asking $9k

F1E86F87-8A79-4C7F-92BE-BF9543328B29.jpeg

Attached Files:

41 GMC K-18 likes this.

3. Are you shittin' me??!!?? That dog's traditional and he's (she's) got a lot of cool patina!! He/she also looks like a good supervisor! Nice looking pooch!

4. dwollam

dwollam

What am I taking? I'm taking this year off! My hip hurts so bad I can barely even sleep, little alone walk the couple hundred miles of both swap meets. Yes, I will deeply miss going.

Dave

41rodderz and Latigo like this.
  5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I was at PIR today, but didn't find anything to buy. I did see one car that I thought was a very fair price at PIR. A 1930 Ford rumble seat coupe with pretty decent blue/black paint, and gray interior. A really clean old ford with asking price of $7500. I asked why so low and seller said the engine was locked up. It was a very stock style build, and if I wasn't out of room here I'd have made him an offer.

Bandit Billy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. Fidget

Fidget

I work for the city of Portland, and I deal with auto theft on a daily basis. January and February of this year 1,830 cars were stolen. Ford trucks are being stolen faster than they can be reported. Trailers are stolen and never found again, gas tanks get drilled from the bottom to drain them, car prowls happen and catalytic converters are stolen in the middle of parking lots in the middle of the day. The city has started quietly cleaning up the camps in the last three weeks, but all they're doing it is just pushing them out of sight. Be careful if you attend and are staying off site.

7. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, the surrounding area is something of a mess. For years we have stayed at the hotel adjacent to the meet and walked in. But anymore that means running a gauntlet of sketchiness. So this year we are staying accross the river in Washington, and will continue to do so.

On a positive note, the mood was extremely upbeat at the Expo center yesterday (set-up day). People were delighted to be back after a long 3-year layoff. The nice weather (which is an anomaly) helped--it's like the Universe knew it owed us something. Admittedly, it seemed like there were a number of empy stalls outside; they may fill this morning, or it may be that it takes a few years to build back up. Still a big meet, however.

I had my best set-up day ever in terms of sales, which probably means I underpriced everything and I'll see it for sale elsewhere today. :D That's OK, I am a motivated seller, especially with the big stuff. My little city lot is overloaded. If I had more room I might have been tempted by this Shoebox down the aisle. Asking $2200, looks to be all there.
    IMG_3507.JPG

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Was at PIR yesterday, wasn’t able to stay for Expo today. It was a good turnout, seen a lot of people with wagons of parts bought. Weather was good with some occasional sunshine, even had some sunburn on my face. That blue A coupe had sold on it, along with a number of other cars. Only bought a few small things. This 40 Tudor looked good, thought the price wasn’t too bad. C0CB20DD-E7B2-47EC-A46B-77D63D74BF01.jpeg 50B25AAF-4CFA-496A-9558-8EF54F12E66C.jpeg

tractorguy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  9. Fidget

Fidget

I really like that 40....actually, I really like both of them!!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I told the owner of the blue '30 Ford it would sell quickly. If I had any room for another car here I'd have bought it and suffered the wrath of my wife for hauling another car home!
    I went to Expo yesterday, and was really irritated at how many spaces were covered when it opened. Expo has always enforced a strict rule about making sure vendors are open when the gates open at 7:00a.m., but some were still covered 2 hrs. later when I went back to see what might be there!
    I did score a few parts I was looking for, and got a beautifully restored '53 Chev steering wheel for my '39 Chev coupe. And the seller had a great price, and took my lower offer gladly. Can't beat a nice restored complete vintage wheel for $100!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Few more PIR photos from Thursday.

Attached Files:

12. that was partially due to the traffic mess getting in. The people next to my booth had to wait almost 2 hours to park. The trick we have been using was going up to Marine Drive and taking that exit and looping around the Expo.

Also apparently made the local news buying parts, lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

41 GMC K-18, Oilguy and caseywheels like this.
  13. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

We went Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Friday was a mess getting in, but once we were in the facility we got parked pretty close to the entry to PIR. The other days we got right in and parked.
    I picked up a bunch of small stuff today...mostly off the cheapy tables. Lol It was great to be back out there.

tractorguy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  14. Oilguy

Oilguy

I believe I know what the Taboo is saying. I live up near Longtown and go down the 30 and take the St. Johns bridge and then Marine Drive which seems to avoid a lot of the crap you normally would have to deal with. Take a drive around the Expo and park in the grass field near the track and jump on a bus. But I get a bit nervous about that bus ride from the race track to the Expo when you have to deal with the 37 degree angle and an overloaded bus on the road going past the swamp. Even had nightmares about that one. I have not been there in a couple of years, not so much due to that pandemic crap but just too old and worn out. Last time there I walked around the track about 2 1/2 times and suffered with soreness for 3 days. Time for a scooter I guess. Or maybe get off my ass and exercise some. But what a kick that gathering can be. Best swap (swamp) meet in the country. If you can't find what you need there, it does not exist. But I am confused about the parking on the south side of the track near the tower. Last time there it was empty and the ticket guy told me I can't park there because they don't "own" it. So I walked a long stinking way to get to the gate from the grassy field.. When I came out I glanced over and the whole lot was full of cars. WTF? But I know I should not complain as I am sure the organizers of this gathering have worked their butts off every year and this has been a real blast I have attended and looked forward to since the mid 70's. Hat's off to you folks!

ClarkH and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The Portland Swap Meet is an institution!

16. F-head

F-head

Been going since 1978 way before they had the track the expo center was the stockyards and a lot of booths were in animal stalls
    Seen a lot of amazing stuff get sold
    Don’t miss them yelling at everybody over the loud speakers though

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I got there both days around 6:15 a.m. and didn't have any issues getting in. Was a bit more cars waiting Friday than there was on Thursday though. So I was just outside the entry road on Friday when I drove up.
    Got my restored '53 Chev steering wheel swapped into my '39 yesterday.
    [​IMG]

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The guy in the space next to me this year "Monte" towed in his trailer and set up on Thursday with me, later that night at the hotel across the freeway he was relived of his Ford F250 and had to scramble to find a vehicle that could manage his 30 foot car hauler. We heard of several others from the crowd, similar stories. Very sad.

Yes it is and I have enjoyed being a part of it! I ran into Duane that runs the Portland Roadster Show at the expo and he said he is not giving up and refuses to let Corona spoil his legacy over the 18 years. So he is planning on at least one more show next year. I told him I was in!

The only issue is the city of portland (sic) is thinking about turning the expo parking lot into a homeless encampment in an effort to get them off the street and out form under the overpasses. The parking lot area once served as a Japanese internment camp during WWII so it has a history of housing and it is owned by the city so they can do with it as they please. If that happens it means no more expo swap meet and no parking for the Roadster Show. Let's hope saner minds prevail.

A ton of fun tho! According to my watch (not a smart watch but I pretend it is to be cool) I walked nearly 10 miles at PIR Thursday and matched that Friday and Saturday at the expo. I packed up the trailer last night and I still have to run over and grab it after 1:00 today but I took a much needed sabbatical this morning.

A fellow HAMBer and golf enthusiast @ClarkH dropped by with an autographed copy of his book yesterday at my stall! His notes said "To Bandit Billy, the most outspoken golfer on the HAMB". Awesome! I started reading it at my booth but were bothered by too many customers wanting to buy shiny bits so I will take up where I left off this afternoon. Nice meeting you Clark! And thank you!
    upload_2022-4-3_11-37-36.png

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ran into an old car buddy at the swap meet this year, hadn't seen him in a while. I asked how his twin boys Amal and Juan are doing and asked if he had any pictures. He said he only carries a picture of one of the boys. I asked why and he replied "once you've seen Juan, you've seen Amal"

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

From what I heard just a week ago the plan to make Expo a homeless center is off. The building now chosen is the Columbia River Correctional at 33rd near Marine Dr. where the "dignity village" is currently. They are supposedly going to install a huge number of tiny homes across the street from the Kliever National Guard Armory. The Oregon Guard is not very happy about their new neighbors, as they already have plenty of them living along 33rd Ave. now.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.

21. Don't quit yer day job, and be prepared for hecklers!

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cripes!:rolleyes:

23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am with you related to the hip aches. Decided local smaller meets were a better idea.

dwollam, Oilguy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While I was waiting in line to hook up my trailer and high tail it Sunday I took a picture of this one. You don't see many Diamond T's and this one looked pretty complete.
    upload_2022-4-5_10-19-59.png
    Ha, I didn't notice till now that I didn't get the last 4 digits of the number. Looks like 3790.

What is that little door for under the passenger door? Not big enough for golf clubs. :cool:

MRW1994, tractorguy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  25. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @Bandit Billy, that Diamond T was on the next aisle over from me. It was right next to @Adventure galley 's channelled coupe (see earlier post). I dig those trucks and checked it out; like you said, looked pretty solid. Sadly, way too much truck for a cramped city dweller like me. My '29 Phone Booth is better sized for my lifestyle.

Always interesting to see each year's trends. Many years, you're lucky to spot one Model A Coupe. This year they were sprouting like mushrooms. Seems like I saw a dozen.
    IMG_3522.JPG

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@ClarkH maybe the old corona flu was a good thing for swap meets. The time off allowed people to gather up better projects, stock pile more parts and not take a swap meet for granted. You never know when you will have another.

27. Even with the all the empty spaces inside the halls, and not the usual amount of foot traffic through them as well. CJ and I still did pretty good on selling. Was able to cover what I bought to fill the space made from selling and still made a little profit.

Will be interesting to see how it goes next year. I can see both it rebounding more or getting smaller. Kind of depends on what the city does.

Bandit Billy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quite a few empty spaces outside as well. It worked to my advantage as my neighbor to the west was a no show, I got to open the escape door on that side of the trailer and the awning on the other side plus drop the gate and sell off of it. It was quite nice!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  29. It was good to be back at the Portland Swap again finally. Weather was great. Sold allot and picked up some stuff I needed & didn’t need. Caught up with some friends and met some new ones! Took the bikes to the track on Wednesday. Set up all our junk on Thursday & hustled all weekend. Good Times!

IMG_7970.jpg IMG_7974.jpg IMG_7976.jpg IMG_7977.jpg IMG_7978.jpg IMG_7979.jpg IMG_7981.jpg IMG_7982.jpg IMG_7985.jpg IMG_7987.jpg IMG_7988.jpg IMG_7996.jpg IMG_7997.jpg IMG_7999.jpg IMG_8001.jpg IMG_8002.jpg

Treasures my Dad & I came home with.
    Untitled.png

Fidget, ClarkH, swifty and 4 others like this.
  30. 41plym

41plym

Smaller crowd but I still sold a bunch. My swap meet booth partner of 40 years passed last July. It was little different with out him but still a great time. RIP big Mike