Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Chevy death trap

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by armymike, Mar 28, 2022.

1. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Yikes!! From the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

Stogy, mad mikey and twenty8 like this.
  2. With all respect and trying to steer clear of the political arena it comes down to being comfortable with a higher level of laws, regulations and inspections in your respective Countries. You folks truly have jump through many more hoops than we do to get a car on the road.

3. Seen it and mostly dodged it too Tman LOL
    Safety is a big factor here in Canada as well
    But can get around it for now .

Stogy and Tman like this.
  4. I wonder what else on this truck has been engineered to this degree?:rolleyes::eek:

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went through a Legit Garage...I truly wanted to know that my ride wasn't a total death trap...

I paid a sizable chunk of change to bring things to the level of a pass...

He did say these old cars no matter what one does are not user friendly in an accident because it is a primitive structure...my seat was not even bolted in...:D...I found that out in my 1st cruise around the block...easy fix done along with several other minor details...

wood remover, VANDENPLAS and hrm2k like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like I said where the heck is the original poster?...is it a 52 gmc frame under it...Hambers are many times a tough crowd but if one seriously wants help the door is open...and many here are well acquainted with chassis basics...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    Budget36, wood remover and mad mikey like this.
  7. Here in Ontario Canada they have eliminated the fee for our license plates , my speculation is yearly safeties coming down the pipe . How else will they rid our roads of older vehicles ??
    Just seems a total shortage on where to get it done .

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know that many of these Threads also have Hambers that have proper understanding of whatever matters chime in to offer advise. Whether it is heeded and considered that is up to those building.

mad mikey likes this.
  9. woodscaper

woodscaper

I'm curious, this is what the PA D.O.T. uses for the definition of scrub line. Is this what everybody else uses, I'm kind of getting the idea it's not?

Attached Files:

mad mikey likes this.
  10. Yup, that chart is the common definition.

woodscaper and mad mikey like this.
  11. Gonna break out the string later

mad mikey likes this.
  12. We do not have a ton of regulations in the street rod category in Pa. But the scrub line is a important one that must be followed. I have checked many scrub lines on Pa. registered street rods, and yes have failed a few during the inspection process. I am not one that thinks there should be lots of rules and laws pertaining to hot rods, but this is a sensible one IMO.

woodscaper, wood remover and Stogy like this.
  13. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

It's quite obvious that the handsome graceful, arches of a dropped axle are somehow lost on the G.M. & other axles if not given special consideration, I have an early Chevy & decided to not use a dropped unit for that very reason.

wood remover and Stogy like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Case in point again calling out to @armymike what is under that Truck of yours...if you don't chime in this Thread is a discussion of what we can see and assume...

mad mikey and wood remover like this.
  15. I really think he is showing his problem with the axle install ,I really cant see somebody foolish enough to drive with the nuts stacked on the tie rods / steering arms . At least not far ...

Stogy likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can post pics sure as shit you can write what's on your mind...anyone know this Hamber?

mad mikey, Budget36 and wood remover like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't give them any ideas...:)

Wanderlust and wood remover like this.
  18. Hasn't been seen since he posted

Stogy likes this.
  19. Wondering if we didn’t frustrate and scare off the OP calling out things. I am assuming maybe he either had someone else do it or just got it together and was somewhat questioning what to do to fix it? But, hard to know. Hopefully, it will get addressed one way or the other.

I know I have broken the scrub line rule a time or two, but was fortunate enough to never have a blowout. I pay more attention now especially putting a 17 year old son in a truck with a dropped axle. His is only a 3” drop with Posies springs in his AD pickup. Scrub line looks good on it.

pprather and Stogy like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1946-47 Ford Pickup Axle.jpg

:rolleyes:...I believe this is the Axle the top being stock 46-47 Ford...they didn't mention the drop but it matches the Chev counterpart at 4" drop to stock and has the I beam shape the Chev doesn't...

@guthriesmith anyone who hung around here since 09 knows we are an excitable bunch...so chime in and let us know what's up...maybe he didn't ever look at the Hamb since 09...dunno...but one has to have a bit of give for the kinder, gentler Hamb as it's often referenced these days...

21. adam401

adam401

Why hasnt he replied? Dude is probably stuck in a ditch after driving and barrel rolling that truck haha. Ahhh terrible I know.

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Adam you have a Thread...:D...maybe he's out in the Wagon picking up a new axle...I think that's a given...

adam401 and wood remover like this.
  23. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

. When you’ve been beaten about the head with it and had it crammed up your a$$, the first thing that comes to mind when someone says jump is “can we do that safely”. Not to start a rant, but touches a sore spot none the less. I’m all right with safety if it’s applied in an intelligent manner, but the government loves this shit cause it’s a “ growth industry “ and employs narrower minded numbskulls that are unemployable otherwise, but guess what, you can be trained to do your job by someone who has never worked in the industry and has no experience what so ever.

Hollywood-East and Tman like this.
  24. I wonder if the OP posted this to mess with us. So many wrongs in one place. So obviously bad, it might be a joke. “let’s throw all those things together and watch the crowd go crazy…”
    People are weird.

INVISIBLEKID, lurker mick and Tman like this.
  25. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well the op has been a member since 2013 and has made 4 post and started 1 thread .
    I have a stalled out project with a extremely dropped Chevy front axle . But the plan was to run 35 Chevy 17” wire wheels.

Stogy and guthriesmith like this.
  26. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

This is the OP first post since Oct 2014, you think he will be back anytime real soon?

Bandit Billy and Tman like this.
  27. twenty8

twenty8

That has little to do with the fact that the engineering practices shown in the OP's pics are flawed. Whether regulated or not, it is unsafe the way it stands. I am sure that, with your experience, you know this.
    Let's not make it a "we do things differently here" thing...:)

Here are our regulations for ground clearance. Not as bad as you make out. The last bit relates to 'scrub lines'.

6.4 GROUND CLEARANCE

6.4.1 Ground clearance must be at least 100mm at any point within 1 metre of an axle, and at any other point must be at least one thirtieth of the distance between the centres of the axles (wheel base), in accordance with Rule 73 of the AVSR. Where the wheelbase is less than 3000mm, the Street Rod should have 100mm minimum ground clearance under its full length; refer to Figure 6.1.

6.4.2 In addition to the requirements of 6.4.1, in the event of a tyre failure no part of the Street Rod other than the wheel rim must be able to come in contact with the road surface.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    pjw32, mad mikey, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  28. Reading is fundamental, I said earlier there were many things that could be changed on that setup, devils advocate if you will. Ya'all still sound like Volvo owners

Stogy likes this.
  29. gene-koning

gene-koning

Hot rod hoodlums' have always been known to disregard safety rules, its a tradition long steeped in our history. You only need to see the names we have attached to some "engineering" marvels to understand the general disconcert for safety rules. When we were young and invincible, we honored those that ignored the rules and called them hero's.

As we age, and have come to realize we don't heal as fast as we used to, and we may have experienced the reasons those "safety rules" were put in place, we tend to have a different outlook on the rules violations. The degree in which we determine the value of those "safety rules" is often connected to the experiences we, or someone we know has had as a result of the violation of those specific safety rules. If the experiences we have had or heard about were bad, we tend to call for the rule enforcement, but if the experience was minor, or not at all, we tend to blow the rule off.

Nothing changed my opinion of the scrub line rule more then sliding down the interstate at 70 mph with a blown tire, riding on the front suspension, with no steering or brake response. Its a long wild ride before it finally stops. I was lucky, I didn't hit anything, but that scrub line thing became a lot more important to me. Your response is on your shoulders. Gene

pjw32, Spoggie, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.
  30. Did you have an E brake on that ride Gene? A good E brake would have stopped that slide

wvenfield and Stan Back like this.