Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical issue with 1958 chevy 283 (I hope she's not worn out)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BDUB77, Mar 24, 2022.

1. jaracer

jaracer

If he had to do that to get it to run, it's the timing chain that jumped. That would account for the low compression and vacuum. Sounds like time to tear into it.

SuperKONR and Wanderlust like this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Only need to pull distributor cap and roll crank shaft by hand forward then back all the while watching the rotor for a delay between the two rotations. Also should be making a knocking sound up front if it did jump.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
  3. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I have checked the condition of motors buy using an air compressor to check for cylinder leaks...Just listen to where the air is leaking from.....Make an air chuck out of an old sparkplug....

4. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I had a 67 Impala with a 283 when I was a kid back in the mid 70s. It couldn't be timed by the marks on the dampener. I was told it probably spun on the rubber mount of the dampener and the original timing marks were no usable. I always timed by ear and that always worked.

5. BDUB77

BDUB77

I told my buddy to right away. It wasn’t thin and didn’t smell like gas surprisingly

ClayMart likes this.
  6. BDUB77

BDUB77

I did this. I’d seemed pretty tight.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

To me a leak down test would be more beneficial that just a compression test.

X-cpe and 427 sleeper like this.