Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jeff, did you have the PW sideplates ? These came from Hamb Member @ Les Moran from Perth, Australia. He gave them to us for the freight cost. Thanks again Les !

Dean Lowe likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Nope, just an A/B center section. It’s going into a vintage race car with a dedion IRS. The builder will source all the missing parts. I’m not at liberty to show any pictures or names.

loudbang, tractorguy and Tman like this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

So, it must have looked like this one ? IMG_6223.JPG IMG_6219.JPG

Hamtown Al, enloe, A Boner and 5 others like this.
  4. Lookin good! Was it mentioned what that paint color actually is? @pgan ?

loudbang likes this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I think it is painted to match his Dragster .

6. alchemy

alchemy

No, not really. That one looks like a Halibrand with a Warren rear cover (they fit just fine). Mine didn’t have ribs going over the top.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Well, I learned something today.

8. alchemy

alchemy

IMG_3228.JPG

Maybe the differences are just the evolution of the part? I have to search on my other computer to see if I have a top pic.

enloe, KKrod and loudbang like this.
  9. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Just to answer a couple of quick questions: Like Halibrand, Pat Warren (Downey Machine Co.) made at least three different size QCs, for midgets through Big Cars. Fortunately Halibrand V8 gears fit my Warren rear. I think Warren also made a 2-speed QC, which are quite rare (I've seen two). If you look way back through this thread, you'll see how sorry my center section was when I got it. It had been broken a number of times, poorly welded, rewelded, then even had some extra "fins" added on the bottom. I cleaned it up as best I could, then Marty (and friends?) rebuilt, and/or replaced, internals, converted it to a live axle, and made it look and work right. Thanks again Marty.
    As for color, that's simple. Yes, it's the same color as the dragster (I was astounded when I found that out from Bill Spalding--I had never seen a color photo of the roadster. Still haven't in fact.). It's called Omaha Orange, and it was a GMC '50s color. But it's been used by everybody since. We called it CalTrans Orange, because they still use it. But my paint mixer told me it goes by several other names these days. PG

chriskopp, Tim, Tim_with_a_T and 3 others like this.
  10. Thanks Pat, I was thinking that was the color but couldn't remember the name!

11. Gofannon

Gofannon

Here you go Pat! I saved this from the HAMB but I've never been able to find the thread to see who originally posted it. This is the pic that Marty used to get your wheelbase dimensions.

upload_2022-3-20_9-14-34.jpeg

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Sunday morning update. Great to see it with all of the running gear installed ! The last shot reminds me when Pat wondered why I went to the trouble of doing the trans crossmember the way I did. Once he sat in the car he realized why. Pat 27.jpg Pat 28.jpg Pat 29.jpg

brEad, Bowtie Coupe, Tman and 19 others like this.
  13. AmishMike

AmishMike

Looks like crossmember leaves room for feet either side of trans. Looking forward to your build of belly pan & attachment. Following closely of great build

enloe likes this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The belly pan is the orange part in the background of the first picture, it fits snuggly to the outside of the frame rails. IMG_2589.JPG IMG_2592.JPG

brEad, Bowtie Coupe, Tman and 10 others like this.
  15. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, I forgot about this one. I saved it to my file. Since it says Ray Brown Automotive on the hood, this is after the White Bros. bought the car. There's no engine in this pic. But I can't figure why it still has the circle track parts: nerfs, and especially shaker grille. I thought they only drag raced it with the flathead V8. That also looks like a Downey-type neighborhood in the mid-'50s, but I can't track down who the White Bros. were or where they were from. Whose trophies? Bill Spalding wrote a whole autobiography and gave me a copy when I interviewed him not long before he died, but it only had one paragraph on the roadster. His brother talked about it in a couple of interviews, somewhat. But there's just not much history on this car, and none after the Spaldings.

Bowtie Coupe, tractorguy and Gofannon like this.
  16. WOW! Looking great! Way to go Pat

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Pat, I seem to think Harold White worked at Ray Brown Automotive.

18. Gofannon

Gofannon

The only other colour pic I know of. Orange wheels in this case. Maybe there were other photos with it in the background?
    upload_2022-3-21_16-57-33.jpeg

brEad, Tim, tractorguy and 1 other person like this.
  19. KKrod

KKrod

PatWarrenModelA.jpg Here is a (and Alchemy's) old Pat Warren Midget center section back in 2002 when I had it. A Halibrand cover fits with no problem. There are no ribs on top of the case. It is just smooth. When I got it it was out of an old midget with a live axle. PatWarrenMidget.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    Tman, tractorguy, enloe and 1 other person like this.
  20. AmishMike

AmishMike

In that second picture I can see black tubing either side of trans going to hoop. Is that mounted to floor pan or welded to frame? Is that enough to support drivers feet, full weight of driver? Obviously, in my street build, considering & love look of belly pan, or do I do it easy with flat plywood floor. Thanks for posting many great builds & helping the unskilled

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That framework bolts to the frame, it also has sheet steel that mounts to the top, with louvers to let the dirt and mud drop through. IMG_7762.JPG

22. AmishMike

AmishMike

^^^ Very slick. Thanks again for teaching on a great build

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

More assembly going on at Pat's place. Pat 30.jpg Pat 31.jpg Pat 32.jpg Pat 33.jpg Pat 34.jpg

brEad, Graham08, tractorguy and 19 others like this.
  24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Can't wait to see it with the steering gear mounted. It is looking close to the original. Spalding 2.jpeg

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

27. What were the torsion bars originally from?

28. Gofannon

Gofannon

Spaldings knew Johnny Hartman. Hartman made torsion bars for Frank Kurtis, so most likely those.

upload_2022-3-29_6-12-37.jpeg

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The bars we used were 1" at the spline, and were used on Midgets. Gary Schroeder figured the sizes off of the corner weights I gave him, excluding the un-sprung weight. They were purchased from PAC who bought the torsion bar business from Gary. As far as the original car, Mike is correct Johnny Hartman supplied the Midget bars. IMG_7055.JPG IMG_7211.JPG

brEad, Dean Lowe, Graham08 and 5 others like this.
  30. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Hartman and the Spaldings collaborated on another Chev 6 lakes/track roadster before this one. Although the rules specified track roadsters had to have production frames, and the Spaldings claimed theirs were Essex, the originals were made by Hartman. Marty did the same on my car, using a large press brake to form the U-channel rails. Then he cut and tapered the fronts, narrowed them side-to-side, and added partial boxing plates (with some holes) all like the original. Masterful work. Although Hartman did the work, the Spalding car was considered the first "Kurtis-type" torsion bar track roadster. I don't know what they had for steering, but I had mine made by Schroeder--very likely the last one made. I won't install it until I have the finished body back on the frame. But that's coming next.
    Cheers,
    PG

KKrod, David Gersic, brEad and 7 others like this.