Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59AB in a deuce frame

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 3wmike, Feb 19, 2022.

1. 3wmike

3wmike

Hi, does any of you know if I can put a 59AB with a 1939 trans in an original deuce frame ?
    If I can, are there any other water pumps or engine mounts I have to use ?
    Thanks
    Michael

2. xix32

xix32

59a in stock `32 frame.JPG
    It fits right in, If you have a stock "K" member with a `32 rear trans mount on the back of your `39 trans. that places the engine right where it belongs. These are motor mounts I made that copy the original `32 V8 mounts, these are stock 59a water pumps. ( I just cut off the side mounts) the two pulleys strattle the front crossmember fine, you just have to lift the engine to slip the fan belt up over the rear flange on the crossmember. Set the crank center 2 & 3/8" below the top of the frame rails when you build the mounts, that's where the engine belongs. Then the Drake offset lower radiator hoses line up O.K.

303racer likes this.
  3. If you do not have a 32 front crossmember with mount holes, you can add mounts to the frame sides and use the water pump mounting ears like this.
    D3430896-0D0D-4361-9EB9-0BC38A901B6F.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shouldn't the question actually read "What waterpumps or front mounts do I need to put a 59AB and 39 box in a 32 frame with the least hassles?"
    Before all is said done the guys will probably show you several different ways to do it, none wrong but some a lot simpler than others.

studebaker46 likes this.

5. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As shown above- use original 32 front mounts and you are good. You will need to notch them for fan belt clearance however. Additionally @AULIZ makes some really nice radiator hoses that save the hassle of fabbing your own.

if you run a 39 style trans it’s also easy, but you need to mount the e-brake handle to the side and also modify the trans tin cover plate that bolts to the wood floorboard

Matt

6. banjorear

banjorear

One thing to also consider is using an early oil pan. A 59AB pan does not have enough of a factory "swoop" in the lower bell portion and the pan will hit the wishbones over bumps. Using an early pan with the correct "swoop" fixes this. The oil pans are interchangeable between early V8's and 59AB's.

x77matt likes this.