Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Looking for a Machinist Tool maker, or a tool supplier

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr.chevrolet, Mar 22, 2022.

1. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

my son-in-law would like to get these insert tools re-conditioned or buy the same new. must be solid carbide or if you have a better option, any suggestions? thank you

Attached Files:

2. Paulz

Paulz

The whole point of carbide insert spade drills is to replace the inserts with new when they're dulled up.
    Try KBC Tool.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Solid carbide?
    I ran a toolroom and we used them a lot but they were HSS, we would send them into town to our tool grinder that had a setup for freshening them up.

4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Check with a large machine shop, near you, if there are any left. The shop I worked at in Tulsa had its own sharping dept and could sharpen carbide!

Bones

Bob Lowry likes this.

5. gatz

gatz

Perhaps they are TIN-coated carbide? If so, the chipped-out areas would be a dull color.
    We used those types of drills often. But the ones we had were HSS.

Google; spade drill inserts

Lots of hits/brands to look at
    eBay has a bunch too. Gotta know what you’re looking for.

6. woodscaper

woodscaper

Googled the part no, several suppliers out there, even one on the auction site.

7. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

That's an Allied T-A series blade. They're available in M4 hss and Cobalt hss. The T-A series is a throw away blade,not made to be sharpened. The blades that are made to be sharpened in an Allied grinding fixture are taller and the T-A inserts won't fit in the fixture. I have the Allied grinding fixture and several sizes of sharpenable blades up to 4" dia. Also have a couple of the T-A holders and blades, so I know for a fact that they can't be sharpened unless a person built a custom fixture to hold them.

Spade drills ARE NOT made for enlarging holes which is what the one in the pic has been used for. The preferred method is to run them blind (no pilot hole) although one that size could handle a pilot hole maybe as large as 1/2", but anything larger would risk destroying the blade as has been done in this case. A carbide insert drill (not a spade) can be used to enlarge an existing hole, but unless the hole is unusually deep it's cheaper to use a boring bar for the amount this tool was cutting.

Allied blades in that size and series are available from Travers Tool. About $60 for M4 and about $80 for Cobalt hss.

8. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

tr_rodder likes this.
  10. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

thank you for all the response. I'll relay the info

11. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

tr_rodder and gimpyshotrods like this.
  12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I would try MSC tool and a screen shot of just one of the pages.
    To set up and grind the used inserts would be time consuming. Being it’s chipped out you have a lot of grinding to do with a Diamond wheel with your profile. So a new insert would be recommended.
    F16D9298-6E76-4CCB-B9D9-AFEC1753CA16.png

tr_rodder and gimpyshotrods like this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  14. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

Thanks for all the help, I'll let you know what happens.