Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Chrysler 301 Poly Pistons Needed! Heeellllp!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46Mopar!, Mar 21, 2022.

1. 46Mopar!

46Mopar!

Needing some help finding some 30 over STD pistons for my 55 Chrysler poly engine. Kanter Auto Parts is no longer able to get them as their source went out of business. I am searching on the web and contacting various places with no luck yet. Anyone have any contacts or possibly places that may have these along with the piston rings? Thanks

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@46Mopar!

Perhaps you have already tried them, but Egge Machine could be a possibility. Replacement pistons for vintage engines is their specialty.

Another thought, although I do not have my spec books at my finger tips just now, but the poly was built in ‘56 as a 331” and may be a viable alternative to pursue since you are dealing with an overbore of the 301 anyway.

In any case, best wishes with your search.

Ray

Egge Machine2 and hrm2k like this.
  3. 46Mopar!

46Mopar!

Thanks for the response! Yes Egge was one of the first places I called and they don’t have them. The 301 and 331 have the same stroke but different bore. 301 is 3.6250 and 331 is 3.8125. I had to sleeve two cylinders for a 3.655 true bore on the 301. I am trying to avoid boring out to the 331 size. I’ll have to check with the machine shop to see if it’s possible and still maintain a decent wall thickness.

4. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

You might try contacting one of the modern piston manufacturers as a source for a "custom" set : if you can provide diameter, pin height(& diameter), & a range for weight , they should be able to come up with a solution for you. As long as you meet those basic specs(also skirt length & flat top or dome design), the motor doesn't really care if they were originally "blanks" for a custom designed farm tractor engine!!

jimmy six and Hnstray like this.

5. George

George

The low decks often can go .125 over with sonic check, but that is 3.75, well under 3.8125. A sonic check would be the final answer, but probably won't.

6. Boring cylinders is usualy cheaper then putting in a sleeve, just get the block sonic checked for thickness. The chances are good the block will take the over bore with ease.

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

The 301 and a dodge 315 have the same bore size The compression height is with in .020 the 301 uses a bigger piston pin but you could bush the rod for the smaller pin. May be a 315 poly piston.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Did you try Hot Heads ? I know that their specialty is Hemi's, but they may have what you need, or know where to find them.

9. 46Mopar!

46Mopar!

Thanks for the response! I am hitting up all and any companies that make custom pistons. No response back yet but I am not giving up!

10. 46Mopar!

46Mopar!

Totally forgot about Hot Heads!! I just inquired by email but will give them a call after work today. Thanks for reminding me on these guys!