Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Y-Block in a Shoebox Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, Mar 21, 2022.

1. So, I am bouncing something around in my head after a family member of the guy who bought my 56 new hit me up about selling it to him last week. He was a co-worker of mine and turned me on to the car in the first place. His uncle had bought it new, his dad bought it from his uncle, then his brother got it when his dad passed away before I bought it. Anyway, I have pretty much always said that I wouldn’t even consider selling the car unless it was to him since it was in his family for the first 55 years of its life.

So, that is what has me thinking about another opportunity in front of me...to buy back a chopped 50 Ford that was my sons before he lost interest. The friend we sold it to has decided not to build it and I can get it back right. One thing I never liked about the car was that it had a 302 Ford in it. I happen to have a couple 312 y-blocks and a 3-speed OD that might be cool in a chopped 50 Ford. Any insight into this swap? Not sure I have personally ever seen a y-block in a shoebox, but assume it has been done.

Here is the car in question just in case anyone is wondering. Wheels didn’t go with it since I kept them and they are on my 56...

Thanks for any help.

7729248C-FE59-4A17-86F0-222E03CD9E1A.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    bchctybob, Tim, mctim64 and 8 others like this.
  2. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I thought only 49s had exterior trunk hinges. Am I wrong?
    (It's alright -- I'm used to it.)

guthriesmith likes this.
  3. Well, I am no expert either, but thought 49’s and 50’s had exterior hinges and 51 changed to hidden.

210superair likes this.
  4. I say do it! @mctim64 rubbed off on me, spent too much time around his Y blocks

mctim64 and guthriesmith like this.

5. The main ingredient you'll need is a rear-sump oil pan. '55-57 T-bird or make your own...

jimmy six, mctim64 and guthriesmith like this.
  6. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I don't know anything about gettin a y block in it, but it looks like a good car.

guthriesmith likes this.
  7. I’ve been saving a rear sump truck pan if I use one in my Mercury.
    My bus had a y block when I bought it.

guthriesmith likes this.
  8. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

You might want to watch "Thunder Road" again. Too bad Robert Mitchum is no longer with us since his first ride in the film was a shoebox powered by a Y-Block with 3 two barrel carbs. If they did it in 1958 you should be able to redo it in 2022.

9. Hmm...you are right. I need to watch that again since I must have missed that detail. :cool:

mctim64 and chevyfordman like this.
  10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

11. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being a y block guy, I think it’s a great idea. You may know all of this, but I’ll throw it out anyway.

If you’ve got a couple 312’s they should have the T-85 R-11 o/d units. All 312’s did originally. I don’t think trucks ever got a 312 (which doesn’t mean you don’t have a truck pan on one, lots of things got swapped around over the years). Bird pans are very shallow in front, with a rear sump. Trucks are deeper in front, but are a rear sump, so the oil pickup tube will work. A guy over on yblocksforever modified a truck pan for a deeper sump and pickup (with a windage tray or scraper), there might be some knowledge in his posts you could use. Truck pans are much easier to come by.

Birds and trucks used a front mount, very similar to a 55-56 Chevy. Trucks used a bellhousing with ears (again like the Chevy), birds used “steady rods” on the side of the block and a conventional trans mount. So those are all options.

I’m guessing the exhaust will be the problem. Truck rams horns won’t clear the side motor mounts used in passenger cars. The birds used a different left side exhaust manifold (tighter) than the pass car, the right sides were the same. The flat top 57 manifolds flow better than the earlier ones.

This link is to Reds Headers for the 55-57 bird. High mount, rear exit. Probably something like this is a shot to clear the steering, if you can work around the clutch linkage.

https://reds-headers.net/index.php?...ducts_id=174&zenid=fmjkvee23t65rr8c7p48a7gcn4

Sounds like a great project

12. Here is the truck pan.
    If that helps any.
    224B1F13-841A-4928-A7C1-5BD8AC4B4664.jpeg

13. cabong

cabong

I love Y-blocks !!! That being said, I think having a "shoebox" with a Y-block is tits !! I have a cousin who is building a '46 Short door. That too deserves a Y-block !!!

bchctybob and guthriesmith like this.
  14. Both of my 312’s are out of full size cars. One is from a 56 Fairlane and the other I just got a few weeks back is from a 57 wagon. So, guessing I don’t have the pan I would need. Anyway, thanks already for all the help guys! My biggest debate is whether I want to let my 56 go. Lots of memories taking the kids on road trips in it... :(

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    bchctybob and 210superair like this.
  15. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I like that 56.

MO_JUNK and guthriesmith like this.
  16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Thunderbirds pan is much shallower in the front than the truck and is about the same on the rear depth. The rear part may go about 1-2” forward than the truck.

17. I’ve wondered that. Thanks.
    Ive got 5 choices for the merc. 283, 272/292, 352 and a 331.
    The possible 6th is a SBF. I have a gen and timing cover with the oil fill tube set up for one.
    Dang decisions

18. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Good luck with your decision Jeff. Your 56’ is a really nice car. I had traders remorse when my 300 went down the road. Thankfully I was able to buy it back.

guthriesmith likes this.
  19. Thanks Sam. The more I consider, the more I think I would regret selling the 56 and would likely be without a driver for a while. Not decided for sure yet...

bchctybob likes this.
  20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That coupe is sharp, but I like your 56 more. If you go with the coupe, it’s going to be a while before your riding it around. Your call....

34 5W Paul and guthriesmith like this.
  21. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Jeff, yesterday at the Hot Rod Reunion at MoKan, a swap meet vendor had a pair of aluminum finned Thunderbird valve covers and valley cover. I didn’t check the price but they were cool .

guthriesmith likes this.
  22. belair

belair

Isn't that a sedan? It has a nice chop, but - if you can only have one of the two, pick the one you love (and don't have to figure out an engine swap :) ).

210superair and guthriesmith like this.
  23. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

01CE9013-5D34-4E51-AE3A-114F2D76C0A9.jpeg Bird pan

same nominal 5 qt. capacity. Some heavy truck pans were deeper. 6-7 quarts, I don’t know. But might be easier to section the front and keep the deeper sump for capacity.

mctim64, jimmy six and guthriesmith like this.
  24. Yes, it’s a sedan that has a nice chop. Pretty sure I am talking myself into sticking with what I have at least for now. When I am honest with myself, I have very little time or money to build something right now. My 56 just needs a few things and I have more than 10 years of memories with the kids growing up in it all the way from the road trip with my 6 year old boys to St. Louis to get it to taking my daughter to the hospital to have my first grandchild late last year.

It does seem that this thread has become a good resource for what all is needed to put a y-block in a shoebox. Thanks for the input everyone!

25. Tough decision...
    I understand the memories with your '56 (I really like that car, by the way), but I understand him wanting to get his family car back. Also, how cool would to be to have your son's car back? How would you come out $$$wise?
    Good luck!

bchctybob and guthriesmith like this.
  26. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I like the 56 better honestly Jeff. And it's done.

27. sorry to hijack this thread but with so much talk about Y block oil pans I just have to ask. I have a truck pan on a 292 that will go into my Model A but do not have a dipstick, I made a dipstick but need to mark it. My first thought was to just fill with 5 qts and see how far it comes up on the stick and mark it. BUT I don't know if the truck pan takes more than 5 qts to fill it. So does anyone know how far below the block (where the oil pan mounts) the oil level should be?
    Once again sorry for the hijack-

guthriesmith likes this.
  28. This is the dilemma and what has me considering at all in the first place. As far as money, not sure really. I got a good deal on my 56 when I bought it so tough to ask what it may even really be worth when it is going back where it came from. Anyway, seems you understand the problem... I just need to talk the guy wanting the 56 and see what his real motivation is. He has been working on a really nice 30 or 31 Model A coupe hot rod with a 57 Pontiac 347 with 3x2, on deuce rails, etc. However, he had decided it is more project than he really wants. He actually offered me a trade on the A coupe, but I know it is more of a project than I need right now too. Decisions, decisions... :(

'28phonebooth and bchctybob like this.
  29. v8flat44

v8flat44

All I can say is; Y not. It will be reallY cool.

guthriesmith likes this.