Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Model A project from 2015

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brian Lacovitch, Mar 18, 2022.

1. Brian Lacovitch

Brian Lacovitch

I bought a used Mustang driveshaft and shortened it to fit. I was taught how to do this from an old man, and I did it when I installed a Desoto hemi in a 1994 Dakota. That truck was fast and didn't have any vibrations! I never knew there was rubber inside the tube either.

Attached Files:

2. Brian Lacovitch

Brian Lacovitch

When I bought the chassis, it had a 1957 9-inch rear already set up but wasn't gone through. I stripped it down and rebuilt it with 3.73 gears. It is the stock width.

Attached Files:

Budget36 likes this.
  3. Brian Lacovitch

Brian Lacovitch

Front axle, cleaning painting and installing. It is a Super Bell dropped axle a mono-leaf and 4-bar suspension.

Attached Files:

Budget36 likes this.
  4. Brian Lacovitch

Brian Lacovitch

I made a custom trans crossmember, motor mount brackets, and a throttle bracket. The rest of the pics. is painting a lot of stuff.

Attached Files:

5. Brian Lacovitch

Brian Lacovitch

The next set is my friend Bob (the skinny one) and me working on the fire wall.

Attached Files:

6. Brian Lacovitch

Brian Lacovitch

I went to a street rod show in York Pa. and bought a lot of stuff. I went to an auction and bought the correct headlight bar, painted the scuff plates, made my own battery cables and bought new running boards. I bought 1930 boards but turns out I needed the 31 style to fit.

Attached Files:

7. 2Blue2

2Blue2

Good progress and fun to see
    Keep after it.

8. Brian Lacovitch

Brian Lacovitch

The radiator shell that came with the car was in poor shape and I bought a good used one that wasn't cracked. I restored it and I think it came out great. I have never polished stainless before but watched some you-tube videos and gave it a try. the pictures don't do it justice.

Attached Files:

adam401 likes this.
  9. Brian Lacovitch

Brian Lacovitch

Ok, the next set is shots of the pedals installed, the steering column and wheel, insulating the fire wall and trying out that cup holder!

Attached Files:

10. Brian Lacovitch

Brian Lacovitch

Getting the frame ready for paint. The rubber grommets you see is for the wiring and battery cables were routed through the frame. Disregard the wheels as I didn't use those. I cut out the center crossmember so I could get the engine and trans as high as I could for ground clearance. I plated it back up at the top and got new body to frame blocks.

Attached Files:

11. Brian Lacovitch

Brian Lacovitch

After I painted the frame, I installed the rear. These pics. some the details of the e-brake cales and routing of the brake lines and rear hose.

Attached Files:

12. Brian Lacovitch

Brian Lacovitch

So, the front-end is in, all the brake lines and hoses are installed, the drivetrain went in and were almost ready for the body.

Attached Files:

13. Brian Lacovitch

Brian Lacovitch

I kind of jumped ahead here as I have already installed the gas tank, windshield, radiator, headlights and bar, and front bumper. The pile of parts that was stacked behind it are slowly disappearing. coming together.JPG 1930 Ford Coupe.jpg

Hotrodderman likes this.
  14. Brian Lacovitch

Brian Lacovitch

I would love to shorten those rear fenders. I think the term is bobbing? I don't have the heart to destroy fenders this nice. It didn't look so bad after I raised the mounting of the rear bumper higher then stock. The original bumper brackets wouldn't bolt up to that frame anyway. The last picture is not my car but I like the look of the front bumper on the rear.

Attached Files:

15. Brian Lacovitch

Brian Lacovitch

I have some pictures of the first time the car was outside in 5 years, but I won't show them because I had the Bullitt wheels on it. I didn't know that it just about impossible to steer it, the radius was way too wide. Ok so I have 2 pictures of the car about 90% complete. The interior isn't done, and I'd like to find a used front bumper for the rear. The last 2 pictures have American Racing slotted wheels on it, red car 2.jpg done for now.jpg and I like them. If this build offends anybody, I'm sorry but I thought this project was very similar to others posted on here. I don't do body work and this paint job isn't perfect but if it was, I'd be afraid to drive it. Than's for reading all this!!

16. Cool build
    Thks for taking us along

17. Looks good, nice build.

When I had my A, we were at the Kalamazoo event. My friend wanted to buy a new stainless front bumper for his A Roadster, but didn't know how he would get it home, as the car is very small.
    I bought his old bumper. We removed it in the fairgrounds parking lot and installed on the rear of my Vicky. He installed the new front bumper on his Roadster
    We were both happy driving home.

18. Brian Lacovitch

Brian Lacovitch

Cool story, but I'm not that lucky. Since covid hit not too many swap meets have been open around here to find something like that. I'll find something, just need patience.....

pprather likes this.
  19. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks pretty dang good to me !! i started a 30 coupe build labor day weekend 2015. as of today i have 28 miles racked up doing shakedown runs.

pprather likes this.
  20. adam401

adam401

Looks great. I like the Ansen type wheels on your car with the fenders.

21. Brian Lacovitch

Brian Lacovitch

Thank's for all the positive comments!

22. I was hoping you were not going with those fancy wheels i saw in a few of the posts. The aluminum slot wheels look right on that model A. Nice looking car.

23. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I'm using the same seat in my Model A, a lot of people think that seat will only fold forward. Pull up on the handle real hard and the back of the seat will lay all the way down. Might give you a little more room.

24. HotRod33

HotRod33

The 3.73 rear end with the 5 speed should real move your coupe around pretty well.... Nice car..