Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What would you do - 1948 Chrysler

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by SuperKONR, Mar 20, 2022.

1. SuperKONR

SuperKONR

I have a 48 Chrysler Windsor 4 door sedan that I saved out of a wrecking yard. They are goofy looking cars. I've tried to sell it and look for a coupe, but nobody wants it for cheap, so I guess I'm keeping it. Looking for ideas on what to do with it. I really want a coupe, has anyone ever done a 5 or even 3 window coupe conversion on one of these without any donor panels? Anyone built any kind of a custom that started as one of these things?

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In case it hasn’t dawned on you yet, you have one of those “ not another one here today “ type cars. You didn’t mention interior or condition of paint. Get it running, drive it and enjoy the center of attention .

3. greybeard360

greybeard360

Those screem gangsta car..... or a celebrity car. Which I guess could be the same thing... LOL

4. chop&drop

chop&drop

Big block, automatic, A/C = cruiser.

scotty t likes this.

5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Define cheap. If it isn't selling it isn't cheap.

6. junkman8888

junkman8888

Make it into a taxi like you see in the old movies. Four-door fun.

Cosmo49 and X38 like this.
  7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Do a little digging and search for Tex Smith's Chrysler four door project. I think he called it the Walter P. We had a '48 Imperial with jump seats when I was a kid. Could carry more people than a mini van!

8. harleyddad

harleyddad

Sounds like "Brutus", a Georgia 48 Chrysler with a 454 driveline, you would see it car shows and cruise-ins full of happy riders.

9. "What would you do?"..
    Seems they had pretty cool instrumentation, and steering wheel..I'd keep those and anything else salvageable, and have the rest hauled off for scrap (it has to be heavy).
    There comes a time when your effort/time/expertise, is better directed elsewhere.
    You did ask.

10. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Kinda hard to vision... I don't see anything

49ratfink, Texas57 and squirrel like this.
  11. They are cool cars !

lowered and nice paint , clean interior and cruise !!

post a pic of what your starting with .

4doorsmeansmorewhores !!

'28phonebooth and hrm2k like this.
  12. adam401

adam401

If its a decent car id just get it to run steer and stop and drive it around. It isnt hot rod material but old stockers are cool. Load it full of people, tie your Christmas tree to the roof, that sort of thing.
    If its a basket case id sell it which sounds like youve tried, or part it out. Ive done a couple sedan to coupe conversions on different vehicles and its not something you wanna take on unless you really are into the car.

13. low down A

low down A

you could do as advised here and put tens of thousands of dollars in it and it still wouldn't be worth anything, and i'm a chrysler man just the right chrysler though

X38 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

Keep it as a four door. Those are really classy cars.

Steve Ray and VANDENPLAS like this.
  15. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I'd make it into a pick-up truck.

16. I have to agree, best used as a 4-door party barge to have fun hauling all your buddies around. Or part it out, you can probably make money on it once you put in the work to take it apart and sell the pieces.

17. RodStRace

RodStRace

A conversion from 4 door to 2 door will take more effort than getting a 2 door.
    That's IF you finish the job. If you get stuck in project limbo, it will be scrap value.
    Get it running and driving, and then decide if you like it as-is or sell it.
    If you want a theme, 4 doors are nice as police cars, taxis or vintage family cars, but get it working before you go diving into finishing details.
    They are a bit tight in front, like almost all older cars. They have brakes that require different skills than modern drum brakes, but the rest of the mechanicals just require understanding and care. The few quirks are well documented.
    Look at the P15-D24 forums and the Imperial forum for details.

Here's my 47 from a few years back, currently in slumber in the garage
    [​IMG]

18. I’d drive that ugly car.

19. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Don't put a Chevy motor in it.

20. Tell us more about the car and show us some pics !!!

they steered , veered , and stopped just fine. Wayy ahead of anything Chevy and Ford where putting out at that time .

the interiors are fancy !

who cares if it’s a 4 door . Seems you got it for the right price , unless it’s a basket case missing a bunch of parts .

21. Yea. What he said.
    Pics man pics

22. evintho

evintho

Make it a comfortable, dependable cruiser. Find a '92 Cadillac Fleetwood, strip it down to bare chassis and drivetrain and drop the Chrysler body on top of it. Same wheelbase and track width. Boom....done!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. ChryslerRodder

ChryslerRodder

Not my Photoshop work but would be interesting if you're skilled with bodywork.
    48 custom.jpg

24. 1pickup

1pickup

Apparently, even the coupes aren't desirable. I have a pair (Dodge & Plymouth) I tried to sell & there is VERY little interest. If they were Fords, I could have sold them a long time ago for 3X the money. Just know if you put money into that barge, you will never recoup it.

25. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Denis4x4 is correct. Assuming it's not totally rotted out, that would make a very nice streetrod. Ya, I know, frowned at around these parts. But Tex's was just that, & close to traditional as well. Depends on what you want, & your P.O.V.
    Marcus...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. Squablow

Squablow

1948 Chrysler Windsor 4-door sedan - for sale - left side.png
    1948 Chrysler chop.jpg
    It could be done, you'd have to move the back of the roof forward a couple of feet, and extend the front door using the back half of the back door. The toughest part would be the trunklid area, the old trunk would be pretty useless from the tail lights up, so there would be a lot of fab work in that area.

If you're up for a big metalworking challenge, it could be fun, the 4 door sedans are pretty worthless to begin with. If you could get the trunklid and surrounding sheetmetal from a coupe, even a totally different year or model, just something of the era to work with, it'd make it a lot easier.

27. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree. It would have about the same cool look as a Hudson pickup:cool: 1.7.jpg 1.8.jpg

28. oldolds

oldolds

Taxi was mentioned above. They actually become interesting. Also Military staff car is another thing that can be done with it. Funeral car, dark color, brocade interior. While it would not be a "hot rod" it would be a fun car.

SuperKONR likes this.
  29. RodStRace

RodStRace

30. Paint it black and drive it!

SuperKONR likes this.