Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Exhaust too close to the starter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

I'm replacing the damaged ram's horn manifolds with block hugger headers and it's creating some clearance issues. I think I can handle them, but is this too close to the starter? The nub at the front of the starter is about 1/4" from the flange above it and about a finger width away from the down pipe. I suppose I could get a mini starter, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

1978 Chevy 350/350 in a 1959 Chevy Bel Air

starter.jpg

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

It's close, it might cause heat soak problems. A simple sheet metal sheild would help.

Why not go with a mini starter? Other than cost, I don't have any problem with them. I think GM went to a mini on the later pickups, shouldn't be any higher in price than the full sized ones.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    anthony myrick likes this.
  3. Get a factory gm mini starter from your local parts place . Not all that expensive . Pretty sure pickups from the late 80’s - 90’s had them .

you can either make a heat sheiks and cover the exhaust pipe or make one to cover the starter or both .

you can get that cloth heat sheild wrap for the starter and make a simple sheet metal heat sheild for the exhaust .

ladt thing you need is to go out for a nice drive snd then can’t start your rig for a couple hours , or at all !!

Truckdoctor Andy and mad mikey like this.
  4. As @VANDENPLAS states, the later model pickup starters are smaller, and high torque as well. I'm old, when I say later model, I usually referring to something from 30 years ago haha. They're available at any parts place. Put a heat shield on the end, and you should be good.

5. Hellfish

Hellfish

Thanks! Can you be more specific about the starter? I checked 1989 and 1995 c1500s and it looks like they bolt up completely differently than a 1978 (bolts through the bottom) and don't look any smaller. S10s/Blazers didn't have a v8.

6. Depending on flexplate/flywheel diameter there are 2 different bolt patterns on the starter. If you have a staggered bolt set up on your current, its a large diameter, uses GM part # 12606096,. If they are inline, then it's smaller diameter and uses GM 10455709. The parts store or other places should have cross reference for these numbers. Hope this helps.

7. Richard L

Richard L
    from Quincy, IL

You will cook the grease out of the bushing with the starter that close to the exhaust system .

bobss396 likes this.
  8. hepme

hepme

Heat dissipating heat shield--maybe. Smaller starter, little better. Mini starter--solution.

El Mirage Garage and dana barlow like this.
  9. Run it the way it is, I bet it would be fine.
    I would advise a good battery ground connection to the engine. Amazing how that will reduce/eliminate the hot start problem that we hear about.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  10. Look up a '98 starter (staggered bolt pattern) and you need new bolts also (they're shorter). It needs to say Permanent Magnet, they're smaller, lighter and less affected by heat.

REMY 96206 Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction Starter

[​IMG]

11. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

pprather>>>Run it the way it is, I bet it would be fine.>>>

2x.

pprather likes this.
  12. I've used "block hugger" headers on several small blocks without mini starters without issues. I can't imagine that this might be any different...

Jack E/NJ likes this.
  13. This is the HAMB. We love all things and old. Even hot start issues.
    But you’re probably fine.

Jack E/NJ, Truck64 and 427 sleeper like this.
  14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy