Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Not Everybody Liked Two Lane Blacktop…

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rehpotsirhcj, Mar 10, 2022.

1. indyjps

indyjps

It's not a good movie. I've still watched it at least a dozen times and own a copy.

2. mlagusis

mlagusis

my wife was one of those that did not like the movie. I liked the part where they pull up to the drive in "hey nice car Mr...I bet it's really fast..."

3. metalshapes

metalshapes

You wont realize how good this movie was until Nicolas Cage does a remake of it.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

5. I mean no disrespect , but I hope your joking .
    I refuse to watch the re-imagining of Gone in 60 seconds .

The original was simply awesome

A74D3FD7-A8E7-41DF-ACED-25A65A1D5C4A.jpeg 1D55E709-217A-43CE-893E-6B93B52D37A1.jpeg

there are very , very few movie remakes that live up to the originals .

tr_rodder, 210superair, Tman and 7 others like this.
  6. metalshapes

metalshapes

"I refuse to watch the re-imagining of Gone in 60 seconds .

The original was simply awesome"

Same here, and that was exactly my point.

In a way. this thread is a perfect metaphor for HAMB era Trad cars.
    ( with the people saying how they would "improve" this movie)

Yes, you can put disc brakes, EFI, and all kinds of modern shit on them.
    And they become more palatable for the contemporary consumer.

But they also loose everything that attracted us to them in the first place.
    ( and no amount of flat black paint or whitewalls is going to save them...)

Phillips, williebill, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  7. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Gone in 60 Seconds was fun to watch, but it's no Citizen Kane. :) I've seen better production values and acting skills in high school one act plays.

tr_rodder, rod1, 210superair and 2 others like this.
  8. Or on "The Simpsons"!

210superair and 427 sleeper like this.

9. 1DA5EFCF-EEBE-44D5-91CA-4335672CB082.gif

Thanks for clearing that up , thought I was going to need to call you a doctor !:D

Citizen Kane gone in 60 seconds is not , but at least there’s a storyline !!!

If it wasn’t for the cars, two lane black top is nothing , there really is no point to the movie , just scenes of nonsense in between some top gear action .

wraymen likes this.
  10. metalshapes

metalshapes

"it's no Citizen Kane."
    Everything I've ever seen by Welles was pretentious and self important, so you are right.

These movies are not that... :)

Tman, williebill, Paul and 1 other person like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

OK then......
    Just a few shots to break the monotony.

upload_2022-3-15_16-53-42.png

upload_2022-3-15_16-54-8.png

upload_2022-3-15_16-54-56.png

upload_2022-3-15_16-57-42.png

12. squirrel

squirrel

thanks!

hey...I never noticed it before, but this 61

[​IMG]

looks exactly like a car that a friend of mine parted out a while back. And it's in Arizona...but the wrong corner of the state.

13. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

harlow was scandalous--didn't wear underwear!

14. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

we were so stoned we couldn't not like it

15. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Knew I liked her..

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I believe in the beginning Taylor says it's a 454. Was 1970 the first production year?

mad mikey and chevy57dude like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yes it was, this 16 year old got to drive a new LS-6/4speed Chevelle.
    Still gives me chills!

18. Another clip from one of the better scenes
    DD5BE11D-7544-4CD9-B9A2-5985B11D9BEC.jpeg
    A little more of the yellow truck

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4" cranks were available pretty early as race parts. By 68 or 9 (when was CAN AM?) 496 was also in play. Common? No, but this was 71 so not unheard of. Not cheap yet either.

I was sorry I invested the time I did spend on the original "gone in 60..." because story or not, it was just let's wreck a shitload of cars and do stunts. Maybe this shit was so hard to get for me I saw it that way. So many love it.

Jean Harlow? Not bad, but she was no Lombard. The grapefruit scene from Public Enemy was reportedly adlib and her reaction was real. You decide. Favorite line as his Cadillac is parked, "...there's gears in there that ain't no Ford!"

echo ed likes this.
  20. Lots of pics of Harlow and cars.
    Probably my favorite of em

130A1471-39F5-4562-AB3E-7DCE890146AE.jpeg

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I watched it. 30 years and a good clear DVD, knowledge and an eye for details. I loved it. No really, I did. Things I forgot, things I never saw before, but I did then and tonight hate the ending. They "disappeared" into their life of choice and maybe that was edgy for 71. New movies leave you hangin all the time. Overall I really dug it more than before. AND I didn't fall asleep...;)

22. cornfield county

cornfield county
    from Indiana

Its still better that the trash Hollywood has been churning out for years.

23. BigJim394

BigJim394

When this movie came out I was a bit freshman commuting to college in my 40 Tudor (with a dual quad full house 394 olds /B&M hydro). I was deciding between a geology or a film major. I had been involved in amateur film making through highs hook and had attended many independent /underground film festivals and screenings. At that time most underground films were made by college student types and were in black and white and less than 40 minutes in lengt

24. BigJim394

BigJim394

(Continued). TLB was more like an underground film than a mainstream Hollywood release. I saw MANY underground/ independent films that you could not figure out. Many would just all of a sudden, end. At some film festivals there would be question and answer sessions with the film makers and some of them would say about their films is that “they were what you wanted them to be.” Watch the movie Zabriskie Point for a similar incomprehensible film.
    They would not say what the meaning of the film was. Anyways I enjoyed TLB, but never tried to analyze its meaning.
    This was the first acting James Taylor did. He had reportedly just detoxed from a heavy duty multi year heroin addiction when the filming began. Maybe it was different on the west coast, but hotrodders in the northeast did not look at all like Taylor. He looked like dirtbags who would approach you at local hot rod hangouts to see if you wanted to buy some stolen car parts,

25. 327Eric

327Eric

I waited for years until I found it, watched it and was left wondering what just happened. I finally figured out to put it on mute and It was ok. Just talking about the plot mind you, the cars are awesome. I may do the sliding window in my Henry J. I also learned that all I had to do to fix anything was change the jets.

26. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I don't know if I heard it on the special features on the dvd I have of the movie but there was a commentary part where they discussed why it took so long to be released to video. They claimed it was because of the rights to the music that was featured in the film. There was no way of editing it without the music and I believed it had to do with the use The Doors song "Moonlight Drive" which caused most of the issue.

27. leon bee

leon bee

Since this is still going on I might add another angle to this film. While it was being made, I was living in a hole in a far off foreign land. We all thought about home a lot. When I finally got home, there was the whole USA spread out in front of me......and it looked just fucking exactly like that movie. I remember it pretty clearly, and that's the part which could never be re-created. Fuck the plot.

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm thinking the movies/films made over the years have a direct association with welding.............hang with me here...........just because you own a movie camera does not make you a filmmaker.
    I own a welder but I am no weldor!

'28phonebooth and Tickety Boo like this.
  29. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

Nobody has mentioned 'roadhouse 66'...